Dead MB or PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by e v o, Jul 17, 2009.

1. e v o

e v o New Member

So my HTPC bit the dust yesterday. I was watching a movie and the TV suddenly displayed the "no signal" message. I tried all the usual stuff, switching the graphics card (GFX card was still good), switching ram, clearing CMOS, unplugging components etc., but I still couldn't get it to display anything. Another thing is that the CDRom drive does not power up. Usually at boot, the activity light will light up and I'll be able to open/close the drive, but no response.

Anyone have any ideas? The boot code is FF which on the EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra should mean everythings ok. My PSU is an Antec Phantom 500. I'm leaning towards the MB as it's the oldest and has been through a lot. I will be able to get another PSU to test with this weekend, but any advice is appreciated.

EDIT: Pretty sure it's the MB, when the cable is connected to the CDrom drive, the drive won't respond, but if it's just connected via power, it does.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

so the RAM, GPU and CD Rom check out fine? it most likely can be the mobo...

3. e v o

e v o New Member

Yeah, guess it's an excuse to upgrade.

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

you plan to stay with your current hardware or do you want to run new stuff?

5. e v o

e v o New Member

The HTPC I had was an old AMD 3000+, and I think I'm just going to upgrade the MB and CPU to an E5200 and P5QL (I have some extra DDR2 ram laying around). I want to keep it was cheap as possible if I'm going this route as I don't need much for the HTPC. It will be nice to play 1080P as the AMD 3000+ just couldn't make it (did 720p fine). I was considering upgrading my E6600 to a Q9550 and a more expensive P45 MB, but that would be $200 more and I really don't need the upgrade.

Kris, if you have an suggestions, esp for the MB I'd like to hear them. Again, I don't need a fancy MB, just a solid P43/P45, for around 100.

6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

7. e v o

e v o New Member

Wow, am I out of it. Those are impressive. The only thing that bothers me right now is that this is going to be about the same if not faster than my E6600, :p

8. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

haha thats pretty possible... y not buy em for yourself and put ur e6600 in the HTPC? thats what id do

e v o likes this.
  9. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

personally, i have an itching feeling that it's not the MoBo but rather the PSU. my reasoning for this is because you mentioned that the CD-ROM drive doesn't power up/initialize during boot.

it also sounds like you have another PSU from another machine available? why not take your PSU from this machine and just jimmy-rig it to the other machine (or vice-versa)? That way you can find out if it's a PSU or MoBo issue.

10. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

CDs he said that if the drives were plugged into the mobo they dont work, but if they were just powered from the PSU, they work fine.... so it sounds like the mobo to me