Covid 19

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Trusteft, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Damn had not realised there was so many I thought the UK had just gone ahead with the Pfizer one and that was it, will admit i am starting to lose interest in the news as it happens now

From what I understand here in the UK people under 18 wont get the vaccine, dont understand the logic myself

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

That makes no sense. If you want to starve the virus, everyone must take it.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Probably because they are considered to be a low risk category. Still, I'm not sure that's the right strategy. Like Trusteft said, if you want to eliminate a disease, everyone should get a vaccine. Itćs probably a cost-cutting or a measure aimed at 'eliminating' shortages.

Trusteft likes this.
  4. Trusteft

It reminds me of the stupid HPV vaccine not being freely available to adults. The reasoning is that most people will have sex by then and probably already have it. But not only not everyone has sex by 18 , but also the vaccine helps even when someone already has the HPV to reduce the risk of both getting sick (aka cancer) and spreading it to others.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Welp... "Murica's screwed then... These idiots around here aren't gonna fall for that "vaccine with a tracking device in it" :rolleyes:

6. IvanV

To be fair, and unfortunately, it's not just America. EU is worried that around 25% of population likely wouldn't take the vaccine, but I think it's a lot worse here in Serbia. It is scary stuff, though, imagine Bill Gates uploading Windows Vista onto everyone's chip! ;)

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

A lot of these people only have 128K of RAM... Vista won't run...

IvanV and Trusteft like this.
  8. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

This is how my home town of Nottingham looks like currently... Here we are supposed to be a Tier Three area and to be the Toughest without being in a National Lockdown that we have been released from only a few days ago.

I have Been able to go to work and and have been following the current rules (And in the mean time has become so confusing over the last few weeks) We can not Visit Family Or Friends :(

But Can go shopping and stand within Strangers (Not Myself as i am looking after My dad) and i only go to the shops for food only. Anything else is ordered online and delivered.

These are not My photos, But are from my local News websites...

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

9. IvanV

Taken from an article discussing how many Americans would take the vaccine given the chance (source).

upload_2020-12-5_22-48-24.png

10. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Nottingham's controversial Christmas market has "temporarily" closed - just one day after it opened. Due to Many Many Complaints about Social Distancing had gone within the wind...

_115815825_b82051d5-fcec-4388-860b-6325700307a9.jpg

11. IvanV

It's sad, but it was probably beyond silly to try to have it in the first place under the current circumstances.

12. Trusteft

Fucking morons.

Stay safe buddy.

MIG-31 likes this.
  13. IvanV

So, a couple of days ago, I was speculating. Our prime minister said that they managed to get in touch with Pfizer (it was very difficult) and they told her that, sure, they would supply us with their vaccine, we could get it somewhere in Q4 2021. We are probably going to get some doses of it earlier through Covax, but that will go to the health workers and the privileged (police and military), not the people. So, with that out of the picture, Oxford/AstraZeneca back in testing, and not much being said about either Moderna or SinoVac, I concluded that the most likely candidate to appear here is Sputnik V, which is over 90% successful based on the data of around 30 documented test subjects. :rolleyes: And then, as an additional twist, I thought it would be a nice bonus if we were to make the vaccine ourselves in our national lab, under the Russian license. In our national lab which didn't make a single vaccine in 15 years (and then they made one for the flu this fall, which was initially aimed at the elderly, but then it was revoked for everyone 65 or older).

Guess what, the headlines in tomorrow's papers say that we're getting Sputnik V, in March at the latest, produced by us under the Russian license!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Trusteft likes this.
  14. Trusteft

I'm so sorry.

15. center_table

center_table Member

It is indeed scary!

16. IvanV

I find comfort in the fact that, with the track record that those couple of papers have, it's probably more likely that they are wrong than that they are right. Having said that, I don't see regular folk around here getting the vaccine any time soon.

Also, a couple of certain facts from this part of the globe are that
    1. yesterday, we hit an all time high for the number of people on respiratory support;
    2. also yesterday, the crisis management team, or whoever, extended the opening hours for shops that sell non-essentials, malls, cafes, restaurants etc to more or less their usual times EDIT: But they will be closed during the weekend, as decided this morning or whenever.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Trusteft likes this.
  17. Trusteft

Morons. Absolute morons.

18. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

So let's say you can get a vaccine with no problem at all now. Will you vaccinate? :)

19. IvanV

Yes. :) More or less whichever is available, though I'd prefer one with properly documented three trial phases.

Trusteft likes this.
  20. Trusteft

Of course.

arb65912 likes this.