Custom Manufactured Heat Sink

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by mooslron, Dec 22, 2015.

1. mooslron

mooslron New Member

Hi fellas! I am from Toronto. I run a computer store. I have sales of various hardware components. I want to know if it is okay to get heat sink's manufactured from a local manufacturer. I have been thinking about this for quiet some time. There is this manufacturer in Toronto who manufactures precision metal products. It is given on their website that they manufacture heat sinks http://www.bayviewmetals.com/metal-fabrication/precision-sheet-metal/. I want to know what are the things that should be take care of while manufacturing heat sink's for gaming pc's. What kind of fans are the best for such cooling fans. I hope someone can help me with this.

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

surprised no one got to this, but I'll give it a shot.

high end heatsinks for CPUs are rather complex devices that would be very expensive to make a custom heatsink equivalent for; and that is not even factoring in the capabilities of that local manufacturer.

the thing is, with CPUs, specifically gaming or rendering workloads require a lot of heat export from a small space, your average stock heatsink is designed to deal with the stock TDPs that range from about 65-95w of heat output at normal operating conditions in order for the CPU to stay within the 60-85C operating temperature limit, depending on which model we are talking about here.

Retail models are spec'd/advertised to handle heat outputs from 150-300w with the use of more advanced heatpipe or vapor chamber technologies in order to attain that kind of cooling power for the small 4cm X 4cm surface area of a CPU IHS

In order for you to create a heatsink that will be worth your time and money, you need something that can definitively outperform the mass produced models on the market, which I do not see as being feasible unless you really do not care about a budget.

Most heatsink/metal fabricators like what you linked above make heatsinks and chassis for the BROAD electronics market. Things like heatsink panels for Hi-Fi amplifiers and LED lighting fixtures that do not require the specialization that CPUs require are more or less the capability of that kind of company. While they can likely build you a nice computer case, which could very well be a much better means of cooling a system overall, what you are describing likely goes well beyond their capabilities.

Can always call them and tell them what you want and see what happens though, I just don't feel a custom heatsink has any real value due to the reasons above.

Calliers likes this.
  3. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I don't think they do anything with vapor chambers or the like.. just sheetmetal.

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

exactly... even if they did, im sure it would be prohibitively expensive, thats specialty stuff...

sure, they can probably build a computer chassis for you but im also sure you would need to submit the design for them to build from. That however, can also make a huge difference as far as cooling is concerned.