Covid 19

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Trusteft, Mar 11, 2020.

1. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

strange times
    hope everyone is looking after themselves
    here’s Jedi paws being a cutesy this morning to cheer you up

[​IMG]

Calliers, IvanV, Trusteft and 3 others like this.
  2. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

Cute cat! :) Here is ours... sorry for the off-topic reply.:p

Attached Files:

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Not my video. Downtown Thessaloniki (where I live). Recorded on the 25th I believe. 2 days in the general lockdown ordered by the government here.
    Recorded in the afternoon according to the owner, it's quite dark as for days now we have rain here.
    Still, the parts shown are usually filled with people no matter what the weather. It's shocking seeing any area of this city void of people, but in particular the areas in this video.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Better half wants to go for a walk, but doesn't want to be that irresponsible person who goes out for a walk during an epidemic and state of emergency. Solution: "We really need to go to that large market that's more than 4km away." On foot, of course.

5. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Well after seeing a message sent to me via Facebook messenger, London looks like it will be in lockdown by the end of this weekend, the rest of the country will follow within the next week..

So it looks like as from today, I have to suspended my business for the next couple of months.. knew it were coming to that.

6. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

So it is me or is everyone getting less Spam during this .. I have absolutely noticed a reduction

7. IvanV

There's a not half bad joke starting at 3:30.

8. MIG-31

Dear all,

This is a full and frank message. Please forward to the rest of the family, and your loved ones if you choose.

I had a meeting today with our Medical Director, who has been in touch with government. The following therefore has some authority.

By the weekend, London will be in full lockdown, with Army manned checkpoints. Only key workers, NHS staff, police, ambulance, fire, delivery drivers, and teachers looking after the children of the above, will be allowed to move around the city.

By next week, those restrictions will apply to the country.

Tonight Lewisham Hospital is overwhelmed, ambulances on divert, and only a few ventilators left. QEH is close behind. My Trust is in the frontline of this epidemic, mainly due to local demographics. The rest of the NHS is probably little more than a week behind. We have denied critical care to four patients today, who will die as a result.

I must now be clear. Anyone over 75 years old will be denied critical care; anyone over 65 with diseases, eg diabetes, COPD, will be denied critical care. We are ramping up palliative care services. If an elderly patient falls sick, and requires hospital care, there will be an immediate DNAR order on them. They will be palliated, and they will live or die. The government forecast of 250,000 deaths is, we believe, hopelessly optimistic.

The mortality rate is very high in the elderly. The ICU stay on a ventilator even in survivors is about three weeks. We will run out of ventilators in a week.

The Army is setting up field hospitals, no doubt with squaddies manually bagging patients.

You will not hear this from Boris Johnson for a few days. But please be assured it is coming. We are two weeks behind Italy.

For the family therefore, anyone over 65 is to self isolate, possibly for many weeks. Maintain contact through frequent video calls. If they need food or supplies, take them over and leave the bags on the doorstep, and wave at them from at least a six foot distance. They are not to touch the bags for 15 minutes. Do not visit for 14 days if you or anyone in your household is unwell with and fever, cough or 'flu like symptoms. If you are unwell, stay indoors, along with your whole family. Have a neighbour or a friend drop off supplies, with no social contact.

We need to blunt the curve, which is right now exponentially rising.

For myself, you cannot imagine the stress we are under. The awful decisions we will have to make. We will be taking otherise healthy 60 year olds off a ventilator to die so we can save a 30 year old.

Please stay safe. I'll email when I can with news from the frontline.

9. IvanV

I don't know what your source is, so I hope it's just one of those messages. I don't think that any nation has implemented such a blunt policy so far, although in case of shortages and emergencies, at any time, it is standard procedure to assess who has the best chances and the most years of life to be saved.

Having said that, apparently, here, a 47 year old man was admitted because of a heart attack and died 8 hours later. Reportedly, he was not treated in any way for the first 4 hours, until his corona test came back (it was negative). So there's that.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  10. MIG-31

I actually have Two Members that Work in the Care service (One is NHS the Other Local Council Related)

Another Who works for the Local Council Enforcement (Currently on Maternity Leave) all three had that message sent to them... Can not say if that is 100% Genuine or not.. But I that is what were posted to me via facebook messenger by one of them..

11. IvanV

We just made this accidental discovery in the cupboard:

IMG_20200329_154650s.jpg

Apparently, it's a 6 kilo can of candies, most likely from the 80's, possibly older. Of course, grandpa ate all the candies ages ago, but someone, possibly my grandma, filled it to the brim with flour, which is a nice catch at this hour. The flour is perfectly fine, tastes normal and not a moth in sight. Grandma has been gone for around ten years, bless her soul.

Tyrsonswood and Calliers like this.
  12. Trusteft

You can eat candles?

13. IvanV

I think I wrote "candies" everywhere. Is it ok to write "a box of candies" or does it need to be "a box of candy" (are candies countable?!).

Trusteft and arb65912 like this.
  14. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

Both ways work for my Polish English ... but I am sure the language gards will respond here soon.:D

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

It's correct either way...

But back to eating these candles... How hungry would one have to be to think of that.

Asking for a friend.

Calliers, Trusteft and IvanV like this.
  16. Trusteft

Interesting how the brain works some rimes.

17. Trusteft

The virus can stay on the surface of products (plastic, paper, metal) for days depending on various conditions. The 15 minutes are I assume for the breathable air near it, not the products. The products need to be cleaned with proper solution, then have the hands washed thoroughly.

18. IvanV

That's true. Although, in practice, "days" is fortunately a bit of a stretch too. It's the outer limit at which a sufficiently sensitive test may be able to detect the virus. It doesn't mean that the virus is still there in sufficient quantity to cause an infection as we usually need to take in a certain amount of a pathogen for it to be able to start the disease.

19. Trusteft

Mr Cairo, Calliers and IvanV like this.
  20. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Now thats the advert they should be using

Trusteft likes this.