Cry for help

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Calinerti, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Calinerti

Calinerti New Member

Ok, so I guess its my turn to reach out to the DH community and ask for technical advice. I'm not new to system building, but I've been out of it long enough to get lost in the new hardware configurations

So I'm building a new system. Specs?

CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4
    RAM: 2x1GB Corsair Twin3X2048-1333C9 G
    Mobo: Intel DX38BT
    PSU: Antec 850 Truepower Quattro
    GFX: Powercolour ATi Radeon X1950 512Mb RAM

And the problem?

Well, besides the nightmare of having to slipstream Intel RAID drivers into a bootable XP CD (the mobo doesnt have a FDC so F6 wont help), I have finally managed to get the bugger up and running. But the RAM simply will not run at 1333 with timings of 9-9-9-24 @ 1.7V as per corsair specs. Runs great @ 1066 with 1.54V, 7-7-7-20. The CPU, with the G0 stepping, refuses even a marginal overclock.

I havent built an Intel rig in YEARS and I'm kind of at a loss. The BIOS offers many OC tools, but in an awkward manner. I would like to get the RAM running at 1333Mhz, and if possible give a small OC to the processor, if only to 2.66Ghz.

All drivers up to date, bios up to date. Am I missing something or need I content myself with this? The memory was pretty costly and I would want it to run as advertised.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i never have DDR3 platform, but i'll have to blindly help you here.
    i may stop responding to you cause i don't know what i'm talking about, until i can get to your motherboard and DDR3 platform manuals,
    just so you know.

CPU clock ratio, better known as CPU multiplier, allows the CPU to achieve much higher frequencies than, for example the RAM.
    the Q6600 operates on a 266MHz FSB and with the 9x clock multiplier the processor runs at 2.4 GHz.

CPU Host Frequency, which is better known as the CPU Front Side Bus, is related to the clock multiplier.
    the overall CPU frequency is determined by applying the clock multiplier to the front side bus. the Q6600's FSB is 266 MHz and the CPU uses a 9x clock multiplier,

Like the CPU clock ratio, or the CPU multiplier as we prefer, the “System Memory Multiplier” adjusts the memory frequency.
    Memory multiplier works off the CPU front side bus and allows for a broader range of memory frequencies.
    the 3.0x multiplier running off the standard 266 MHz FSB will work at DDR800 MHz. and 4.0x multiplier will run DDR1066 MHz (here is where your existing setup)

however, the memory multiplier options can be dependent on CPU FSB, i don't know whether or not you can run the system memory at DDR1333 without having to increase (overclock) your CPU FSB.
    you may want to try increasing the FSB from 266 to 333, you should be able to run DDR1333 at this point (333x 4 (4.0x memory multiplier) = DDR1333).

3. Calinerti

Calinerti New Member

Well I managed a slight OC. I changed ther multiplier to 8, and the FSB to 300, which should have resulted in the clock speed as 2.4ghz, but at least the memory would have been running at 1200mhz, instead of 1066. But the intel oc utility shows the processor as running at 2.7ghz. Whats the story there? Am I missing something? 8x300 = 2400, no? The only benchmark I am running now is 3dmark03 (dont ask me why, its one I got used to using), and when I went for a reported 2.4 (9x266) to a reported 2.7(8x300?) I noticed higher benches.

Every program I use tells me something different. Sisandra says one thing, the intel processor identification utility another, and the Passmark software says something else. Its a bit weird. Most of my experience is with AMD systems about 4 or 5 years ago. Things seemed simpler then.

4. Calinerti

Calinerti New Member

Does anyone have experience with either this board or the Marvell bios? I cant find any dividers!

5. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater