Creative Audigy 2 AD_EXT pin assignment

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by vassil_bk, Jul 22, 2004.

1. NeoLojik

NeoLojik New Member

I stumbled upon this thread today and wow, what a wealth of information.

I have 2 PC's, each with an Audigy 2 ZS in each and recently had the idea of linking them together using SPDIF. Originally I had planned to use a TOSLINK cable but realised that I'd need the Audigy drive to do so. When I found this thread I suddenly wondered if the following was possible...

Code:
    PC1                                                                         PC2
     -> Audigy 2 ZS                                                 Audigy 2 ZS <-
               -> AD_EXT #7 (Gnd)        <-->       (Gnd) AD_EXT #3 <-
               -> AD_EXT #9 (SPDIF0-Out) <--> (SPDIF0-In) AD_EXT #5 <-
    Effectively it would be a pure digital signal from one PC into another, then only 1 PC needs to be plugged into my speakers.

I know about bridging pins #25 and #35 on the AD_EXT connector to enable AC3 over SPDIF, though I'm unsure if I'd need it as I only use 2.1 speakers (a single 3.5mm jack), so stereo over SPDIF would be fine.

Thanks for reading =)

2. NeoLojik

NeoLojik New Member

Figured I'd experiment and answer my own question ^^

I took the SPDIF0_Out and Ground from the card in PC1 and wired them into the CD_SPDIF in socket on the card in PC2. Instantly I had perfect sound coming from one PC to the other and the Creative Audio Console picked up a 24Bit Stereo 48,000 or 96,000 signal depending on the settings on the other PC.

I plan to make a permanent cable tomorrow and to try putting the signal into the AD_EXT header too.

Many thanks to all who have contributed here, this thread is an invaluable source of information for the expansion header.

3. rolandrocke

rolandrocke New Member

Congrats to 'kx' project on mighty acheivement of defining audigy 2 pin assignments - I am a recorder of midi instrument outputs and I'm hoping to benefit by using the info from your research to put my midi keyboard output into the pin configuration on the soundcard, rather than into usb via an external adapter - because,of course, the Audigy 2 doesn't have a proper midi input. Anyway, see wot happens. Thanks guys - blessings on you and your future efforts.

4. sassooodi

sassooodi New Member

guys..I have this spdif connector..how can I connect it to to my Audigy 2 soundcard to get the optical(toslink) working..

plz hlp me..

Attached Files:

5. Jasy

Jasy New Member

Does anybody have this file? "AUD_EXTtoAD_EXT.txt"

6. marioz

marioz New Member

Hello everyone!
    I got an interesting “project” and I hope someone can help me with this.
    I have Audigy 2 soundcard on my pc and I want to connect the external module of the Audigy 2 platinum EX.
    The difference between the two cards is that the platinum has ad_link1 and ad_link2, and has no sb1394 port while the standard card has only sb1394 (ad_link2 is the same port as sb1394).
    However I have the cable to connect ad_link1 and 2 ports from the external module to the sound card but there are no ports on this version of the card.
    Is there a way to use the ad_ext pins from the internal part of the soundcard to connect them as ad_link1 and how should I do it?
    As for ad_link2, can I connect it to the sb1394 on the front or should I use any pins from the internal part of the soundcard?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  7. georgejoy

georgejoy New Member

Dear All,

Great thanks to Mr NeoLojik because by his help i was able to overcome the problem of decoding AC3 signal of a foreign device via SPDIF_IN of AD_EXT of my Audigy 2ZS ordinary card without hassle of purchasing a daughter card or other expensive methods.
    It was simple because total cost was 35INR and little soldering work of a RCA pin to SIF socket
    which can be easily inserted to those leads jutting out.
    Connections are simple Just connect
    AD_EXT #3 => Gnd
    AD_EXT #5 => SPDIF0-In
    AD_EXT #25 => GP Output 0
    AD_EXT #35 => GP Input 0
    Connecting Pin 25 to pin 35 made the card think that it is connected to a daughter card. This is required for selecting the option "Dolby Digital/DTS SPDIF_IN Decode" the drop down menu of "SPDIF I/O in Audio Console
    Pin 5 and Pin 3 can be respectively soldered to RCA Jack
    That is it. RCA Jack was connected to the optical out of the device and the decoded sound came via my PC's 5.1 Speaker system
    If you have confusion about the pins here is the please search for "AD_EXT" in Google Image and there is a good one in shspvr and i'm banned to paste image here because this is my first post