Crossfire and Lcd Monitor

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by ChOnG, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ChOnG

ChOnG New Member

Hello,

My setup:

X1900XT-X 512MB
    X1900 Crossfire Edition
    ViewSonic VX922 19" Lcd Monitor.

My Problem:

Alot of pink/green pixels coming and going from my moniter,i have a feeling that it is caused by the dongle with a crossfire setup but i never had this with a Crt monitor.
    I have made a short clip of what it looks like,Im just lookin for advise on if it is the dongle or is this a problem with my monitor. Thanks for any help :p

Avi Link:

CLICKHERE

2. Spyre

Spyre New Member

Hmmm pretty odd, does it do it with it plugged in the same card but with crossfire disabled?

Does it do it with crossfire enabled but with VGA to DVI adapter used instead of DVI - DVI ?

3. ChOnG

ChOnG New Member

Ill give that a go but i was so positive that its the dongle. All i wanted to check is if any other people have had this before and was it monitor issue or crossfire issue.

Its weird tho, it just comes and goes. Sometimes i dont see it for a few days and then just appears on and off for about 20 minutes and goes away again lol :/

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Yes i'd try checking to see if one card by itself (just unplug it from the dongle and plug directly into the DVI port of either card)... to see if it reproduces on either card.

I'd also try completely unplugging the dongle.. and then replugging everything back in.

Behold the stupidity of Crossfire mode....

5. ChOnG

ChOnG New Member

Well to be totally honest. I dont wanna remove the dongle as the screws that hold it in place are not very good lol. already broke 1. Must be weak metal or summit coz that one seemed to snap far too easily. Still the other 3 are fine but dont wanna risk breaking another :p

How does SLi connect there cards together? just,ive heard so much bad stuff about the ati dongle and wondered how sli do it.

6. Spyre

Spyre New Member

SLI uses a small internal connection between the cards. If you broke one of the screws your cable may not be making good contact hence the issue.

7. Rasta Monsta

Rasta Monsta Just an Average Joe...

Yep looks like it could be a loose connection, I have heard peeps complain about poor quality Xfire cables before.

rasta

8. ChOnG

ChOnG New Member

Hmm. i always thought the screws in these type of plugs where just to hold it in incase of cables getting pulled by accident. Surley if the pins are all touching you should be getting a strong enough connection. Im probably wrong tho looking at the ammount of dongle complaints :p.

9. ekanisu

ekanisu New Member

I also had green/pink pixels.

This seems to be common when using DVI cables that are to long or bad quality cables.
    I had a 5 meter cable with my ATI X800XTPE and that worked OK for most of the time (I could see the green/pink pixels someimes when using a higher resolution but when I got my X1900XT crossfire setup I got the problem even in 1024x768 so I got a GEFEN "DVI super booster" which amplifies the DVI signals so you can use very long cables, unfortunately it's pretty expensive (250USD I think).
    So to make a long story short, It looks like the DVI signal is not good enough and it's not impossible that with a new dongle or cable that it might work but because I needed such a long cable I thought it was warranted to pay 250USD to get it to work.