Creative 5500 external decoder & AAC/DTS/AC3

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by pasch, Dec 12, 2003.

1. pasch

pasch New Member

Hi everybody. My Creative 5500 external decoder (connected in OPTICAL MODE with AC97 or with a terratec aureon 5.1 fun) play AC3 signals from a dvd or divx, using s/p-dif in options.

The problem is that all the other signals in 5.1 channels, like DTS, AAC, or sounds in games, are not supported by the external decoder. The external decoder is only able to decode an AC3 signal!

Is there a solution to convert the 5.1 general signals in compatible AC3 format on-the-fly?

If i decode AAC/DTS via audio card the signals are suddivided in 6 channels, but it works only in analogic mode, and it doesn't work with my creative inspire 5.1. With my creative inspire system there is no way to accept three analogic signals (in three wires) it' s possible only if I connect the three cards outs diectly into the three lines ins of the subwoofer, but the suond is very bad without decoder... there is an anoying "pssscchh" and i can't adjust the volume and other regulation!

I hope you understand me! Thanks all

2. Dogbreath

Dogbreath New Member

Dooode

I have the same problem, my solution so far is to install the latest kx project drivers i get ok ish 5.1 surround sound. The rears dont seem to phase left or right but do give a rear signal in games etc...it is an improvement over the creative labs drivers. I hope if and when eax is supported by kx that we could get better sound in games too, just goes to show how good these kx types are doing all this for the community!

The next best solution is to change hardware, the 5500's are ok at 5.1 surround sound but just ok, a friend has just got the inspire T7700's (£89.99 from dabs), a 7.1 solution and they have a much bigger omph (better sound-staging!)..another has bought the external creative labs decoder and bought a klipsch solution from europe (im in UK) and that works well. Both solutions require that you use the analogue outs from you audigy 2 to plug into a amp type unit for remote contol and volume handling, also these amps clear up the phizzy sound you get if you plug the analogues from the audigy 2 into the 5500's sub.

So, in short

1. Wait for kx eax support
    2. Buy a new speaker system
    3. Plague creative labs support like i am for better drivers for audigy 2

3. pzmt

pzmt New Member

Maybe yes, NVidia MPC-T

4. Dogbreath

Dogbreath New Member

Look at the date time on that last past...he's a timelord