Creative's Bass Redirection. . .

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Smiro, May 30, 2003.

1. Smiro

Smiro New Member

Hello and congrats for the forum and specially for the audio guides! :)
    This is my first thread here! Anyway i'll just get straight to the point.

Anyone knows what are the latest official Creative's drivers for SBLive Audigy & Audigy2, that provide support for 2.1 and 4.1 speakers? Many ppl have 2 or 4 speakers and a subwoofer and it's not possible to enable the Bass Redirection option.

Also if someone knows a way to enable bass redirection when using drivers that don't support 2.1 or 4.1 speakers it would reallly help!

Thanks for your time in case you have no clue!

Smiro . . .

2. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

As far as I can tell, the Bass Redirection is reserved for 5.1 streams.

Perhaps if you could find some cross-over settings...?

3. Smiro

Smiro New Member

Could you explain that a bit more?

4. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Well, listen, I'm not expert on audio, but if whatever drivers you are using lets you tweak cross-over settings, I think you'd be able to send all the bass to the woofer, which is what bass redirection does.

5. Smiro

Smiro New Member

Oh, now i understud (not prooud of my english).

Well that could be done through a proggie, but what i need is a "one tick Bass Redirection enable", like the Creative's mixer has, for beginners and people that don't have the will to test or play with crossover setings. . . Isn't it easier that way?

I think/hope that the driver that support 4.1 and 2.1 can enable bass redirection at these speaker setups.

Thanks a lot though :)

6. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

I believe Creative has disabled it intensionally because as far as I know bass redirection should be automatical on 2.1 and 4.1 speaker setups.

7. Smiro

Smiro New Member

Hey RIV@NVX :)

So when 2.1 or 4.1 speaker setup is selected, bass redirection is enabled as default??? That's great news!

But what about the drivers that have 2 & 4 speakers and not 2.1 & 4.1 speaker settings? Can Bass Redirection be enabled through a registry key or something??

Oh, which drivers' version supports 2.1 & 4.1?

Sorry for making so many questions, but i think that only at DH i can get answers for these . . .

8. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Well, drivers support 2 and 4 speakers.
    Speakers automatically (in hardware) redirect the bass to the subwoofer in case you have 2.1 or 4.1 (as far as I know).

9. Smiro

Smiro New Member

I don't think that this happens cause when i switch from 5.1 with bass redirection enabled to 4 speakers, i hear the bass coming out from the "satelittes" (speakers).
    Besides, 2.1 speakers and 4.1 speakers, are connected through the same way at the soundcard (1 jack). . .

What i wanted to say, cause it got a bit confusing, is that there are versions of creative's drivers that at the speakers settings, instead of
    2 / 4 / 5.1 speakers
    is written
    2.1 /4.1 /5.1.

So at these drivers, it is possible to enable bass redirection when choosing 2.1 or 4.1 settings right?

So i don't know
    1. what is the version of the drivers that have the 2.1 and 4.1 settings
    2. Is there anyway to enable bass redirection at the drivers that don't have the 2.1 and 4.1 options, but instead they have the 2 & 4 speaker settings???

Hope i made it cleare. . . Again, sorry for my English:sigh:

10. FluffyChicken

FluffyChicken New Member

Is you Bass speaker seperate to the Main speakers ?

Or does all the sound go through the base speaker (eg cable is between computer and bass speaker, which then sends sound to the main speakers) If so the option will not do anything as the amp in the bass speaker should do the splitting for you.

but if the bass speaker comes direct and seperate to the main spekers that's the only point it woul work.

11. FluffyChicken

FluffyChicken New Member

but version 1.0056 of the speaker control panel has the 2/2.2 and 4/4.1 options but the base redirect is only available on the 5.1 setting as this is the only setup that really emplys the base speaker. the x.1 is the centre speaker normally

12. Smiro

Smiro New Member

The woofer and the speakers are connected with one cable in my setup. Bass redirection works nice though. I'm not asking this just for me, also other guys could be informed through me.

I don't think that speaker control panel's version makes the difference, since i kept the surround mixer i have for my SBLive, uninstalled the old drivers and installed the latest .383 and i get 2/2.1 and 4/4.1 settings.

13. FluffyChicken

FluffyChicken New Member

But if the speakers are connected by one cable, cable from PC to Sub, Sub then connects to left and right speaker (that's the normal way) then bass redirection would do nothing, if not maybe make it worse. The Sub should have a crossover in it that make all the bass from Left&Right goto the Sub and the rest L&R speaker as normal. ALL that goes down the cable form the PC is Left and Right signals.

14. Smiro

Smiro New Member

You are right on that. Allthough i have a strange setup. . .

I have the 2.1 speakers connected at the cards main output, my tv connected as the center speaker, and my hi fi's speakers as rear. ;)

So i have 5.1 at movies, and 4.1 at games. That's why i enable bass redirection, cause i don't want to stress that tv's speakers nor the hi fi's speakers with big ammounts of bass. . .