Dell INSPIRON | 1000 memory upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by MGaz, Feb 5, 2012.

1. MGaz

MGaz All wheel driver!

i've just bought a Dell INSPIRON 1000 for £10 :)

its my first ever owned laptop/notebook and I can't grumble for such little cash paid. :D

However, it is painfully slow compared to my i5 desktop. & Concidering its got a 2.2 Ghz celoron cpu it's even slower than my old AMD Duron 700Mhz Desktop I used to use. God I hate laptops, tbf.. everyone i've ever used seems to have a laggy delay when ever you click on something.

But getting back on track, will a memory upgrade help?

It comes as standard with 256MB ram (no where near enough for XP) and i've seen an extra 256mb stick for this model on ebay, but i'm wondering if it would except even more ram? like a 1GB stick? or perhaps is it possible to remove the standard 256mb it shipped with and put in a pair of 512mb's? or more?

Basically, Does it HAVE to be Dell only memory? and do I HAVE to be limited to just adding a measily extra 256mb's? :dead:

2. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

No need for Dell only memory.

I'd actually recommend the tool on Crucial's website, which is quite good at recommending potential upgrades for OEM machines. You don't then have to buy Crucial memory, of course - you can go on to buy the equivalent product from a rival brand :p

3. MGaz

MGaz All wheel driver!

Okay... some interesting finds on the web. It seems that Dell is saying extra 256MB max.

Crucial's website is also saying an additional 256MB upgrade, and there seems to be a lot of people of some forums also saying 256MB's as well. But it seems these people don't have the laptop them selves and are simply going by what Dell and Crucial are saying. And point blank saying it's not possible to have more ram.

But I've found quite a few people who actually have this laptop and have actually tried 1GB ram sticks and it seems to work fine :)

Same goes for the max size of the HDD. They've had a larger drive in another laptop and have simply tried it out in the Dell inspiron 1000 and everything seems to work OK.

Anyone have any opinion's? :)

LINK:
    Jose Hill: Inspiron 1000

[​IMG]

4. MGaz

MGaz All wheel driver!

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I guess there's a small risk. Just get the cheapest RAM of the correct form factor, capacity and type (DDR2/DDR/PC1**etc.) and go for it.

6. MGaz

MGaz All wheel driver!

Well... to start with I've just bought a Dell 256MB stick , see how i get on with that. It only cost me £3.30 & free postage so I can't complain. I think that will do for now.

I'll pick up a 1GB ram stick for it later on.

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Bargain!

8. Manxe

Manxe New Member

Dude, you bought a dog. Better use it for a door stop.

The info I see online is conflicting. Dell tells you the max is 512K. But the Dell Ispiron Celeron laptop I am repairing has 701K onboard, tested and working. I see one company flogging memory and telling me that the max is 1.2Gig, "guaranteed"! They say they have a 1 Gig DDR SODIMM that you can pay 30 bucks for and they have already tried it.

LINK TO THAT OFFER REMOVED IN ORDER TO POST !!!! [Don't think I will be back here. So long, Suckas !!]

Don't know if I trust them. I would like to have a concurring second opinion. I really am not thinking of upgrading, and would not recommend you do so, as it would quadruple your cost for a lousy machine.

The reason I am doing anything at all to my dog is that it will serve as a means of presenting ppt files using a projector. My church needs that sort of throw away laptop.

BTW, this dog has a frequent problem with this generation of Dells. The screen does not work. There is a rotating harness twix the base and the screen that fails, and makes the screen squirrilly. Bitch to fix.

So even if you were able to upgrade the thing, it may not last long. You didn't get it hot, did you? Good luck with that !!

9. jwaustin

jwaustin New Member

I received a broken one from my son when he took a year off from University to go to China. In a last minute panic he bought a new HP because the Inspiron was broken. His local computer store claimed it needed a new main-board. It needed a power jack replacement and I paid a tech to do it for me. After a few days using it, I researched the memory and found a claim that a 1GB would work. It did.

Current price on eBay appears to be about $25 USD

Here is the output from CPU-Z for the 1024MB SODIMM in the Inspiron:

DIMM # 1
    SMBus address 0x50
    Memory type DDR
    Manufacturer (ID) Hyundai Electronics (AD00000000000000)
    Size 1024 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz)
    Part number HYMD512M646DFP8J

Still in use after more than six years. Lesson learned: never tell the wife you fixed her Latitude D620 or she'll give you back the Inspiron.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013