Cyberpunk 2077 General Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by IvanV, Dec 19, 2020.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Unless you like to drive cars that have banana peels for wheels, or walk along streets filled with doors that you'll never unlock, night clubs that you'll never enter (even if they have huge "shop windows" with strippers - those glass panels are impervious to any of your weapons), filled with NPCs that are dumber than a pile of bricks (leave a bike on the road and you'll cause a pile up; occasionally, they'll lock up an intersection on their own, playing a game of "no, you go first" among themselves; and they aren't much smarter on foot either). Oh, and RPG is really shallow, most decisions you make are completely irrelevant. But then a couple of replies in one mission (that mostly look as good as the others) decide whether you can later get a certain, more positive ending or not. Also, from time to time, the voice actors really miss the emotion, it looks like some of the lines were recorded out of context. Even Johnny (Reeves). If I haven't persuaded you yet, you can expect loot you can't pick up, an occasional bugged mission, an occasional UI glitch or CTD (had one in around 60h, so, not to bad, but it did happen; other things I mentioned, not game breaking, but they happen).

But who am I kidding, I'm loving the game! Got to the "point of no return" in around 55h, decided not to go through until I've tied up some additional story arcs. Regretted bitterly reading a mission guide and going back and doing that one bit as they suggested instead of how I originally did it - their approach initially makes a significant NPC happier, but, in the longer run, that choice blows up badly into the faces of the ones I was supposed to help. It doesn't affect my available outcomes or even any future missions AFAIK (except for that bit of gut wrenching dialog), but I got attached to that bunch, one character in particular. I was really a little bit heartbroken when I found out how things developed.

So, it's (more than) a good game in my book, but really curb your expectations, because, while they don't define my experience with this title, all the things I wrote in the first paragraph are true, and with many people's expectations of what the game will provide being almost boundless, no wonder that many were disappointed.

All things considered, if you're aware of all the game's faults and you're still itching to play it, go for it, but if you're not sure, maybe wait for some of the DLCs. I have no idea what will be in them, they might nudge the game closer to what some were hoping for, or not, but either way, if you're not in a hurry, they won't make the game worse. :)

Trusteft likes this.
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You really really really suck at making people not want something. :p
    Thank you. :)

Basically what I had in mind. The game is months away from feeling perfect for what it is, and even that is not what it was supposed to be. Instead of an open world true RPG, it's like a more linear Deus Ex, in a larger open world setting where too you can only enter a limited amount of places and have meaningful interaction with the rare NPC.
    The difference is that it has a far larger map, obviously better looking and has driving.
    BTW, have you drove cars in the game with a game controller or only with keyboard? I wonder if that helps with the driving at all.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  3. IvanV

Regarding the controller, it has crossed my mind and I might try one the next time I get into the game. It should help a little, because tapping the direction buttons several times when I want to turn (instead of holding them for a bit) does help with keeping the control over the vehicle, so analog control over how sharply you're turning should be better than just full left/right that the keyboard provides. Also, as a side note, bikes seem to be slightly easier to control, and since they get through the traffic more easily, I use them most of the time.

Trusteft likes this.
  4. Trusteft

If you do, please let me know. I am curious.
    Also, any chance you can drive with the mouse? It used to be a thing back in the 80s and 90s for some driving games.

5. luckyjack

luckyjack New Member

I heard so many positive reviews about this game! Wanna try it too in the near future.

6. IvanV

Got to the ending after around 70h, which is an ok playthrough in my opinion. In that time, I think that I've played through almost all of the side missions, those forming story arcs relating to important side characters. I barely touched any gigs, though, maybe 15-ish (including cyberpsycho sightings that I've encountered), plus a few more that I left open, so there is still plenty of contents that I haven't gone through. And it's good stuff, actually, so I totally get the folks with the 100+h playthroughs (and gigs are one of the elements in the game that certainly took a ton of time to create, for anyone wondering where did all that time spent in development go), it's just that the draw of the main story was stronger in my case than that of these minor side quests.

The ending is another thing that shows ambition. From the 'point of no return' till the end, on most of the possible paths, you will have around 2-3h of gameplay. BTW, without divulging too much, I'd say you don't have to worry too much about the 'secret ending'. If you want to go through all of the possible paths to the end, then of course you need to try to get it, but otherwise... I find it slightly overhyped. (disclaimer: haven't played through it, I just googled what it was all about after I finished the game).

7. Trusteft

Why didn't anyone tell me you can drive a 911 in this game?

