Creative gobbles up competition

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by zerodamage, Dec 5, 2003.

1. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

" . . . Creative has purchased Sensaura for $6.4 million. Sensaura licenses 3D audio technology to Guillemot/Hercules, VideoLogic, M-Audio, Audiotrak, Voyetra Turtle Beach, Terratec, ESS, Cirrus Crystal Logic, Analog Devices, C-Media, NVIDIA, Realtek, Yamaha, and VIA Technologies, which together pretty much represent the segment of the PC audio market that Creative doesn't already control. Sensaura provides the 3D audio engine embedded in nearly all of these manufacturers' device drivers, supplying capabilities for DirectSound3D and EAX. Some chips can do DSP-style acceleration for Sensaura's routines, while others do not, but the technology is licensed from Sensaura, regardless.

Compared with the $28 million Creative paid to kill off Aureal over three years ago, Sensaura went for a song. This is a much bigger deal than Aureal, too. With Sensaura's assets, Creative now controls the 3D audio technology for pretty much"

Source: Tech-report

2. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

HAHAHAHAHA SWEEEEEET i love creative

3. XSwiftX

XSwiftX New Member

Lack of competition is not a good thing. Creative already had a stranglehold on the pc soundcard market, this deal ensures they have an almost complete monopoly. Hopefully other companies will step up and take on Creative.

4. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

this is disgusting! :mad:

5. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

The silent one strikes

Creative strikes with a big one. Does this mean we'll be seeing the Creative logo on future ASUS Mobos?!

6. spark rain fire

spark rain fire i am rad.

boycott creative!

7. BONEHEAD

BONEHEAD New Member

Well so much for other comp. The only few left are Studio grade sound cards and phillips (not shown in list so must not be realated). But why would a company sell so cheap? Must owe alot of money.

8. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

Ugh.

9. Matt

Matt Techy Bloke Wasting Time

Haha

Partys tonight for Creative. M-audio were looking good. I don't see any other companys stepping up to this one.

10. Markius

Markius New Member

Monopoly=Bad

anyway you look at it

11. -={420}=-

-={420}=- New Member

I have a C-Media CMI8738/C3DX 5.1 Digital Audio built into my mobo and I must say that I'm very happy with it. Along with my Logitech Z-560 speakers, the sound is astounding. The best Creative card I had was a SB16 so I can't really compare sound quality. This lack of competition is bad because now Creative won't work as hard and will keep its cards at high prices :(

12. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Bummer,

A gaming friend of mine who stays in somwhat close contact with a couple game developers told me (since he heard me researching cards with the Envy24 chip) that there are popular games out there that will just crash if they don't sense some method of doing EAX (evidently the code in some games is not perfected for doing otherwise - wow, what a revelation, they have bugs! :rofl: ).

Since Sensaura is the way the card makers who develop Envy24 chip based cards do EAX, it could have quite an impact on performance, sound quality, and overall gaming capability of those cards. Those cards are generally marketed to those who appreciate high quality audio - but they (I) want to play games well too!

13. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

However there is a big problem with this...

Imagine your a well known company making sound cards that use's this technology. Now you want support for it. Okay say Creative does to these companies like it did with the support for Aureal cards. Can we say law suit? Of course someone could always provide underground support for this technology; hopefully these "other" companies will put their collective heads together & do something about this. Frankly this makes my flesh crawl. Of course Creative could also use this to their advantage to "control" the rest of the market as well. In the worst case scenario Creative is the only choice..well sorry I'll just use a "professional" card & not have EAX. I'm tired of meager hardware improvements with optimizations that can be "turned on" in older cards not being available.

14. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Hope you enjoy paying $200.00 for your next sound card if not more. Waiting a year from product release for working drivers, and better yet when something "new" comes out which it's not much different. Don't forget the dwindling support for older hardware.

15. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

ive used other cards in the past, always love creative cards. yea too much junk in the drivers and software but slightly getting better. jus the cards give quality sound and if you do want all the external crap u do have to pay a bit. i dont mind paying that much, video cards are 500 bucks for just plain games where sound affects many things. and im reallly really picky on sound. creative drivers may not be the best to some im fine with them and fairly often updates

16. -={420}=-

-={420}=- New Member

My built in C-Media gives me the best sound ever. I would never buy a stupid Audigy/A2 and have to worry about all the driver issues.

17. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

used that old avance crap, used onboard 5.1 sound on another intel board, its like listening to music from cassettes.

18. -={420}=-

-={420}=- New Member

I agree that some onboard sound sucks but mine certainly doesn't.

19. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

....oh shit... if i may say so.... that's the last thing on earth i wanted to read.... let alone know.... well...sorta.... IT'S JUST WRONG.... wrong i say..... here's comes the mass creative responcible crashes....

20. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

That's sad :( I hate monopoly. Anyway, their drivers and their soundcards aren't anything special, but now the competition in gaming is nonexistant.