CPU UNWORKABLE - BD7-II

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by misae, Aug 24, 2002.

1. misae

misae New Member

Hi there everybody.

I have a slight problem at the moment and need some help in figuring out where the problem lies.

I have an Abit BD7-II which worked fine with my previous processor a P4 2.0A GHz.

Now I purchased a new P4 2.0A GHz processor and when I boot up I get the message "CPU unworkable - please check speed in Soft Menu"

To try and fix this problem I have checked I am using the defaults in the BIOS. I have checked it is at 20x100MHz at default voltage and that speed error is not enabled.

I have checked the RAM settings also and tried a different stick of RAM but I get the same problem. I am 100% positive it is not a problem with any BIOS setting per se.

Is it the CPU that is causing this error or the motherboard?

I can still run the P4 but cannot touch any settings in the BIOS as they go to default when that message appears "CPU unworkable - please check speed in Soft Menu"

I do not have aother P4 to test unfortunately but any pointers would be sweet.

And yes I have updated the BIOS as well cleared CMOS even taken the battery out.

Thanks to anyone that responds in advance.

Regards,
    misae

2. TiredGeek

TiredGeek New Member

I did post this before, musta got lost in a database crash :duh:

The only thing I can think of is a variation on what you have already tried:
    Unplug the system from the mains, pull the mboard battery, and then hit the power button on the case front (try to start the system). That will discharge any caps on the board that were holding power and put your board back into a "virgin" state.

It's a long shot but I've had to do exactly that twice on my KA7 to get it to see new CPUs.

Good luck M8

3. misae

misae New Member

its cool i managed to fix the problem..

faulty motherboard... :)