CPU and Heatsink cleaning old thermal paste

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by SeaWulf, Sep 27, 2008.

1. SeaWulf

SeaWulf Active Member

On my new PC my motherboard was bad so I am getting a new motherboard (RMA).

How do you clean the cpu(e8600) and heatsink and what cleaning agent should I use?

Any suggestions?

thanks

I will be using artic silver as a paste

2. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

i just wipe the old paste from the CPU with a towel, or some old rags, clean ofecourse, that goes the same for the heatsink, but i whipe it off several times, so the heatsink is really clean, same goes for the CPU.

3. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

You can use alcohol. I am using ArctiClean set (Thermal material remover + Thermal surface purifier).

1. clean the CPU and heatsink.
    2. Put a drop of Arctic Silver grease on the CPU and use a plastic bag on your finger to evenly distribute it in a thin layer over the whole surface of the CPU.
    3. Grease that's left on the plastic bag can be rubbed on the heatsink.

4. GigaWatt

hmmmmm.... that seems to be a good choise, although i don't use Arctic Silver (or whatever it is called, i've nerver even heard of that kind of thermal paste untill you guys mentioned it here, and some other places on the forum :D), i just found a little can of thermal paste in a radio shack store, u use that for now, and it seems to do the job pritty good. the thermal paste is white, although i've seen some thermal pastes that are colourless (seethrough). is that the kind of thermal paste you are talking about?

5. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Arctic Silver is (prepare for a big shock :hmm: ) silver.
    It's probably the best stuff you can get, i've got a little tube of it myself and it's lasting me a long time because you only have to use a tiny bit to get good results still

6. jp306

jp306 New Member

Use Alcohol that is 91% isopropyl or higher...The lower % Alcohol leaves a residue behind and that is not good. Rite-Aid has it for cheap too...

7. GigaWatt

wow, silver, hahahaha :D, i've never seen that colour on a thermal paste before, :D. anyway, this paste i use is mostly intended to be used in electroinc componets, like amplifiers (those big TO-9 transistor cases need to be kept cool somehod ;) ), but i use it on CPU's and GPU's also, when the GPU heatsink needs a thermal paste replacement, the fabric thermal paste vaporizes after a while (after about 3 or 4 years), so it needs replacemnet. the one i'm using for now seems to do the job, so i'm sticking to it untill i ran out of thermal paste, then i migh think about bying Arctic Silver ;).

i think you can buy it in pharmicies too, and i think it's called "denatured alchohol", but there are different kinds of it and in different soultion percentiges. in most pharmacies there is a 75% denatured alchohol, but in some places you could (probaly) find even 98% solutions of the same stuff ;). so if you do, i think this is you best choise. ;)

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i use 99% isopropyl with Q-Tip name brand cotten swabs..... alot of the store bought stuff is 70-73% some are even lower..

the 99% stuff is actually cheaper (wha?) for me anyways.... you have to go to a health center to get it (hospital). cost me $1.54 for 900ml bottle. Zero residue... and it cuts into just about anything (actually on some heatsinks that use a thermal pad instead of paste.... i usually poor a bit on it and let it sit for a bit.... the thermal pad quite often just oventually lifts right up and off)

9. Mousey

I read an article in PC Gamer about a guy that used Brake Grease off his car as a thermal paste and it actually worked, even shaved about 8 degrees off his cpu temp :D
    As long as it does the job you're pretty much sorted, toothpaste (the non gel stuff) can be a temporary solution but it burns up in about a week and it's abbrasive so it can leave nasty residue on your CPU heatspreader ;)

10. GigaWatt

hahahahha :D lol, i've never heard of this one before, hahahahahah :D, but thanks for the tip anyway, if i ran out of thermal paste i would keep this in mind. hmmmmm... but what if i ran out of tooth paste too...hahahahha... :p:D

11. Mousey

Then we'd have to start questioning your personal hygiene :p
    Remember the gel stuff doesn't work, only the white stuff (ew :rofl: ).
    Anything with a high boiling point and that's liquid or gooey should work just fine i think, it's only there as a stopgap between the HS and the CPU :)

12. GigaWatt

yeah, but would it have a high temperature transmission coefficient, i think that is what matters.

whell, for a short period of time, if toothpaste does the trick, so would the interior rubber of a bucicle do, you would just have to cut it the right way...

you know, i was thinking, where there any threads here on DH about fixing CPU and other kind of fans, cuz i've been fixing mine for a long period of time, i still use the sme ones from my old PII mashine (atleast for the case and the power supply, the CPU and the GPU fans are much bigger these days :D), why buy new ones when you could fix you old ones. so if there wasn't, i could probably open up a thread, right...?

13. Judas

Anything that is relatively heat conductive.... that's liquid.. that has a high resilience against drying up..... remaing a liquid like state while not becoming to sparce..... will work..

it's not recommended to use just anything....

Someone could likely use something from you local burger kings grease trap to do the job somewhat..... still... it's not entirely effective.... and while something alternative may shave a few points off initially the end results could be pretty nasty.

It's like relying on LN2 to cool your machine, i mean sure it's amazing, but it only lasts so long..... don't think many people like reapplying thier alternative thermal paste that often..... specially if you don't know how long it'll last.

14. GigaWatt

i know this might sound noobie like :)D) but... what is LN2??? is it liquid neno or something...?

15. Judas

Liquid Nitrogen

16. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

I tried many thermal greases and the best results were achieved with Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Cooling MX-2. I am using MX-2 at the moment.

17. GigaWatt

oh, i forgot that N is the chemical sigh for Nitrogen (it's a whole different prnounciation where i come from, that's why i got confused ;) )

18. SeaWulf

SeaWulf Active Member

thanks for the suggestions............

very interesting responses for what I thought was a dull subject matter