Crytek have said developers move away from PC

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

The rest of your statement is credible enough Andrew but i strongly disagree with this bit
    For starters if games were actually worth buying on the PC and weren't just piss poor ports then i for one would fork out to buy them and i'm sure this argument's already been presented in this thread. I've bought many games that i first torrented to try, Assassin's Creed being one since i wasn't sure i'd like it and there was no demo type thing.

Bioshock is another, i torrented it, played a few levels then went out and bought it, I did the same thing with Crysis and Far Cry 2 as well. Prototype's another one that i bought off a friend after i torrented it.

And as for your dog crap argument, The coppers here in the uk are very very very strict about poop on the pavement and enforce anything up to £200, about $300ish(?) fines on the spot depending on your attitude and circumstance (IE. Not having any more bags with you) ;)

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Andrew "I don't speak about anything else but piracy" YAY, there was piracy before there was the monster that later became known as PC gaming. The only thing different now is how much easier it is to get a pirated version very close to the date of release. Even before the interweb it was shit easy to find and get illegal copies of games on all platforms, including PC.
    From at least the mid 80s there were copy protection schemes and high prices for games with ALWAYS the excuse of high piracy....I am talking about 1986 here or earlier. BULLSHIT piracy. Piracy was never a reason only an excuse for high prices.

I am not going to read your post since you bore me to death with your one trick pony attitude of posting.

3. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

I've really got nothing to say as long as you understand that you are the exception when it comes to "piracy as a demo". Even good games suffer incredibly from piracy which is proof that not everyone who pirates is as self controlled as you say you are.

Definitely jealous about your dog poop enforcement. The other day I had a giant pile on the sidewalk in front of the house. It was so big I can actually rule out certain small dogs because there's no way they made that much poop.

4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I agree with all you have to say. The PC exclusive market is pretty much gone. Development costs of modern games mean it's just not viable to spend millions on r&d only for the game to appear on torrent sites for all and sundry.

Even if there was a method of hackproofing games I don't think any development house would go back to PC exclusives when they know they can develop for all platforms and get many many more sales. I am always tight on money but would buy a game and then sell at a later date - recouping half my cash, or a bit more. I used to think that this was more or less the same as pirating - they got a sale from me but someone else would get the game at no benefit to the developers.

Like I said, the days of real revolutionary PC games are over - at least until the next generation of consoles arrives.

5. Trusteft

There are plenty of PC only games released every year. The difference is you don't hear about them or read in AAA sites, bar a few exceptions per year, because they do not have the millions of money towards marketing and because they are not FPS/Third person action games.

I am sick of the "PC gaming is dead" crap. Same crap different clothes for the last 20 years. Apart from very rare occasions PC gaming was not the part of gaming selling the most games or perhaps even having the most gamers.
    Are so many people in such a position to require validation for a self proven prophecy, that will not take place anyway, that do the same talk over and over again?
    PC gaming is not dead now, it is not going to die in 10 years. It wasn't dead when it was supposed to die when PS1 and N64 arrived (I won't even go into the 80s), it didn't die when it was supposed to die with PS2+co, it didn't die when the next big thing was mobile phone gaming..., it isn't going away.
    Why does one part/platform has to die just for selling less pieces...it's a flawed logic that some days seems to exist just to piss me off.

The consoles are not going away, PC/Computer gaming is not going away, mobiles phones are not going away, chess and tabletop gaming is not going away. They can all cooexist.
    Stop asking to see death damn it.

As for Crytek, they kept saying that Crysis 1 was their last PC game, guess what followed it?
    And guess if Crysis 2 will be also released on the PC or not...

FFS people, wake up.

6. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

7. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

I have to say that I agree with you on this. There are games that I'm not sure about either at first so I get a copy, play a few and then decide whether or not to go buy it. Its not like PC games get a lot of demo action (or even 10% ever provide demo discs) so how am i supposed to know if paying 40 bucks give or take is a wise investment or not?

All of the friends that I have in the PC gaming industry use the exact same logic in almost all circumstances. If a company's sales are down they blame piracy when the real issue could be that piracy determined that no one wanted to buy their junk game.

