cpu temps are all over the place.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dark Lord, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

this is something thats been annoying me for a little while now...

Cpu - Toledo X2 4800+ (stock)
    HS - Coolermaster Hyper TX2 (not great, i know, but it was free)
    Mobo - Asus A8v Deluxe, 1.17 bios

my case temps are always at 27-30C.

some days ill be idling away at 30-33C on my cpu, and then the next it will be idling at 40-43c (like right now) and chances are tomorrow it will be back at the 30-33C range.

no matter what though, max load temps never go above 52C.

ive been keeping an eye on my video card temps to see if that is some how playing a roll in the variances, but its always idling away at 40-44c.

2. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

How are your ambients temps? And 3C in your case could affect the cooling capacity of the heatsink itself, but highly unlikely. I would also imagine some of the temperature changes is to do with the processor throttling, or could very well be just a misread of your temp sensors.

Try using coretemp (newest version) and see what it says.

3. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

the thing is clean right?

4. Dark Lord

im running coretemp version 0.95, the newest one i believe. and also asus probe.

ambient temps are... i dunno, 70F or so. (rivatuner is a mile off on that one. says its 56C right now. some how i dont think im breaking the laws of thermal dynamics inside my case right now, what with my vid card temps being 40c and my cpu temps being 42c right now)

like i said, case temps are always at 27-30C

5. Dark Lord

not clean enough that id be willing to eat out of it, but about as clean as it gets around here.

6. Dark Lord

and just as i said.. temps are back down today.

26c case, 32c cpu.

7. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

During the times of slightly higher ambient temperatures, are any background processes running (virus database updates, updates, etc)? What are you using to measure idle temperatures?

8. Dark Lord

nope, nothing else is ever running. cpu usage is normally varying between 0-5%.

im using both core temp and asusprobe.

9. ChaosMinionX

How old is the hardware? it could just be the temp sensor failing.

10. Dark Lord

no clue on the motherboard, i bought it used and have had it for about a month. the cpu is barely a month old.

11. ChaosMinionX

I would just ignore it :)

12. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I can't remember at the moment, but does that board have any CPU throttling features in the bios that might be on?

Asus is famous for enabling SpeedStep with their Intel boards. I was getting piss poor performance on some high end machines I built until I realized the board was throttling the CPU, and sure enough in the bios SpeedStep was on. This, btw, is a feature normally only seen in a laptop, and must have been the first time I'd ever seen it used on a desktop board.

13. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

"Asus is famous for enabling SpeedStep with their Intel boards"

you mean the BIOS option to the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST) function of Intel CPU?

the CPU EIST is the supported feature of Intel Core 2 Duo Desktop processors, all the motherboards that i use now and in the past year that supports Intel Core 2 Duo processors have the BIOS option to enable/disable the CPU's feature, and the option is enabled by default.

14. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

Meh, if you aren't getting any hard locks, strange performance glitches, or black screens - I probably wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

15. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Damn, I can't believe I let that one slip. I normally don't even think about that listing as it is normally off by default on Intels own boards (which I mostly sell), and I put it out of my head what it stood for. GDamnit. LOL.

<Wow.. this mud sure is warm on the face... >

And now that you mention it I have noticed it on by default in other manufacturers boards, however since I normally only sell Intel boards for the majority of systems, and for cheaper machines I use Asus or AsRock, I've never paid attention to it anywhere else except on those brands I mentioned as they list it as SpeedStep.

Wow.. how embarrassing. :oops:

16. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

lol Tips it's all okay. well, if i can recall, there was a time or two when some certain beta BIOS's had the BIOS's option to the CPU function turned off by default. but mostly the option is turned on by default.

also, (i can't recall so i'm sure on this) if BIOS has a feature to detect the installed processor, then the BIOS's option to the CPU function might turn off by default.

Intel Pentium D processors (no support for Intel Enhanced Halt State (C1E), but EIST on most processors)...
    830 / 840 / 915 / 925 / 930 / 935 / 940 / 945 / 950 / 960 supports CPU EIST
    805 / 820 / 920 have no support for CPU EIST

Intel Pentium 4 processors...
    most or maybe all 6xx series processors (630 / 631 / 640 / 641 / 650 / 651 / 660 / 661 / 662 / 670 / 672) supports both Intel C1E and EIST.
    most or maybe all 5xx series only supports C1E, but have no support for CPU EIST.

sorry, i've gone offtopic quite a bit already.