Crow smarter than chimps?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 10, 2002.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Oxford scientists have discovered that a crow called Betty is no bird-brain.

Betty astonished scientists by deliberately bending a straight wire into a hook and using it to extract food from a container, the journal Science said on Friday.

The feat, it is said, makes her the first animal other than a human that has shown a clear understanding of cause and effect, and fashioned a tool for a specific task using new materials not encountered in the wild.

Not even chimpanzees, our closest cousins, have this ability.

more information here http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/08/09/crow.betty/index.html

2. Silentst2000

Silentst2000 Can I be cool?

I knew those birds were smart but damn....

3. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

Reminds me of an old story that my parents used to tell me when i was a tiny little kid about a bird that put rocks into a jar of water to get it high enough for it to drink :hmm: :lol:

4. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

wish i was that smart

5. e-Seeker

e-Seeker AKA *e-Seeker*

Yeah, I've read the article in local newspapers... Which, I might add, is not surprising to me...
    There was a time when I was fascinated with birds, especially with 'predators', such as falcons and eagles (...Bald Eagle!)...
    Did you see how crows get ants out of a lump of wood? They make a tiny hole with their beaks in the wood and stick a small branch inside, and when the ants start climbing up they grad them... Kewl 2 see! :)