Dell Latitude D830 Windows 7 BSOD

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by cambrose, May 10, 2010.

1. cambrose

cambrose New Member

Okay, I have a Dell Latitude D830 with an NVIDIA Quadro NVS140m video card. I have been using this laptop for nearly three years no with little to no problems, keeping drivers updated as updates release.

I went from XP to Win7 during the beta and have had it since then (it is now retail with no problems). I recently updated to the newest NVIDIA drivers and had a BSOD. It continued to do it slightly before the login page. To resolve this I tried to downgrade to an archived driver, and the same problem occurred again. I finally tried the Vista X64 video driver hoping it would be okay. Same occurrence as before occurred.

When I strip all video drivers using a driver cleaner it works perfectly fine. Any tips would be appreciated.

2. cambrose

cambrose New Member

I did a clean install of Windows 7 and am still getting the same problem. Dell is telling me it isn't their fault so I'm installing debugging tools to see if I can get any hints there.

3. Sihastru

Sihastru Never been clicked

Can you confirm that it is indeed the nVidia driver to blame, by disabling the automatic system restart and writing down the BSOD information?

Also which one of the Quadro drivers did you use, there are several (Graphics, Performance, Partner Certified)?

In order to use their latest Verde driver, nVidia does recommend to install the latest BIOS for some of the Dell laptops, see this link, XPS and Latitude. D830 is very similar to the D630, so the problem might apply, see what is the latest BIOS for your D830, last time I checked it was A15 I believe.

Also the Verde driver version for Windows 7 x64 is 197.16 WHQL. Or do you have the 32 bit version of 7?

Quote from this driver's description:

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  4. cambrose

cambrose New Member

The error given says that it was unable to start the display and then display timed out. I can upload the dump file if you wish. When I uninstall the driver everything works fine.

I'm using the Quadro graphics driver, and have used the current as well as the past two non-beta releases.

I did the bios upgrade as well, to no avail. I am using the 64bit version of w7.

Thanks a lot.

5. cambrose

cambrose New Member

Here is a whocrashed log for my crashes:

[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Mon 5/10/2010 8:57:23 PM your computer crashed
    This was likely caused by the following module. [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]nvlddmkm.sys[/FONT]
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80039DE010, 0xFFFFF88004823B10, 0x0, 0x2)
    Error: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]VIDEO_TDR_ERROR[/FONT]
    Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051010-18766-01.dmp
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Mon 5/10/2010 2:27:02 PM your computer crashed
    This was likely caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]nvlddmkm.sys[/FONT]
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8003AC4010, 0xFFFFF880048F8B10, 0x0, 0x2)
    Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051010-23696-01.dmp
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Mon 5/10/2010 6:26:52 AM your computer crashed
    This was likely caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]nvlddmkm.sys[/FONT]
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8002BB0260, 0xFFFFF8800F1AC9E0, 0x0, 0x2)
    Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051010-24741-01.dmp
    [/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]
    [/FONT]

6. cambrose

cambrose New Member

It appears the issue is in a driver file, from other research I've done. Now I'm working on being able to do that. Any help anyone else knows would be greatly appreciated.

7. cambrose

cambrose New Member

Laptop ended up having a bum video card. Called Dell and they brought out a tech to fix it. Reinstalled Win 7 last night and all drivers and everything is working up to snuff.

8. Sihastru

Sihastru Never been clicked

That does happen, sorry I couldn't steer you in that direction, but I've seen nVidia drivers fail sometimes even if there isn't a hardware problem. For example when using multiple video streams sometimes, depending on you installed codecs or codec pack, the driver might fail, even if it's not really a driver problem.

I only consider hardware to be a problem when I have exhausted all other possibilities.

It's good to hear you problem was fixed, hope you get to enjoy your lappy for a long time.