Decode AC3 from SPDIF-IN on SBLive?

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by gustav66, Apr 20, 2004.

1. gustav66

gustav66 New Member

Hi!

I've read here that AC3-decoding from SPDIF-IN only works with Audigy-cards, however, when I send an AC3-signal from my XBOX into the SBLive and start a game, a balloon pops up and says AC3 SPDIF-decode!!

Does that mean it works? My problem is that I don't have an SBLive 5.1, so I only have two analog outputs instead of three, theoretically the drivers could output the third channel to a second soundcard instead - another idea would be to take the 3rd channel from the DIN-connector and feed it into the SPDIF-IN on that a second soundcard.

Any comments on this?

G.

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

ok AC-3 Decoding works when you have the AC-3 filter… but PASSTHROUGH (which sends AC-3 straight out the digital outputs) does not work on 10k1 cards yet

3. gustav66

gustav66 New Member

What do you mean? The Directoshow-AC3Filter? I have it installed but there's still nothing output.

G.

4. trituref

trituref New Member

where is the "AC-3 spdif decode" option ? i have a sblive and i'm confuse because there is no precise answer to this question ! can anyone make me a screenshot of the "AC3 spdif decode" ? please

5. gustav66

gustav66 New Member

There's a popup in the tray when a AC3-signal is detected, however I'm not sure what happens with it then. I got myself an external decoder now.

-G

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the only way to use the external device is to connect it directly to the ac-3 source if you have an sblive… you cannoy use ac-3 passthrough yet

7. gustav66

gustav66 New Member

yeah, did that - additionally, i couldn't get the kxproject-drivers to output ac3 via the spdif (ac3filter/dvd-player), so i've switched back to the original drivers - bummer, i was eager to test it with cubase.
    too bad kxproject doesn't have a better/more comprehensive documentation, it seems to be a superb product!

-G

8. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

currently there are efforts to increase the documentation availabe, i am working on a getting started guide, and thinking of mayb an Advanced Tips & Tricks page…

9. stevenz

stevenz New Member

I can't find any way of routing the SPDIF input through to AC3 Filter. What do I need to use to achieve this? At the moment I'm just listening to raw AC3 which the driver doesn't think is valid audio. Presumably as it's expecting PCM input only.

The little notification box pops up saying "SPDIF Decode" - so presumably the driver actually _is_ recognising it as a valid input, despite the SPDIF/I2S status module not labelling it as such. As it's a 10k1 card, (SB0100), regardless of valid or not, the drivers aren't able to decode it, so I'm after some way of getting AC3-Filter to take the input and output it back as a Directshow 5.1 feed so I can get multichannel output.

I notice that even the Creative drivers seem to give up if they get anything other than a 5.1 channel dolby feed to decode, 2.1 channel gets ignored.

Using the "Open device" function in Media Player Classic, I can get AC3Filter to notice the input, but it still thinks it's 2-channel PCM. I wonder if there's an issue with the Digital-I/O card I'm running, but as normal PCM is getting to the e10k1 from the optical SPDIF, I wouldn't have thought so.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004