Critical Process Died: Resolved in 30 Seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

My son informed me the other night that his PC completely crashed and would not reboot at all due to a Critical Process Died error message.

He brought it out into our little "work area" for me to take a look at it. With it on its side and the side cover off, I checked to see if the CPU cooling fan was working. It spun completely freely..no resistance whatsoever.

But, as I had touched the fan I noticed one of the lock-down pins securing the fan to his Intel processor "wiggled". Checking those pins, three of them were loose. This PC has run well for about two years now without any serious issue.

Once I secured those pins, the PC came right up like nothing had ever happened to it.

MY question: Is this actually an issue with Intel lock-down pins working their way loose? I've never encountered it before now. And, yes, I do know that they were totally secured when the PC was put together....I built it myself.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Intel stock coolers are terribad. It's always best to go for an aftermarket solution, I've heard of this happening yes, and encountered a few PCs with the same problem when I used to work as a technician at Futureshop. So yes it happens with those Intel stock coolers.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. Dyre Straits

I suppose the only reason I never encountered it was due to me using CoolerMaster coolers on my build systems. :)

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

It's not necessarily the push pins that's the problem. It's what happens when people push down on them: the motherboard flexes. Most people mount the board to the case first, insert the CPU, then the cooler to the board. If you do it this way the board flexes when you push down the black lock pin, and the flex in the board can cause the white part of the pins to not sit all the way through the hole. People also don't double check to make sure the white pin is in the hole all the way before pushing down the black pin. In both cases you will still hear the click, because the black pin is locked. But, eventually, the white pin will creep out.

This is the reason why I always put the CPU and cooler on BEFORE I put it into the case. If the case has a cutout for the back of the board (there are still cases that don't) I usually hold my hand in the center of the CPU socket on the back to keep it from flexing (I usually only do this with 3rd party coolers that use the push pins though).

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

if the push pins are properly pushed with sufficient force to lock into place... i've personally never seen an intel cooler break loose.. in fact they are quite stiff to disengage actually.

And like tipstaff said... mounting heatsink to mainboard BEFORE dropping into a case is critical to know if it's in place.

6. Dyre Straits

And, yes, I've always mounted things to the mobo prior to putting them in the case. I learned that early on.

7. Dyre Straits

This is an update on my son's system. It was the Power Supply. He actually took it into Micro Center to let them check it out since everything was still under warranty.

Even so, when we got it back home, it STILL put out the 5 beeps and wouldn't boot. He took a very close look at where cables were routed and noticed that one power cable was actually touching one of the sticks of RAM. After moving that cable, everything booted right up!

Calliers, Tipstaff and Mr Cairo like this.
  8. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Yup, that's why I love modular PSUs!

Glad you got it sorted though. :)