Creative Audigy 2 AD_EXT pin assignment

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by vassil_bk, Jul 22, 2004.

1. plugger

plugger New Member

Thanks looks like i need to start saving for another adat card:(
    :dead:

2. adrianmak

adrianmak New Member

I have a SB Live Drive II Bay. Can it be connect to SB Audigy 2 ZS ??

3. P.J

P.J New Member

MIDI port !

I've a Creative X-fi Xtreme Music and it doesn't have 15-Pin MIDI port !
    How can i connect AD_EXT to the 15-Pin MIDI port ? :sigh:

PLEASE HELP ME SOON

THANKS !

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

does your x-fi have a midi/gameport bracket header on the card? if so it might be possible to connected a motherboard midi/gameport bracket (available from computer stores).

midi actually only requires 6 pins, three for in, three for out - so you can at a pinch create your own cables too, using the pinout found here - the pinouts for midi plugs are available on the net - i don't have the links offhand sorry, but it's quite possible to create your own custom cables

5. P.J

P.J New Member

No, just AD_EXT :(

Now which pins ?

I've a 15-Pin MIDI connector and the AD_EXT !

PLEASE HELP ME !!!

6. jiiteepee

jiiteepee Active Member

[​IMG]

I suppose you could use the pins 37 and 39 instead of 25 and 27 but,

Pinouts are listed here http://pinouts.ru/Multimedia/sb_audigy2_ad_ext_pinout.shtml

So, what this means; you need either buy a
    - USB MIDI Interface (starting from ~$35)
    - another soundcard w/ MIDI controller onboard (you can get one starting from ~$7) NOTE: you can disable the audio device and use MIDI features only

jiitee

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  7. livan74

livan74 New Member

Hi to all.
    I have a audigy 2 zs audio card, following instructions taken from samir and lover I built a cable to connect external audio drive bay from audigy 1 card to my audigy 2 zs.
    The first time I booted the computer I see in the mixer that were other inputs like aux 2 and mic 2, next I tried to open a midi program and I discovered that the second midi port is present too!
    So the problem is only one but BIG!
    I don't ear anything! No sound is coming out from my audio card.
    If I go to mixer I see that it was configured for hearphones but even if I change it no sound is coming out.
    The strange thing is that if I mute the master and then unmute it a sound is coming out for a second and then mute again...
    Some clues?
    Thank you

8. PIRATA!

PIRATA! New Member

Hi to everyone!!

I have a couple of wuestions about Audigy2-ZS cabling to Fron Panels:

1) Searching some information of how connect my case front panel to my Audigy2-ZS, I found alot of informations about pinouts and stept into this website: The X-Tap -- Sound Blaster Audigy/X-Fi Harness 2.0
    This cable is cool, but its too expencive.
    So I tried to take a look to its manual and realized that he uses pin3 as MIC_BIAS and pin6 as MIN_IN..... while I have seen MIC_BIAS marked with pin6 or pin8.

In my front panel I have MIC_IN and MIC_POWER.
    To which pin do I have to connect my two MIC_* plugs??

2) Is there a way to mute the Audigy back plugs when inserting headphones and/or mic in the front panel???

Thank you! :)

9. networkn

networkn New Member

Hi There!

I was thinking of upgrading from my Platinum ZS to the X-FI XtremeGamer, but was hoping to avoid the expense of the Platinum model, are the pinouts and connectors the same for both cards? Can I just plug it in, and it will work, or do I need another cable or something special to be done?

10. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the pinouts appear to be the same

11. kikkoman

kikkoman New Member

Nice to see that this thread is still alive, I stumbled across it about two years ago....

Well, here's my problem:
    I have an Audigy2ZS and a Live!Drive II.
    The cable is fine so far, but as expected the Mic/Aux2/LineIn2 doesn't work, it only produces hiss and noise.
    Now, the Live!DriveII's board layout is different than the IR version's.
    Has anyone here ever successfully modded the ADC part of a LD II?

12. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

i think, due to the clock rate differences, there's no real way to get the analogue inputs working, without physically replacing the converters

13. kikkoman

kikkoman New Member

I know... that's why I'm asking.
    Like I said, the LDII has a slightly different PCB layout than the IR version, but the circuitry should be the same (apart from the IR part).
    So, is there anyone who can provide a schematic of the changes made to the ADC part (just a rough overview, I can figure out the details myself)?
    would be great....

14. Raven737

Raven737 New Member

Audigy 2 zs SPDIF In?

Hi,

ok so i modded my Audigy 2 ZS with the pin 25 & 35 trick, after i did that i was able to select dd & dts decoding in the device control -> digital input settings (btw using the modded audigy 4 drivers)

however when i use pin 5 and 6 as target for the spdif output of another computer with a realtek dts live, i just don't hear anything...

doesn't matter if i change the output type to 2 channel pcm etc.. just nothing.... i checked an made sure that the pin 5 & 6 is connected and that the volume slider for spdif-in in the mixer is all the way up and that it's not muted...

does anybody have any ideas on this one?

TIA!

15. kvuong

kvuong New Member

let me get this straight: I have audigy 1 (SB0160), I can have a total of 4 seperate analog line output if I use the "headphone output" rite??

16. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the SB0160 has 6 analog outputs - it's a 5.1 card

17. kvuong

kvuong New Member

So if i use an I/O external Drive thing to gain that headphone out, would I gain a seperate 4th stereo line out to have total of 8 analog output?

EDIT: If I get Audigy 2 ZS, the 4 analog stereo out port would work fine with KX 3539 right??

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  18. BadBoy_GT

BadBoy_GT New Member

hello all!

i've been reading this thread for the last couple of days now, and i'd like to thank everyone for their hard work and research!!!

that said, i also have an Audigy 2 ZS that i'm having problems with (go figure :rolleyes:). what i'm trying to do is hook up my cable box (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) to my Audigy 2 via spdif (coax) to decode 5.1 audio on HD channels. i got the card off eBay, and downloaded the original installation CD, then all current updates. i thought about using the KX drivers, but i'm pretty big on gaming and from what i understand they don't play well together...

following what i read, i jumped pins 25 & 35 and hooked up the coax wires to pins 5 & 6. got nothing. i checked all options (dolby decode is not greyed and is enabled) and couldn't get a peep. so i tried option 2- hooking it up via spdif_cd. when i hooked up both wires (signal & ground), i got nothing. i played with it for a while, and found out that when i hook up just the signal wire, i got sound (really good sound!) for about a minute, then it quit. i waited for a few mins, unhooked the cable, and pluged it back in. got sound for another min, then died again. i let it sit for a while, and the sound eventually came back, then went away again?! so i went back to analog stereo (more on that in a minute).

after a little more reading, it seems i need to convert the coax to TTL, is this correct? i found a simple circuit found here: Andrew's S/PDIF Stuff will this solve my problem?

i'm not opposed to building this, i guess i'm getting lazy ;) . would this do the same thing: Toslink Optical to Coax/Coaxial Digital Audio Converter - (eBay item 270185190580 end time Nov-15-07 16:00:00 PST)

also, if i ran just optical into the spdif_in would i still need a TTL converter? from what i think i understand i don't, but i want to be sure...

OK- back to the stereo analog. don't know if it's related or just an annoyance, but here it is- when i hooked up the stereo RCA inputs via the line_in on the back of the card, i got sound with a really bad hum. same for the rear mic_in, and internal aux_in. when i hooked it up via the internal cd_audio its crystal clear?!?! this is where it currently resides.

that's about it- sorry for the long post! i hope someone can answer my questions. thanks in advance!!!

BadBoy_GT :cool:

19. BadBoy_GT

BadBoy_GT New Member

anybody?!?!?!

BadBoy_GT :cool:

20. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

yeah you do need TTL level for the AD_EXT header, but connect the cable to the CD_SPDIF input on the card, as that supports standard spdif level aswell as TTL