At the end of the day piracy isn't going away and neither is the gaming industry and the more they try to fight eachother the better hackers you get on both sides of the argument. So at the end of the day I think it all boils down to a technology pissing contest that no one is EVER going to win.

8. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

9. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

A little off topic, but this reminded me of something weird: did you know that FarmVille is the #1 most played game of all time? FarmVille has over 70 million users, leaving Wii Sports in the dust at 55m.

10. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Okay, so let's say "AAA PC gaming is dead." That certainly wasn't the case over the years (and it's not there now, just going in that direction). The PC typically led the way, with a lot of exclusives. I don't think it's an issue of piracy, as much as the fact that console hardware is now advanced enough that the extra step to take advantage of new PC hardware isn't as cost effective (or exciting) as it used to be.

You see a lot of PC games from single devs or small houses because it's an open market and easy to get into. But consoles did grow to also have small downloadable games, so there's a little less edge there (but still a significant one). If non-Windows internet devices get off to a good start, I imagine that Flash based games will become even more prevalent as a medium for indy games, and they might end up working on consoles, too.

The PC will likely always have an edge in experimental gaming, but I do think there's a decline, and that it will continue. (And as I said, I don't think piracy is the main reason; it's just a factor that helps make developers look for alternative platforms.)

11. Trusteft

I disagree about AAA PC games being dead or going to be.
    Perhaps AAA PC exclusive FPS/RPG/ACTION/Driving games suffer and will suffer. That doesn't mean that AAA titles belonging to the above genres will stop being made for the PC, just not exclusively. Hell, apart from games that are developed in house, sooner or later there won't be any console exclusives either. That doesn't mean that consoles are dying (as some company man has said a few times, because TVs are going to kill the consoles in gaming capabilities....LOL) either. I don't know about you, but I couldn't care less about exclusivity to platforms, be it a console or a PC. There is no good excuse that a game can't be made in any of them, well, graphics and CPU aside for certain someone, I guess.

I prefer to be able to choose if I am going to buy the game X on any of the platforms, instead of being force fed a specific version.

PC gaming is not dying and is never going to die as long as there are PCs. Any other serious claim is IMO, very silly.

BTW don't forget that I own consoles and PC and play games on all, since I am a gamer, above anything else.

12. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

The reason developers are pulling away from the PC market is simply because they are retarded and basically don't know what gamers want. They need to develop good games by listening to what players want on a reasonable level (not the web-designer selling out level), stop asking for so much money (especially for the bad games), and to stop screwing over their playerbase on a massive level with terrible support, crappy ports, and cynical views of the players they are developing for.

Crysis was a decent game. Nowhere near perfect by any means, so why are they so surprised? And what makes consoles so special? There's piracy everywhere.

My philosophy has always been thus: I love the concept of piracy in the sense that people get to play games without any restrictions. Then, if someone likes the game, they should pay for it at a DECENT price. The whole motive behind piracy (at least to me anyways, not counting the whole not-having-funds business) is people don't want to get fucked out of a freedom they feel they should have. So why not embrace piracy? It would seem to me that not only does this promote good competition by always upping the ante of the quality of games that are released, but also that the player feels empowered by having a responsibility of playing a game without restrictions as long as they decide whether or not to support the developer. People aren't that greedy to never support what they love, right?

I feel Crytek made a terrible move, as in they weren't thinking at all when they announced their decision. But it seems a lot of developers don't know anything about what makes games good anymore. And as a semi-off-topic comment, I know developers don't know shit because there have not been any amazing multiplayer games out lately. Whatever happened to competitive playing styles? What is with this casual, no-skill movement? CoD:MW2, Wolfenstein (2009), Halo? Good grief. All designed with a terrible direction.

It's time to get off your asses developers and to start using this thing called a brain.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  13. Trusteft

What you talked about there sounds awful a lot like the old Shareware concept. They put a large part of the game (some times up to 1/3 of it) freely available for anyone, in place of a demo. Then if you like the game, you pay and either unlock or download the rest of the game.

The thing now is that although great games are still being made, the vast majority is crap (as always), but even for the crap games, you need need lots of money to make them. So, if they let people play such a large part of the game and let them see what piece of shit game you have, they are not going to buy the game.
    Same reason basically why many games do not have a demo.