Dell ATI Mobility RADEON™ HD 4670 – 1GB mobility Modder Support

Discussion in 'Mobility Modder Discussion' started by dansrfe, Jul 15, 2009.

1. dansrfe

dansrfe New Member

I am looking for Mobility Modder to support ATI Mobility RADEON™ HD 4670 – 1GB for the Dell Studio XPS 1640 laptop that I really, really, want to buy but I need to make sure mobility modder will work with it otherwise i have no oher way. Please, please help.

Thanks,
    dansrfe

2. dansrfe

dansrfe New Member

Bump...

3. necrophyte

necrophyte New Member

4. dansrfe

dansrfe New Member

Thanks a million man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want to make sure that with the 9.2 mod for MM, my radeon 4670 1GB laptop gfx card will work with it right? So the MM beta mod takes care of the hardware compatibility list problem of the 4670 card not being on it?

Thanks very, very, very, very much again man. I can finally buy this laptop now ;)!!!!!

5. necrophyte

necrophyte New Member

actually not yet - it will, when a new version of MM supporting radeon 4-series comes out. the links i showed you tell you how to modify your drivers by yourself and so make the newest drivers usable.

but i definitely wouldnt let some uncertainty on gpu drivers prevent me from buying a laptop, especially when the gpu in question is one of the most recent and most used ones - theres always a solution. as i said - MM, when it supports radeon 4-series; until then try the manual modification (i use that since ccc 9.1 - nothing against MM, but i prefer it). if you plan to use win7, there are even official ATI mobility radeon drivers available.

6. dansrfe

dansrfe New Member

Ahhhhh, am confused again :(. Basically I plan to buy the Studio XPS 16 with this specific Graphics Card listed above. I want reformat and install Windows XP Pro x64 on the laptop and was hoping to use the latest drivers with it with mobility modder. I had the impression that using the mobility modder beta mod that you listed as "Possible fix for 9.2 and later" would help me in installing CCC 9.2 with the mobilty modder (with beta patch) on the laptop. i just need step by step instructions on how to do what I want to do because I really am not that proficient in this driver modifying and compatibility stuff. Thanks again. waiting for your reply. :)

7. SugarDee

SugarDee New Member

They're working on adding support to MM, but its not here yet. So just wait.

8. necrophyte

necrophyte New Member

as i said before, dont let a gpu like the 4650, which is one of the most common and newest gpus at present, make you unsure about buying a laptop. the gpu is definitely a great one (i myself would pay double if HP offered me a mobility 4650 for my present business notebook or its successor) and the driver problem can be fixed easily.

the instructions on modifying the driver manually are described in the above links (and are very simple - just add some few lines/numbers to the .ini files - thats all) and soon MM will also support radeon 4-series cards.

9. dansrfe

dansrfe New Member

Thanks for the response again :) Can you just please post the step-by-step instructions on how to modify the driver and what lines to add to the ini files and what exactly to do basically from what to download to having the Driver installed and ready to go. I looked through the 9.3 MM thread and I got so confused with all the different posts and people saying to add this then add that, then something works and something doesn't. i can't fiigure out exactly what to do :( :confused: . I basically need baby step type instructions on how to do the entire process.

Thanks again so much I really really appreciate all the help thats been given to me on this forum. I am out of words to describe the help given to me here ;).

Thanks

PS: Reps added :)

10. necrophyte

necrophyte New Member

sure, just tell me your OS. the only difference as what to fill in where depends on the gpu and the OS you have.

11. dansrfe

dansrfe New Member

Well the OS that I plan to install on it when I receive the laptop is Windows XP Pro 64 bit.

12. dansrfe

dansrfe New Member

Also if it is not that big of a problem for you. and since i am having dsecond thoughts on installing windows xp 64 bit. can you give the info if i choose to install Windows 7? or if I do install Windows 7 is there already support for that?

13. necrophyte

necrophyte New Member

somehow i cant find the display driver single package for winxp 64bit on ati's site right now...

ill post you all the instructions here tomorrow.

for win7 mobility gpus seem to be supported by ati now so there you can use official unmodified ati drivers.

14. necrophyte

necrophyte New Member

for some reason theres no single driver package for xp 64bit for download available (probably they forgot to put it in), so i cannot assure that everything looks exactly like ill describe now, as i am just modifying the instructions for xp 32bit with your gpu, but the differences shouldnt be a problem and you should recognize the corresp. points easily, even if they differ a bit.

the instructions here are for xp 32bit, as i said, ill highlight any point that could differ for 64bit..

download the individual driver packages (display diver only & ccc and maybe some other if you want/need, like hdmi audio driver etc. - each seperately) for win xp (64bit) from game.amd.com, then extract them (just run them, the extraction is the first step), but break up after the extraction process is over (ie. dont install them).

then go to the folder the files have been extracted to (should be C:\ATI\Support) and there to the display driver (9-6_xp64_dd).

here search for the file called CX_81744 (could differ for 64bit) inside the XP_INF folder, open it (should be opened with notepad by default), and paste the following line just below [ATI.Mfg.NTx86] (could differ for 64bit, probably [ATI.Mfg.NTx64]):

"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 " = ati2mtag_M9x, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9488

..so that it looks like this afterwards:

[ATI.Mfg.NTx64]
    "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670" = ati2mtag_M9x, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9488

save the file, then go to the file called CX_81744 (could differ for 64bit) inside the root folder (C:\ATI\Support\9-6_xp64_dd) and add:

,0x9488

to the end of the second line of the chapter called [WINXP].

the second line begins with "R6=DriverPath_R6,"

turn off word wrap under the format tab inside notepad before you add that! - otherwise the second line, and any other, is broken at the end of the monitor to fit without a horizontal scroll bar necessary, since its longer. so you wouldnt add that to the right place, since end of the second line with word wrap on is not the "real" end of the second line.

save it.

then do the same in the file called INSTALL (also inside the C:\ATI\Support\9-6_xp64_dd folder).

all these files are .ini, if you havent hidden the known file extensions under folder options in windows control panel.

after youve done that, just run the setup file inside the same folder. after the installation run the catalyst control center setup (C:\ATI\Support\9-6_xp32-64_ccc_lang1 folder) and any other if youve downloaded them (eg. HDMI etc.). you dont have to modify anything there, just inside the display driver.

maybe you can find the single display driver package for xp 64bit somewhere, shouldnt be difficult. if not, try downloading the full catalyst software suite https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/9-6_xp64_dd_ccc_enu.exe and then extract and try to modify the corresp. files inside that - not sure that this works.

but until you have the notebook and really do that modification, catalyst 9.7 will be out and then the single package will hopefully be available for download at game.amd.com.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    Mac Daddy likes this.
  15. dansrfe

dansrfe New Member

Thanks so much necrophyte, I could not have done this without you :). I will post back results as soon as i get the laptop and do the steps above. :)