CPU Stress App

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Eman Resu, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Eman Resu

Eman Resu Blues man

Hi everybody! I've just bought a PIV~2660 and raised bus speed to meet 3.0Ghz (no temp problems). But I want to test estability with a heavy app during a long time. Do you know any app to stress the cpu? I'll be very thankfully ^^

btw, while I was waiting for my new Ram Modules (I broke one of them), I used aquamark3, and I got 30225 pts. It's this ok? I'm using a radeon9500pro with latest omegas clocked 280/280. Here's my result Aquamark results

2. peroni

peroni New Member

3. Schtopper

Schtopper New Member

Prime95 is a pretty good stability tester, not only will it push your CPU to full load and thus raise your temps it can fail ( a sign of non-100% stable) without killing the rest of th system. As it says in the read me your system may be capable of running windows for weeks, playing games for hours or various of other things you regard as stressful but this will show up any small signs of instability. Leave it running for as long as you like although they recommend around 15 hours to be certain its fairly stable.

4. Eman Resu

Eman Resu Blues man

Thanks both of you :D I'll try this weekend! I'm carefull with this things (just take in count how expensive is a p4 processor). Anyway, I checked temperature and it's 23 idle and 30~31º encoding in divx with full cpu usage. So i think it's safe. Just another question, there's much difference between CL2 and CL2.5 memory (besides price ^^)?

nice gaming rig peroni! ;p

5. peroni

peroni New Member

6. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

What cooler are you using and what are you using to measure that temp? We really could use your full system specs here on this one. Your temps seem very low to me, and if they are incorrect you could cause damage to your system using Prime 95 as well as other stress tests. Be sure that you have everything checked and double checked.......it is the little thing that you missed that will make your wallet inherently thin.:eek:

7. Eman Resu

Eman Resu Blues man

My full specs are as follows:

mobo: Gigabyte 845ie533
    cpu: P4 2660 (northwood, bus speed 533mhz)
    hd: WD 80GB Caviar edition (don't remeber the full name), 7200rpm 8M cache
    case: Air blue S/F (2 case coolers 120mm)
    cpu cooler: GreenCooler (seems to run quite well).

the other stuffs that makes up a system ^^
    cpu temp is taken from the mobo info. Looked in bios and with the app distributed with gigabyte mobos. Take in count that the room where my computer is is now at 15-20º (hell of cold!).

8. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

ok

that would have something to do with the temps
    :D

hope the stress test go well

Prime 95 will really work your system over.......and the one that is in Sandra 2004 will work it over pretty good too!!

Let us know how it goes:D

9. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

You could also try this little app Toast

10. Eman Resu

Eman Resu Blues man

Thanks! I'll check it tonight (here it's 9:59) and I'll let you know ^^

11. Eman Resu

Eman Resu Blues man

It seems to run stable. I've only tested it for one hour. Tonight I'll be more severe. But first impression is good. I've installed a termal sensor and I've seen mobo doesn't report temperature correctly. It's 3-4º smaller than the real temperature. Anyway, at 3Ghz full load it doen't go beyond 30º. Let's wait to see it in summer :D

I'll let you know how it performs

**edit**

well, it seems I was wrong. I used cpuburn and temp goes up to 45ºC. It seems like I need a better cooler. Or maybe this app it's too hard ^^'

Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  12. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

Those apps are supposed to be hard on your system......and thus can cause damage if precautions aren't taken.....like good cooling. If something is week in your system.....they will let you know what it is. But keep in mind.....if you are going to overclock......and run severe testing to check for stability......then you really do need the best cooling solution that you can afford.

13. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Not so at all! A lot of people tend to go crazy for no reason with temperatures these days. 45C is easily just fine. Actually it sounds a bit lower than expected with full loard at 3GHz unless your room temperature is really cool.

14. peroni

peroni New Member

45ºC is nothing to worry about.

Anyway, cpuburn is the most stressful tool for a cpu, no real application will heat it up that much.
    Maybe you should overclock more? :D

15. Eman Resu

Eman Resu Blues man

hahahaha maybe I should try, but I'm afraid my parents would kill me if something goes wrong. Anyway, my room is REAL COLD. Believe me, my hands hurts as I type this. Fuel ran out and we've no heat system! As I posted a little upper, let's see it in summer :p here we reach 40-45º C. It's like hell. You could cook eggs in the street. I'll test a bit more

16. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

besides cas their is the timeings to consider and the NS of the chips used!!!

I have a program tht will use what ever % of the cpu time load youd like 0-100%
    youd have to pm me and ill get you a link if you want