Dam ASUS and I need a new mobo and stuff

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by DaSnIpE, Jun 14, 2002.

1. DaSnIpE

DaSnIpE Driverage Snipe

Alright, 1st my A7V266, then the A7V333. BLAST!

My board won't post at all and doesn't detect my ram. This is the last time I'll ever buy an Asus board. I was replacing paste on my HSF (the idiot at the store put the thermal pad that came with the Volcano 7 instead of AS 3 like I told him 2) and then now my board won't post. I reset the CMOS and now I get the constant beeping meaning it doesn't detect my perfectly fine RAM. I'm going to RMA the board and throw it on my parents rig, but man, this pisses me off. It might've been the Shark Technologies generic 300W PSU on my rig (with 2 cases fans 2).

Right now I'm on a Celeron 633 (OC'ed from 566) and it'll have to stay that way for a bit :( At least it's got a Radeon 7000 SDR, w00t!!!

Ok, since I'm getting a new motherboard, I'm probably going to go all out and get a new processor, ram, case and PSU.

For motherboard I'm thinking Epox or Abit, dunno which is better.

For processor, I'm thinking XP 2000+ (last one u can unlock) or sticking with the 1800+ and buying a duron for my parents

For case I need some good suggestions, I need a big, roomy, not too expensive case with lots of case fan space (Antec's seem good)

PSU it's between the Antec Truepower's or the Enermax ones.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Thanks

2. Doomtrooper

Doomtrooper Driverheaven Senior Member

3. DaSnIpE

DaSnIpE Driverage Snipe

I'm looking for a good brand name Case/PS, so dunno about the AOpens. How is the MSI KT3 is performance/overclockability compared to other KT333 boards.

Also, I'm going to have to get some decent ram, I'm thinking OCZ or Corsair PC2700/PC 3000 ram. Or maybe the Samsung ram from bigfootcomputers. I need a 512 stick @ Cas2/Fastest Settings. ( http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...en=CTGY&Store_Code=Bigfoot&Category_Code=0940 )

4. Doomtrooper

I have that case :)

It comes with a quality powersupply, good 5V and 12V voltage..you can order the tower without the powersupply and replace it with a Enermax. There is also the Antec case, it is also a nice tower at the link I gave you.

The MSI board is nice..score 9.5 out of 10 and have installed a few.

http://www.athlonmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=170

5. DaSnIpE

DaSnIpE Driverage Snipe

I'm thinking either SX1000 series without PS and getting an Enermax 400 or 430 or the Performance Plus 880 from Antec with the TruePower 430. The MSI looks kool too, hehe, I'm going to read up more about it, I have LOTS(2-3 weeks) of time before I get the case for this stuff,lol.

6. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

directron.com has the antec "alienware" cases including the old hydraulic model ;)

they also have the antec PSUs as well as the Enermaxes

for a board Id say the Abit AT7

They OC well due to no legacy junk being on the board
    They keep pretty good temps
    Plus heh they have onboard firewire, lan, sound, 6 IDE channels, USB 2.0 and its a via KT333 board :) check it out ;)

7. Doomtrooper

He lives in Canada and buying over the border is not cost effective due to the Canadian dollar.

Edit:

Based on the current exchange rate

Currency converter

Saturday, June 15, 2002

119 US Dollar = 184.129 Canadian Dollar
    119 Canadian Dollar (CAD) = 76.90816 US Dollar (USD)

Then shipping, duties at the border would be approx $220 + dollars...sucks :mad:

The US prices are amazing...

8. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Thank you Doomtrooper!

That's what I've been trying to tell the wife for the past 6 months whenever she keeps asking me why the heck I keep getting new hardware, it's just so damned cheap it's almost like they're giving it away! (I remember paying $140 back in '97 for 64MB of ram....same thing today is what, $11? :) )

I keep thinking that I'm geek spoiled-rotten even though I whine about living in the boonies a lot, my local bi-monthly pc show is a luxury I should quit taking for granted!

9. Doomtrooper

Have you tried ordering from Canada ?? I would think that US citizens would do well with the exchange rate ?? It works good that way, just not our way :tears:

10. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Not yet, but...

...armed with this new found knowledge it looks like I'm going to have to go cyber-shopping a bit later tonight at some of our neighbors-to-the-north's shops....

[SIZE=xx-small](I don't think my wife is going to like you very much. It's times like this that I'm VERY glad that she never reads the boards.)[/SIZE]

11. DaSnIpE

DaSnIpE Driverage Snipe

Some of the best places are http://www.bigfootcomputers.com and http://www.ncix.com/canada

I have others on my broken comp :(

I've also found the case I really the, the Antec SX1080B with the side panel intake fan and a Truepower 430W PS. That kills 2 birds, next is mobo and ram. The abit is looking good, it has actually features, but ram is a toss up between Corsair, OCZ and Samsung.

12. DaSnIpE

DaSnIpE Driverage Snipe

I looked at the price of the AT7 and it's 250 in canada, so that's not very good.

I've read reviews of the GA-7VRXP from Gigabyte, it's just as fast as everyones, has a great price, and all the features of the AT7, and actually has PCI slots (the AT7 has 3!!!)

Still have time tho, hehe, not getting payed for a bit :(.

13. Doomtrooper

Didn't like the MSI board ?? Its only 185 with all its features ....

14. DaSnIpE

DaSnIpE Driverage Snipe

That's true, dunno, it's tough, hehe man, soo many choices.

How much would it cost to send the SX1080B case to quebec ?

15. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

depends on where youre getting it from

if you mean from here in the states i can get it at a decent price

as far as the mobo the reason why the AT7 only has 3 PCI slots is that everything other than a modem is built into it ;)

the audio is full 6 channel and everything

but i can see not wanting to spend that much

that said though i know its my board unless something much better comes out before i have the money to drop on the parts