Crossfire: As i see it (Debateable)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Judas, Jun 1, 2006.

1. MiDri

MiDri New Member

I mean in crossfire, if you ran them in crossfire would you still need dongle? I would guess yes (probably would not work at all with no master card), but just checking.

2. hackerx

hackerx Banned

u can't run them in crossfire(with or without dongle)cause the 2 cores aren't the same.And cause the x18800 xl is not a master board.
    U can run 2 x1600 xt's in crossfire cause they have same core.

3. ChOnG

ChOnG New Member

Hmm Digital Flat Panels = LCD monitor? coz ive just ordered one. :D Hopefully this solves me prob

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

CRTs don't show up correctly while in crossfire.. lots of features and whatnot screw up there..

The whole point in getting a highend rig is to use all the highend stuff....

vivo isn't a huge concern.. .but i find it quite difficult as to why it was completely ignored in a crossfire situation which in turn leads me to beleive once again they "rushed" the crossfire setup out the door just to get it out there... even though this is easily 2nd if not 3-4 generation crossfire.

Once again, the external dongle should never have left the engineering lab....

Also, i'd like to see more multi monitor capabilities.... seriously, 3 monitors... all identical (or not).... in tri monitor gaming is utterly amazing.... i really wish someone would jump on this... atm, only solution is tripleheadtogo by matrox using VGA connectors... and only available on anything BUT ATI cards due to the limitations of the ATI's cards per port output and crossfires own limitation of 3200x2400 on the x1xxx series and 1600x1200 on the previous.

5. SirPauly

SirPauly New Member

I'd like to see the monitor aspects be more flexible, too. I'm not going to hold my breath for it because I doubt I'll ever see it this generation. Hope I'm wrong. Dongle doesn't bother me at all. Don't care if it has a dongle or not -- as long as I receive performance and nice image quality with performance - which is by-far the biggest thing to me.

6. Judas

although i agree, the dongle remains out of sight mostly.. .but it's still a factor as it's causing graphical annomolies for alot of people... even on a good DVI connected monitor, i'm receving some very strange interference like problems.. and that doesn't go into detail over the wobblies.

CTR? yeah, some weird stuff happens with the scanline...

7. ChOnG

ChOnG New Member

Just bought a Viewsonic VX922 lcd screen and that option i was talkin about that disappeared has re-appeared in my options :p i can now adjust all my hue/saturation again. One thing tho, i heard alot about the dongle problems with crossfire and ive never noticed any with my crt,But.. im noticing with this lcd i get weird artifacts on screen but when i give a shake of the dongle on gfx cards it goes away. weird :/

8. Judas

artifacts... could you explain what kind..

all i ever got outa the lcd problems with a DVI connection was wobbling... nothing more.... never connected a lcd via a VGA connector...

9. ChOnG

ChOnG New Member

i was getting loads of pink pixels all over my screen. I just moved the dongle a touch and it has totally disappeared. All is fine now and im so glad my moniter properties option has reappeared now with an lcd. can finallly add a little more color to me games :p

10. Skinner

Skinner New Member

See my posting on b3d:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31010

Some games have improved CF performance since cat. 6.5, like Oblivion (chuckpatch, Tomraider Legend) but there are many issues left.

-Scanlines on my crt screen :mad:
    missing options..
    -Screencurroption in Condemned after autosaving :sigh: ;
    -Hitman BM not running in CF mode:confused:
    -GTA SA flickering or chequerboards:(
    -Bad performance in FEAR:confused:

-overdrive only accessing the mastercard

The good, unparralled perfmance and IQ when operating properly.
    I won't give it up quickly as it has a lot of potential.

11. Judas

i just think it sucks that crossfire causes problems with HDR + FSAA in a pile of games..... if HDR is enabled.. FSAA is forced off.... why?

12. ChOnG

ChOnG New Member

Skinner. i had alot of those problems. scanlines,missing options etc. buying a lcd has eliminated all of them lol now that is weird :p

13. Skinner

Skinner New Member

I've heard this, but no way I'm gonna put my Sony F520 Crt away, it's IQ is way too beautifull ;)
    I'm gonna try some other soloutions ie change the pixel clock from the RAMDAC
    And I have read a possible solution for Condemend too.

14. SirPauly

SirPauly New Member

I played FarCry HDR+AA, Serious Sam2 HDR+AA, Oblivion HDR+AA with CrossFire. The only HDR that matters is Oblivion -- well done! -- Far Cry and Serious Sam2 I use x10 AA -- don't care for the HDR in those titles.

15. Judas

And HDR + FSAA work in serious sam (as thats the only game that i have that you have as well).. within crossfire mode?

The moment i turn HDR on when FSAA is already applied (2-4-through to-14x) which will be working, HDR turned on instantly disables all FSAA being applied.

16. SirPauly

SirPauly New Member

I believe HDR+AA only works with x2 and x4 AA right now. You must use the in-game AA (low, medium, high). Setting it to medium or high will give you x4 HDR AA. Make sure you set CCC to application.

Here are some benches with SS2 using the Branchester Demo:

1600 x 1200 - x16 HQ filtering:

HDR: 104.5 CrossFire
    HDR: 64.9 Single X1900XT

HDR X2AA: 87.4 CrossFire
    HDR x2AA: 48.7 Single X1900XT

HDR x4AA: 74.6 CrossFire
    HDR x4AA: 40.5 Single X1900XT

I love x10 AA because it gives me a virtually free hit x2 rotated grid super-sampled:

X8 AA: 71 CrossFire Super-AA
    x10AA: 72.8 CrossFire Super-AA
    x4 AA: 70.6 Single X1900XT

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  17. Judas

Nope doesn't work..

High never works... SS2 will not allow me to set FSAA to high

However, setting CCC to application and then setting FSAA in game still works.. but when i enabled HDR... FSAA will remain at medium and still not work.

ATI has already said they are aware of this issue and to wait for new driver. (again)

18. SirPauly

SirPauly New Member

19. SirPauly

SirPauly New Member

20. Judas

Look here:

Several Shots of Crossfire mode with 14x FSAA forced on via CCC and in Serious Sam 2 and l2.. you can clearly see FSAA is not working, This happens at EVERY lvl of FSAA setting applied in the CCC or set to application and set via the game itself.. or both...

FSAA will NOT work for me at all.

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=106158