Deadzone Xbox 360 Controller on Vista?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Vesper, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Vesper

Vesper Ex-Review Monkey

I just downloaded the Need for Speed Pro Street demo and it made me remember how much trouble I've had with my Xbox 360 controller for games that don't have a built in dead zone feature. Without it, my car always veers off to the side making it impossible to drive straight, which makes racing so much harder.

I've tried a few programs already but haven't gotten anything to work, so does anybody know a good tweak/program that lets you either universally set a deadzone for a controller, or at least create specific profiles for each game?

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm just now downloading the demo. I'll let you know how it goes on my rig. I'm using the USB 360 controller as well. LOVE using it in FlatOut and FlatOUt 2 and a few others.

BTW, how much of a Deadzone do you usually setup?

EDIT: It seems to be spot on for me. I got first place in the Completed Race...first one, anyway.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  3. Vesper

Vesper Ex-Review Monkey

Are you using XBCD? I've just been doing plug-and-play for my 360 controller and it's always been noticeably off. I think for DiRT I have a deadzone of around 15%.

4. Dyre Straits

I was using XBCD previously under XP Pro SP2. But, since installing Vista 32-bit, I haven't tried to set it up. So, I'm using the native Windows drivers for it. I've played FlatOut 2 to death, too!

5. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

I am aware of the date of this thread...
    Dyre> Can you give a little guide of how you installed these to get them to work right and what versions you used? Thx
    I had a Madcatz version of the 360 controller that was spot on so I had no need to use XBCD. It bit the dust so I bought a new one and it was way off, took it back and exchanged it and the same thing happened. So I bought an official M$ version and guess what..it is the worst of them all, lol. Now I need XBCD360 to adjust deadzone threshold and I can't get it to install and have it not be bugged. The drivers install fine and it is recognized correctly but the setup utility bugs out when I try to set up the controller. I have tried all the most current versions, 0.26 and the 0.40 complete install package with fix. both do the same thing. I used 0.25 first before I knew there were newer versions and it let me set it up but in games the movement was way heavy and unplayable. Searching there unorganized forums and with all the different versions makes it hard to troubleshoot.

6. Dyre Straits

So, you're doing this still under XP, right?

And, is this specific to NFS:pS or are other games misbehaving, too?

I'll do what I can, but, remember, it's Christmas. :)

7. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

XP32
    All games have the heavy movement feeling with 0.25 and I can't set up the controller with the other versions to be able to play anything.
    Take your time. I guess I should have just asked if the outdated install instructions were still correct. I don't expect you to write some long drawn out guide or anything.
    It is most likely something on my end that is conflicting with these drivers anyhow. Merry Christmas

8. Dyre Straits

There are actually newer versions than what you mentioned. Have you tried any of them?

XBox Controller Driver

I haven't tried any under Vista but may try to do that tonight to see if they even get installed.

I do recall that I had a little issue with the way the actual installation was completed. That is, you have to do it via Device Manager and then do a manual update of the drivers from the original XBOX 360 MS installed drivers. A few times I got the Code 10 [I think it was] but, eventually got it working. Since there are newer versions now, I'd hope that this issue has been resolved.

Let me know if these newer versions are any better. If they don't work under Vista, I can boot into XP for a trial run.

9. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

10. Dyre Straits

I'm up in XP Pro SP2 at the moment and have updated my XBOX 360 Controller to the 0.26 driver version of XBCD. Here's what I get in Device Manager and then in the XBCD Setup:

[​IMG]

XBCD Settings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To complete this installation/update, all I had to do was select the Controller in Device Manager, select to Update Driver and then point it to where the 0.26 driver was installed. Once done, the Settings app appears in the All Programs list under XBCD.

Now, how much of a Deadzone do you usually set? I play around with anything between 0 and 10%.

11. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

I got all the drivers to install but when I open up the setup utility with 0.26 and the 0.40+ version that includes 0.26 and try to configure the deadzone it bugs out and starts recognizing the triggers and axis as buttons. Moving either sticks or pulling the triggers results in the utility to bounce through all the buttons and pov positions in a buggy way. I must have something conflicting with the install of these drivers.
    As far as the deadzone I will need when I get these drivers to work..I used to use 5 to 10%. This controller I got now may need like 15 to 17% until it gets warn in.
    Thx for taking the time to install these and convince me they are working ok.

PS: I totally forgot...I am running XP SP3 RC1. I bet that has something to do with it. I don't know what, but as long as I can blame it on M$ then I don't feel so frustrated, lol. I really don't know how it could be because I looked extensively at the release notes and looked pretty extensively in the OS directory for changes. I even used list view to sort by modified date and the only thing I can think of that could be the issue is the OS installer package was updated. Anyhow, Thx again