CPU fan Turning off when i play RDR2 (PLEASE HELP)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Joe Harvey, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Joe Harvey

Joe Harvey New Member

First of all i am HOPELESS with hardware.

problem: When i launch RDR2 or GTAV, fans of the GPU and CPU will firstly be quite loud, but around 10 minutes into the games the CPU fan i can see is not turning and it is flinching as if someone is lightly tapping it

I am using CPU Tweak II to minimally overclock my GPU (image attached to thread), My initial thoughts were that this could be taking the power from the CPU and making it not work perhaps?

I thought if anything the cpu should be spinning very fast instead of not at all, considering it spins when i dont even play games and the time for it to spin should be during the games.

SPECS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (dragon series)
    i5 8600K Coffee Lake 6 Core 3.6GHz
    16GB DDR4 HyperX RAM
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit

i will respond quickly, and i would INSANELY appreciate anyone's help

$5 if anyone fixes without me having to pay for anything

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  2. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

It could be caught on a cable. As that is kind of the way fans act when they are caught on a cable, but if you say it spins normally then stops when you play games then I really don't know what is causing that. You are right in that it should be spinning always while the computer is on.

Joe Harvey likes this.
  3. Joe Harvey

Joe Harvey New Member

Thanks for your reply!! No, it's definitely not a cable or anything in the way, i even removed it and put it back in again and still no luck :(

4. Calliers

I don't know, but I'm guessing your BIOS might be at fault here, but wait for people who know more about this like @Judas.

Joe Harvey likes this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

What happens if you don't use this CPU Tweak at all... No overclocking, no fan control. Just run it straight up.

Joe Harvey likes this.
  6. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Sounds more like a mechanical problem to me. Have you tried removing the CPU fan and giving it a good clean? Compressed air would be good to blow any dust out - if not you can just blow on it and use a vacuum cleaner to remove any debris. Try that and see if it makes any difference.

Also you say that the CPU stops! Do you mean the system crashes or shuts down. What PSU do you have in your machine?

IvanV and Joe Harvey like this.
  7. Joe Harvey

Joe Harvey New Member

It could well be, as in the past i have tampered with the BIOS settings by accident not knowing what i am doing, however when i viewed the fan control settings they seem to have full power when the cpu gets around 60 or 70 degrees C but i am still unsure.

8. Joe Harvey

Joe Harvey New Member

Just tried that now and the same problem happens... :(

9. Joe Harvey

Joe Harvey New Member

Yes i have tried removing the CPU fan and using compressed air onto it and made sure there was nothing obstructing it from moving, even after that the problem still reoccurs sadly

and my mistake with the title i meant to say CPU fan, however sometimes the cpu will overheat and crash but that hasn't happened in a while.

My PSU specs should be attached to this thread,

also huge thanks to everyone who has replied it really means a lot cheers!

Attached Files:

10. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Sounds like a faulty fan. I don't know how much sense that makes, but it's possible that it dislodges somehow when it gets up to really high rpm. Maybe it wouldn't go into that if it were set to spin slightly more slowly. Even so, that would probably be only a temporary solution, so I'd try to replace the fan.

Joe Harvey and Dyre Straits like this.
  11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I liked this response. The only thing I could think to add would be that, if it IS the fan, it should be making a loud clacking sound IMHO.

AND, it ONLY happens with these two games? ???

What if you try some benchmarks and stress tests? Such as 3D Mark?

Joe Harvey likes this.
  12. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Better suggestion: replace the entire heatsink and fan. You can replace the fan itself, but it's more cost and time efficient to just replace the whole thing.. The actual Intel fan/heatsink you can get for $20 from guys like Newegg, probably cheaper if you look around. They also have a bigger version for better heat dispersion called the BXTS15A that is around $45. At both price points though you could go with a 3rd party cooler.

Some cases have a cutout on the opposite side of the motherboard tray to allow access the back of the motherboard where the CPU sits by simply removing the opposite side panel (and thus not having to remove the motherboard to install the heatsink/fan). If yours doesn't then your "easiest" option is to find a cooler that mounts the same way the current Intel one does via the push-pin design:

- Arctic Alpine 12 : same size as the Intel if space (height and width) is an issue due to your case
    - Cooler Master T2 : larger heatsink that uses as standard 120mm fan, so if it ever dies you can easily replace it
    - Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 : same as above
    - DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 : same as above

If your case allows you to access the motherboard where the CPU sits then you can switch over to a plate design (plate sits on the back of the board, screws come in from the CPU side to mount to it):

- Cooler Master i30 : same size as the Intel if space (height and width) is an issue due to your case
    - Cooler Master Evo 212 : larger heatsink that uses as standard 120mm fan, so if it ever dies you can easily replace it

Pricing of the above ranges from $20 up to $40.

One thing to note: the "larger" tower designs you need to take into account where the 120mm fans sits. In some instances the fan can come very close or block the first RAM slot next to the CPU. If you can give us your motherboard and case specs we might be able to help with figuring out if it's better to stick with the smaller design, or if you can use the towers).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Joe Harvey, Tyrsonswood and IvanV like this.
  13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I can't see how it's hardware if it just happens in two games... Something else is going on here.

If a stress test does the same thing, then Yeah, it's hardware.

Joe Harvey likes this.
  14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

sounds like a buggered fan profile or conflict in software.

Short of knowing entirely what has been used, there a lot of people that have used even just msi afterburner to initially view thing and without realizing what they did, causing fan profiles to bugger up.

I'd say short of doing a full clean install to ensure that no weird lingering background program is doing something odd, or 3rd party software (such as those provided by the oem/motherbuard manufacturer which are prone to buggering with things)... Even Corsair's iCUE software is known to screw shit up for no apparent reason. The only thing really suitable is to perform a bios reset, perhaps bios update as well and then check it out.

I've seen weirder.

A cpu fan looking like it's being flicked tends to suggest that the power delivery has dropped to unsuitable levels. It's rather rare to see an intel cpu fan fall of the ledge but it's not impossible. You could try moving the cpu fan cable from the cpu header to another fan header and see how it responds, additional you'll need to plug a fan into the cpu header in order to prevent the system from complaining about a cpu fan failure. See how the 2 respond.

Joe Harvey likes this.
  15. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest 3 things:

1) double check that the CPU fan header is connected to the right header on the motherboard
    2) reset the bios back to default or at the very least put all fan profiles back to Standard Mode or Auto
    3) if the OP hasn't done so yet, try upgrading the bios in case there were any fixes for fans in later versions

I'd still like to know what mobo the OP has.

Joe Harvey likes this.
  16. Calliers

The OP seems to have left, and who knows if he may return.

Joe Harvey likes this.
  17. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I'm leaning toward a borked fan profile in some app or even the driver since I think they also have game profiles for such things.

QB

18. Joe Harvey

Joe Harvey New Member

Thank you all for your amazing efforts and replies in helping me overcome this problem!! cannot stress this enough THANK YOU ALL!

I haven't been able to respond for a while because i have fully replaced the CPU fan and heatsink, which all seems to be working perfectly well. I believe that the problem started with the overclocking unit allowing the gpu to use 110% of its energy allowance, thus stealing it from the cpu fan power.
    After uninstalling the overclocking unit the problem still occured and it had permanently put the 110% in a cpu fan file causing it to corrupt and then not work when the usage exceeds 90%. After installing this new fan, the new fan profiles were refreshed and the pc runs the games perfectly without the fan stopping

Again thanks to all who took the time to respond and i really appreciate your dedication!

19. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Cool! :) Thanks for posting back, it's always good to know how things ended. :)

Calliers likes this.