Crytek have said developers move away from PC

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Dec 21, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So long and thanks for all the fish. (again)
    Perhaps if they focus on developing on only set pieces of hardware they will manage to achieve the top quality of gaming only hinted at all their previous games.

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Pretty sad really. Crysis was the finest gaming experience yet imo. It's a bit like Bugatti announcing they are only going to make 3-door family hatchbacks from now on as they can sell more units.

4. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Why is it that PC's are always the ones mentioned when piracy appears. I am quite sure you will find just as many if not more XBOX360, PS3/2 and Wii games being pirated

5. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Look for Halo 3 on any torrent search engine, If a 360's so "Pirate Proof" Why are there thousands of torrents with thousands of seeds

6. Sihastru

Sihastru Never been clicked

They think that people that buy consoles are generally speaking "dumb" and don't know how to hack their consoles. But that will change in the future and console games will be just as pirated as PC games.

Just do a google search for you favorite PC/console game, and you'll see that most of the time the "pirate" version of console game is out before the PC one.

If they think piracy is going to be defeated this way, they are just morons.

7. Gokou

Gokou New Member

If there so concerned about PC piracy, all they have to do is go digital distribution only. The problem would be pretty much solved then, either way DD is the way of the future and will probably be the only way to get games/software in the long run.

Besides that's the way I buy all my games, it's simply more convenient for me.

8. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

The other problem is they sit there and blame piracy like its a lost sale, and sometimes it might be, but other times it may gain sales, it can go BOTH ways. So it's just a crock of shennigans to say anything otherwise.

Not to mention what others said. Hell I even soft modded my Wii, to play some old snes games on it hilariousness.

9. mac_angel

mac_angel New Member

Honestly, for me, I think it's very poor customer service that is killing PC sales. Admittedly, developing for a PC is a lot harder with all the different types or hardware and for consoles it's only one hardware configuration per platform. But, as everyone will admit, it will always look better on a PC (if writen right, or course).
    As for poor customer service, I have had issues with games where it has taken me over 30 minutes of searching on websites just to find out who and where I'm suppose to send in an e-mail. Then waiting days and just getting back a $hitty form mail that has nothing to do with my problem at all. It seems like they never actually read the e-mail. Codemasters is the worse for this. EA is pretty bad, and now Ubi is getting up there. I have quite a few Codemasters games and have had problems in the past. I refuse to buy any more. If I'm interested in a game, I'll pirate it and see if it works. I can't remember ever receiving an e-mail back from EA. Ubi, I'm still fighting with over Might and Magic, and it's a very simple problem, they just refuse to read my e-mail to see what my question is.
    THQ, I have to say, hats off to them. Same as others where they like to give form mails and not read the question fully (maybe they are just skimming through it), but when you point out the problem specifically then they do get back to you with help.

Thats my rant, GO PIRACY, and screw you all that want to flame me for it.

PS. I also do want to add that if a game works well and I like it, I do go and buy it. I have a large shelving unit just for games and software, and I have close to 30 games on steam.

10. mmd_danish

mmd_danish New Member

thts y they made cryengine 3.....

11. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

This is hilarious IMO . They should have known about "piracy" issue from the beginning.
    They just want to expand their sales "Greed is a human nature so I can't blame them" instead of selling on only one platform , they sell on three.
    They should admit it , not by silly excuse.
    For me I am not excited yet for the sequel because greed is main reason for it. Beside like I mentioned before , this is a multiplatform and will possibly result in poor port "hopefully not" . So I wouldn't believe the hype they are trying to generate until I see the game actually.

12. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

It's so rare that a game is made that I even care about these days that I don't really give a crap about gaming in general anymore, let alone companies whining about piracy like it's the ONLY reason their games don't sell.

13. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Or it could be that the engine is poorly written and inefficent by todays standards.

The Unreal Engine provides very good graphics that can be attained on a vast majority of cards. The CryEngines require a much stronger PC to achieve the same effect so it limits your potential userbase and sales figures.

14. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

It's a sad situation that we're in, Just a shame we've only realised we're in the same boat :p When i saw Ghostbusters, Darkham Asylum and several other massive games i thought they'd only be on console so i didn't care about them.

I can imagine the official Crytek response to this thread : "WE MOVEZ TO 360 LULZ, DERRRP LIVE LOL DERRRRP"
    Another thing i can't stand about most PC Developers is their stance on piracy "Every pirated copy is a lost sale" That's pure horseshit to be frank. So just because i've torrented a game i'm not sure about means i can't legally go out and buy a copy? Horse shit. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure i'd like Assassin's Creed so i torrented it and played a little bit first; When i decided i liked it i went into town the next day after i got off the train back from college, Stopped off in a local gamestore and bought it.

Does that mean they officially made £0 off me if i torrented the game then bought it?

15. Resistor

Resistor Get it Going..

True that you bought it... What about those that didn't go and buy it?
    You might be talking about thousands of people not buying...:hmm:

16. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

It's amazingly how deep in the ground (I'm being nice here) you guys have your head buried.

The situation is simple: a console game sells ten times what a PC games does (for the same game). Doesn't matter if piracy is to blame or not, a developer would be stupid to stick to a platform where sales are weak.

Every time a publisher or developer says they're concentrating on consoles because of piracy on the PC side, lots of people post messages which basically say "you don't understand anything", "good riddance", etc. Do any of you think that's really going to encourage these developers to stick to the PC as a main platform?

Do you think that making clear that you don't consider piracy a problem does anything other than prove to those worried of it that PC gamers are not to be trusted to buy games? Want to prove that piracy doesn't affect the market? Stop pirating, make everyone you know stop pirating. When piracy drops to insignificant levels, and PC sales stay abysmal, then you can say that it's not the cause. And then it'd be clear that PC isn't worth supporting every without piracy. Until then, be happy that there's piracy to blame, because at least you can do something about it.

YAYitsAndrew likes this.
  17. Trusteft

Do you think that kissing their asses in posts in forums will make them change their mind?

18. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

why are there still games that sell great on pc's then.. wouldn't they get a big hit in sales with piracy also if piracy were really the one to blame?
    I think it's just easier for them to blame piracy for bad sales instead of having to admit they made a shitty game.

19. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I think the fact that Crytek can create one game and convert it easily to other platforms is too lucrative to resist. Double or triple sales for little extra work. The downside is PC gamers will get a limited experience because of it. Crytek are trying to spin it and suggest that the PC version of Crysis 2 will not be held back by the consoles but they have also said that the game will be exactly alike across all platforms.

Just after Crysis was released Crytek responded to questions of wether there would be console versions and they stated that Crysis couldn't be done on xbox or ps3.

20. Trusteft

Crytek has been whinning ever since Crysis was first released and blaming piracy for low sales. The fact that years after release few systems can play with the highest settings this game is not enough for them. They released a good looking game that required a computer from the future to be played, then complained that people didn't buy it and blame piracy.
    Bad losers.

Plus, am I the only one who remembers about a year ago (or more?) when Crytek said they were abandoning PC due to piracy?