Dark Messiah of Might and Magic Review @ GameSpot

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Iria, Oct 27, 2006.

1. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I'll light candles lamenting your decision :hmm:

LeanWolf likes this.
  2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

i think it looks ok,. i downloaded the demo on steam, not sure its my kind of game but its polished enough - you certainly cant knock the HL2 engine thats for sure, smooth as silk and looks great. Gamespot reviews really are just the opinion of the person reviewing it. its certainly not a basis for purchasing a game. If you are really into finding out if a game is worthwhile, check videos, 2 or 3 reviews like IGN (who seem generally a bit more objective) then even try a demo. I think some of you guys are being a bit hard on the game tbh, its not a classic but its certainly not garbage either.

3. studbagel9

studbagel9 Rolling the Hard Six

Omega, as I've been playing through, I sort of get the idea that they don't want you to be able to master all three skills. I think that they sort of want you to pick an area, and then that way you can play it again and choose another area to go through. I feel that it's too short though as well, especially considering the linearity of the feel of the game. There never seems to be any wandering around you can do, or at least not much. I'm not sure that it totally gains the whole "Action RPG" tag that it's got. I think of Deus Ex or System Shock 2 when I think action RPG. This game is more like... a melee FPS with an advanced progression system. It's fun though, but I think I need to upgrade because there were a few performance issues that I had.

4. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

From the Demo its not my type of RPG and the elements haven't really changed. I wasn't expecting them to either.

I think I will have a problem with most RPG's that come out with the way Oblivion has been spoiling me ;)

5. HardwareHeaven

Yeah I think the 5 or 6 posts you made in this thread make that quite apparent. I beat Oblivion and liked it myself although i really didn't buy into the hype or the "let's explore every millimetre of land to get 100%". I beat oblivion in a few days with a level 2 character and thought the game could have been better tbh. I didnt like the combat system or the insanely stupid levelling system either, but i was in the minority. as for Dark Messiah, I can't really comment, but it sure as hell doesn't look as bad as some people are saying it is. the graphics are excellent and the demo combat certainly looked good enough to me. Well worth a look IMO. Take a look at Gothic 3, that gets everything into perspective !

6. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

If you think of DM as an FPS and not RPG you'll probably enjoy it a lot more.

7. Guyver2K5

Guyver2K5 Don't make me hungry.

I may check it out, if its anything like oblivion ill like it.

8. HardwareHeaven

not really, as omegared said think of it more as a FPS with role playing character improvements and combat. for some reason specific aspects reminded me slightly of Deus Ex (obviously in a much different environment).

9. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Well the combat in the demo was off for me, attacks wouldn't connect and you always had to do too overdo the motions to kill somebody. If it was a bit more realistic than arcade style combat I would have looked int it more.

The reason why I like Oblivion is because I'm the kind of gamer that buys for the story and to beat the game (and unlock everything and complete 100%). Though I have found lately I really don't have the time for it anymore. I enjoy Oblivion because its one of those games that takes over a year to complete when you playing it off and on. I just don't feel I'm getting my money's worth with a hack and slash FPS. But I'm sure I've made this perfectly clear already so I'll shut up now.

Edit: Damn, quiet a few people are say this looks and feels like Deus Ex (probably my fav RPG of all time, the original of course). May have to look a little closer.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  10. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

:)

11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

OK...so, I got the game.....got it installed...

And, what's this? The default key configuration is all misconbobulated from anything I've ever seen before. In fact, I don't recall it being like this in the demo.

So, I commenced to reconfigure the keys to my liking and, lo! and behold! the game will NOT let me use W for Walking! What's up with that?

It's a very, very simple key configuration and it appears that every other change I've made is working. But, not this one!

:(

EDIT: OK...here's something.....

From the Readme:

"- US Keyboard binding
    In the Multiplayer game, your keyboard will sometimes be detected as a US keyboard. If you have an international keyboard, like the French keyboard, reassigning your keys will give you the US equivalent. For exemple binding "W" to crouch will read "Z" in the keyboard options' menu."