8. IvanV

The long awaited Cyberpunk Patch 1.2 is out! The change log is loooong, but some of the highlights are:
    • raytracing on AMD cards
    • better vehicle handling (with some new in game options to adjust sensitivity - especially important if you're using a keyboard)
    • adjustments to police spawning (they should no longer insta-spawn right behind your back the moment you do something that attracts their attention)
    • some new key mapping options, including the option to map dodge as something other than double tap on a movement key (wasn't a problem for me, but this was requested a lot)
    There were other minor tweaks as well as tons of bug fixes of all kinds, as well as some performance and stability improvements. Full log here.

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Trusteft

The game is on sale now (20% off). I am waiting to see if there is any performance boost before I consider getting it. I have no interest in the storyline, but at just moving through the world and seeing things.

10. clubrope

clubrope Active Member

Oh, I already bought it before. Maybe a bad decision? Not quite sure. :D

11. Trusteft

Well I bought it last night. It's going to take a while to download the files (28 parts of about 4GB each). I am doing this manually ( I hate clients) so I download a file and when I remember I download the next, etc.
    I will probably finish some time today.
    I understand there are bugs, many of which were fixed, and complains about the driving which also probably are fixed with patch 1.2.
    My point is, I didn't get it so much for the game part, but for the world part. I just want to drive/walk in this cyberpunk world. I don't even care about the missions that much.
    Also, if I manage to hit 30fps @1440p with high settings, I will be fine.
    (GTX 1660 Super)
    I am NOT one of those who can't stand games under 60fps. Never was.

12. IvanV

If you make the High preset work, try also enabling contact shadows on top of it. There's a hit of a few fps, but it's a nice to have. 30fps should be doable, although I did notice that as the fps gets lower, the input lag becomes quite noticeable in this game, at least for me and my RX 580 (and I'm also not the one to shy from lower framerates, but it's one thing for me if the animation is not always silky smooth and it's the other if the mouse is laggy). However, the Radon Control Center (whatever it's called nowadays) has some Anti-Lag toggle and it seemed to help, but I don't know that Nvidia has the same feature (but perhaps it doesn't have that problem in the first place). The key to enjoying the game performance-wise was turning the fps counter off, tough. :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Trusteft likes this.
  13. Trusteft

I just finished downloading the files. Not sure why I said 28 files, it's 27 files. Total of 103GBs. Perhaps the largest setup files I ever had. I can't remember.
    I am going to move the files to another drive and install from there.
    I am planning on using a gamepad (XboxOne) as doing so helps with these games and lower framerate.
    Not now though, later tonight as I plan on playing/streaming some Civ IV soon.
    I don't use the Nvidia special control panel (don't even remember the name for it). I will be very careful with the in game settings though.
    Here is the thing, people complained about the game Control and the fps in it running on 1660 Super. Saying you should play it at 1080 medium or whatever. I ended up running it at 1440p with most settings at max, just a few lowered, and the game runs awesome. No idea the framerate as I don't have any counters open unless I have a very specific reason to do so. Benchmarking or testing something.
    I agree with you about the fps counter.
    Speaking of CB2077, I have heard youtubers complaining about the framerate , seeing numbers above 30 and saying "it's terrible, it's unplayable" and other BS like that. How can I take these people seriously?

Tipstaff and IvanV like this.
  14. Trusteft

It took 23 minutes to install the game from a secondary SATA SSD to my main nvme SSD.
    I ran the game and while I didn't play at all, just checked the settings, I was impressed. :)
    First of all the game loaded in windowed mode, bordlerless, instead of full screen. I don't know if it will affect the performance to leave it like that, or should I change it to full screen.
    The resolution was set to 1440p and the settings to high. I disabled motion blur and a couple of other things I know I don't like.
    Later tonight or tomorrow I will plug in the gamepad and play the game. If I have min of 30fps I will be happy.
    If I believe the framerate is much higher than 30 then I might consider turning up some details even higher.

I also installed the latest game drivers by nvidia.

IvanV likes this.
  15. Trusteft

Played like half an hour or so. Crossed the borders then hid. Haven't entered the city proper yet.
    The game looks good, though the shadows don't feel....right. Like there are not enough shadows in the world.
    Framerate wise the game feels good, playing with a Xbone controller, though I am a bity curious what the framerate is.
    I don't know if the game has an in game counter.
    My main and issue so far is the weird acceleration when using the controller. I read there are advanced options under camera controls which fix that, so I am going to do that the next time I run the game.

16. Trusteft

Gamepad acceleration fixed by changing settings in the advanced part of first person game controller settings.

V1.2
    High settings, 2560x1440p, with my GTX 1660 Super and i7 5960X. 64GB RAM, fast NVMe drives.
    Getting 30ish frames per second. Not great, but not bad. 1080p +80%, but blurry.
    So pwetty!
    I have zero interest in playing the missions. I just like to walk and enjoy the view. It feels like GTA Vice City all over again.

IvanV likes this.