Crossfire: As i see it (Debateable)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Judas, Jun 1, 2006.

1. SirPauly

SirPauly New Member

If HDR is enabled in the in-game menu of Serious Sam2 -- x14 Super-AA will not work and no level of AA is applied. For x14 Super-AA to work.......you must make sure HDR is disabled in the in-game menu.

Every single mode of AA works here - except for x6 HDR-AA! Every single time! I don't know what else to tell you.

2. MiDri

MiDri New Member

If you do driver based AA, you should be able to use bother HDR and AA with R5XX/R6XX cards.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

like i've said... those above images are identical if not the same if i were to allow the game to apply low/mid (high doesn't work... just reverts to med the minute i hit apply).... or using 2x/4x/6x/8x/10x/12x/14x in the CCC with or without adaptive AA being turned on With it being performance or quality or, with or without Temporal AA being turned off or on...

It just plainly don't work.... period.

This applies to every single HDR based game i've tried loading up.. SS2/Lineage2.

Hell even ATI's Assassin demo seems to mess up. Frigen bugger crashes and spits out a txt that is very helpful

"Bad thing" ...

rotfl. when i saw that.... i thought that was an excellent error report.

4. SirPauly

SirPauly New Member

5. Judas

not sure about that.... that there images looks like it has a far bit of jaggies...

due to the resolution.. though.... it'll make it a little hardware.. but that image there definitely has some aliasing....

6. SirPauly

SirPauly New Member

7. Judas

mkay looks good...

now if only my crossfire worked...

not to mention several other peoples that don't work either

8. hackerx

hackerx Banned

did u update ur bios to the latest version(i'mtalking about the motherboard)?The ASUS A8R32-MVP had some(or a lot of)bugs in its first bios,maybe thats why crossfire isn't working.
    Get the latest bios and try again.

9. kingsownall

kingsownall New Member

i bet on that he tried it

10. Judas

404 bios...

yes everything is maxed out up to date.

however, atm i have my mastercard in the bottom slot.. cause in the top it just don't work.. crossfire is working... but no all programs are supported in crossfire mode.. and by default.. they'll only run on one card..

that's the problem with crossfire..... it's a pos when it isn't specifically got support for various progs/games.

one thing i'm finding annoying is the occasional Checkeredboard effect that happens if a D3D game closes... and i load up anothing... a reset of the gamma fixes it.. it's like one board is displaying a gamma value different then the other.. (light/dark squares)

11. twistedpain183

twistedpain183 New Member

since i got my x1800 the screen issues in condemmed stopped happening. gta runs better and fear runs alot smoother than it did while i had it crossfired and one more thing about the dongle nvidia had it right by placing it inside the case connected to the sides of the cards. why couldnt ATi develop a similar method with the back that didnt require a large bulky cable that always mafunctioned? :confused:

12. SirPauly

SirPauly New Member

Can only speak for myself, only had a few minor bugs with CrossFire in a handful of titles. Without the Dongle and improved composite chip, Super-AA performance would be pretty much useless in my mind and more in line with Sli-AA.

Also, when taking screenshots of Super-AA, well, there is no way of capturing it because it is being blended by the composite chip, imho. If you think you're taking screenshots of x14 AA ( which is x12 multi-sampling and x2 super-sampling,) well, you're actually taking a screenshot of x6 multi-sampling.

If someone knows how to take Super-AA shots -- it would be appreciated. I would love to show how nice the x2 rotated-grid super-sampled handles specular artifacts. Edit: And to see the quality of the added polygon edge samples.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  13. Judas

easy.... find a method in which you can connect the dvi into another machine that can capture it..

14. Final8y

Final8y New Member

I also have had very little issues with crossfire, and overall im pleased.
    But i haved noticed that too many but not all the ppl that are having problems are useing 3rd plarty drivers & control centers.

I have tried other drivers & control centers and found there to be many problem with them with giveing lower FPS ect.. also driver cleaner will not uninstall these & useing windows remove does not get rid of everything then installing cat & drivers again would not put things right as if i had used the cat & drivers in the first place like the auto fan control not working like it used to with the cats untill i did a manual hunt for left over bits from the 3rd party stuff & deled them & did a DC & cat&dr reinstall.
    One guy on another forum even killed his new 1900xtx because he had set the fan control at a fixed low speed by mistake with a 3rd party app but got lucky and got the card replaced as if the fan was at fault in the first place. ppl should use the standard SW for awhile with new HW before useing 3rd party as its easyer to track down faults.

15. Judas

I don't run 3rd party software .....

16. hackerx

hackerx Banned

hey judas,have u tried the omega drivers.Maybe they'll help out with ur crossfire issues.

17. Judas

as far as i understand.... you must use the CCC control panel.. and as i see it, it's majority of the issue...

i haven't used any other driver other then official for at least a year and a half. or 2.

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I will never use a dual card solution.. even if I had plenty of money to spend on it. Just wait six months and but the next fastest single card and saver 600 bucks a year.

19. Judas

yeah... but i wanted to see how it looked/performed/and ran..

20. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah... I have a feeling if I ever spent that much and there were bugs I would be pretty pissed.. even though it is to be expected.

I wonder how those specific problems work in SLI?