Current Monitor Starting To Go Bad

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by drwho, Nov 23, 2015.

1. drwho

drwho Active Member

For the last few weeks I've noticed some dead spots starting to develop on my current monitor. BTW, my current monitor is a HP 2709m 27". So I've been looking into replacing this monitor and am finding it difficult to
    to decide what I want. Well anyway, I've kinda narrowed my search down some this weekend and am kinda liking this monitor;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TR0518U?gwSec=1&redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1

Would like some opinions from anybody with a monitor that uses a 21.9 aspect ratio. It's new territory to me and it's been hard to find any review on the above monitor. The one thing I do know is that I don't want to go smaller screen size. I do most of my TV watching on my monitor nowadays and watch a few movies also.

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I find that 2560x1080 is bad for price vs real estate. You might as well go for 2560x1440 as the price is about the same.
    3880x1440 is better as a super-wide resolution but only because of the pixel density with smaller screen sizes, compared with 4k.

3. drwho

drwho Active Member

LOL, well I'm probably back to square one at the moment. I went over to a local BB and checked out the Samsung monitor that I'd linked to in my first post. I did not realize that was so short height wise. Hence the name ultra-wide. I guess. Truth be told the novelty of the curved screen intrigued me. But now I'm not sure the curved screen is something I could get used to. Now, I guess I'll keep on looking. :rolleyes:

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

The ultra wide curved screens just don't have any appeal to me at all. At the moment, I'm quite content to use my current three Viewsonic 24 inch screens in either Extended Desktop or a 3x1 Eyefinity Group.

On the other hand, I've become so accustomed to playing games on my 47 inch LED that, at some point, I may want to use larger screens for my PC, too. With that in mind, my next big purchase will likely be a 4K screen of substantial size...say in the 40 inch range.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Dyre... if you do invest in a big screen anytime soon. i would highly suggest you jump on the Samsung UNxxJU7500 series (xx is the size in inches of the tv ... so a 40" would be UN40JU7500)... the reason being is the 7500 is the most GAME friendly tv on the planet right now... score in the top 5 and in almost every other category too..... where as the other in the top 5 doesn't score so well in other categories.... as a 4k display.

Now as for the 29" curved 2560x1080 display without freesync/adaptivesync.... having seen it.. they are quite nice... but outside of the 4k displays i've currently got..... i've been mostly holding on as long as i can to get a much larger format curved display.... crossing my fingers for display port (even though the reps at samsung think that display port is "VGA".... gaud damn idiots.... i have the transcript of this....)... ends up on HDTVs sometime soon... unless of course freesync can be implemented into the hdmi system.. but why would this be done? Why won't they add display port to these bloody HDTVs.... wtf.

As it stands... i find the U28E590D and U24E590D excellent displays for their capabilities.... both freesync/adaptive sync complient.... both 4k... both don't have adjustable height or tilt if i recall right.... both have nice selection of dual hdmi inputs alongside the display port, and both have fairly reasonable viewing angles.... and color reproduction. Not great on the view angles.. but best i've seen from any tn or lower panel.

6. Dyre Straits

Judas, I know you're going to pull your hair out...if you have any, that is...but, I've just ordered a 49 inch UHD TV from WalMart to be ready for pickup by this coming Friday. I've read several reviews on this unit and it gets some nice comments from people who bought one about a year ago and through the year up to recently. At present, none of the stores in my area have one in stock...which is why I had to order it. BUT, in order to get my feet wet with 4K, I didn't want to put out a big bundle of money for now. The MSRP on this unit is listed at $899. But, the Special Buy for it during this time is $379. That's a very hard price to ignore.

Here's a link to the unit I've ordered...

https://sceptre.com/overview-226.html

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

if you plan on playing at 4k.... you'll need to invest in a DP to HDMI 2.0 active adapter.... none of the AMD based video cards today support HDMI 2.0 (the hdmi ports are 1.4 which limit you to 4k 30hz which isn't very nice to look at imo)

Dyre Straits likes this.
  8. Dyre Straits

Thanks for the heads up! Those don't appear to be very costly, either.

Also, I'm going by Walmart today to correct the order I placed last night. I had meant to order this one...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-U505CV-UMC-49-4K-Ultra-HD-2160p-120Hz-LED-HDTV-4K-x-2K/46784936

So, I need to cancel the original order and get that corrected. They are the same price....which totally caught me off guard.

9. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

You know, when it comes to monitors and TV screens the only brands I trust are Samsung and LG. Just my 2 cents.