So, can someone give me some help on how to get the US "W" to work for walking? Z is working for running...but, I don't want to have to run everywhere.

EDIT 2: So, I can use W only if I assign it to RUN.... Nothing seems to work for just plain old WALKING.....

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  12. Dyre Straits

Not a bug.....

From the Readme:

"- ALT+TAB
    Using the ALT+TAB key combination to switch between applications may cause problems. We do not support the use of the ALT+TAB function."

13. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Isn't that just another way of saying it's a bug? :D Other source games can ALT-Tab so I'm guessing they need to fix it.

The key config was really weird I also redid the keys but it didn't have a problem with the "W" key. As for run you mean sprint right? That's shift I think.

14. Dyre Straits

Well, in this game, RUN must mean WALK....and SPRINT means RUN. I don't know but, there is no WALK as I understand it. Using the W key in place of the Z key makes me move forward rather quickly. The only way to move slowly forward is to CROUCH.

And, yes, using the SHIFT key with the W key does move me along faster....

It's just a weird setup.

I've made it to Stonehenge just in time for the excitement to start.

15. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Chances are I won't buy it though as I prefer an actual shooter that is like Deus Ex not an RPG. When its an RPG FPS like this it just becomes hack and slash.

I'll still look into it deeper.

16. Dyre Straits

This definitely is NOT like Oblivion -- or other RPGs I've played. In this one, when you check your inventory it doesn't pause the game...you have to make all these moves 'on the fly' like I originally thought all games had to be played. It's taking me a little bit to get used to that after Baldur's Gate, NWN, Morrowind, and Oblivion. I've been slaughtered a few times now thinking that the game has paused but those enemies haven't gotten the same idea. LOL

I'm also kind of disappointed that WALK isn't something that can be set by default. Who in their right mind set this game up as a 'run and gun' game?

However, so far, it's entertaining and challenging. At least for an old gamer like myself that's looking for something to keep my idle time busy. :)

17. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I can't speak for the full game, I have only tried the demo through Steam.

The game looks great sounds great and feels great. I prefer the fighting in this game than in say oh Oblivion.

I haven't read the review yet, but I guess it is one of those few times I do not agree with them.
    Anyway, there is one thing I don't fully understand here. Why all the bitching about this game not being a good RPG or an equal to Oblivion? This game is not an RPG. I don't think they are selling it as an RPG. I think I remember them (developers) that the game is an FPS, similar to HL2 but with a fantasy/medieval setting. Reading people accusing the game is not like Oblivion is like having people angry because HL2 is not like Jagged Alliance.
    Dark Messiah is an action FPS game with magic and melee weapons. NOT and RPG, and that is not bad on its own.
    I will buy the game after 6 months or so since I have other games that I want to get first.

18. Dyre Straits

If this game isn't an RPG, then why are the majority of the reviews referring to it as such? In fact, all of the reviews I've read so far do refer to it as an RPG.

I've made it to Chapter 3 and, other than the fact that there is no game pause when I access my inventory, it feels and plays a lot like Oblivion to me.....only much more restricted/scripted in what can be done.

So far, I've enjoyed lighting up my arrows and then lighting up the enemies. ;) I've also gotten to be very accurate with the bow and have several one-shot head shots that have put the enemy down immediately. So, if getting one-shot head shots with a bow and arrow makes it a FPS, all the merrier. LOL!

But, the point is, it seems a majority of the reviewers are calling it an RPG.

Might be time for a new POLL. :) Just what IS Dark Messiah? ;)

19. HardwareHeaven

That is a very good question and one i would put into the "reviewers are idiots" category. its not an RPG. unless you class deus ex as one. Its certainly not an oblivion style game, and I totally agree with Bluemak. I dont really think its that important whatever you categorise it as, just as long as people are aware not to be expecting an RPG "free roam anywhere" style game, it falls into a FPS scripted, one path style game.

I actually bought the game off steam last night as I enjoyed the demo.

20. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Well so far, my brother loves it and I gotta say ,it looks cool. Though not an RPG that's for sure... FPS with swords and bows? Definately :D