Dell Studio 17 with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

Discussion in 'Mobility Modder Discussion' started by robburke, Sep 8, 2008.

1. robburke

robburke New Member

First, thank you so much for the tool - I used 1.1.1.0 to try to update my Dell Studio 17's drivers (running Vista 32 bit). However, after installation using the modded install, my driver version number has updated (to 8.522.0.0), but my Catalyst no longer runs. When I right-click the desktop I see the option for Catalyst, but clicking it does nothing. Similarly, clicking the "launch ATI Catalyst" button in the Advanced Settings tab under Display Settings does nothing.

Any ideas how I might resolve this?

2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

Hi,
    looks like the control center is not installed or not starting. Try to reinstall the .NET Framework 2.0 and see if that works or reinstall the driver package and see if you can reinstall the catalyst control center.

3. osh

osh New Member

I have Dell Studio 17 with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    On applying the mod and then installing the driver, I got the following two error messages PLUS a message that the installation has failed.

1. " Could not load file or assembly 'CLI.Implementation, Version=2.0.3188.26932, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

2. " Could not load file or assembly 'MOM.Implementation, Version=2.0.3188.37099, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

Also, I get Error no. 1 whenever I start to catalyst control center.
    Even system restore failed to change anything.
    I even installed dell drivers again and they also failed to correct the problem.

Please help me quickly... i'm not able to do anything about it and i don't know any other way to modify graphics settings without catalyst control center.

Please respond as soon as possible.

4. osh

osh New Member

Oh.. and I downloaded .NET Framework 2.0 from Microsoft's site and all it said was "This program is already a part of this operating system"... so that did not help either.

Please tell me how to get the catalyst control center back.

5. n1ghtl1fe

n1ghtl1fe New Member

im right there with rob. i have dell studio 17 with the ati 3650. i used this tool with 8.9 fine. now i had an issue were i needed to reformat my pc and when installing 8.10 i recived the error message OSH got. I completley uninstalled everything ati with driver sweeper in safe mode. I reinstalled with little problem but the catalyst wont work for me either. it says Basic mode isnt supported click advance mode to view settings. i click it an nothing comes up...

6. n1ghtl1fe

n1ghtl1fe New Member

i guess we are alone with this.

7. robburke

robburke New Member

I am very frustrated. I bluescreen at least once a day when I am plugged into an external monitor. nightlife, I hope we aren't alone on this. It has been over a month; surely someone has been working on an updated version to this driver!

8. HelpMehWithMehDellStudio

HelpMehWithMehDellStudio New Member

No, you're not. I'm also on a Dell Studio, and I'm having the exact same problem as osh. Half way through the catalyst control center install, there's an error. When I right-click on the desktop and select CCC, I get osh's error as well. Someone PLEASE help!

BTW: I'm scared to run any games for any extent of time, however, oblivion and combat arms work, it just seems to be the CCC.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  9. robburke

robburke New Member

I'm not worried about games; I bought this Pc to do development work and can't go multimonitor with the current state of affairs without being guaranteed to lose about half an hour of my work a day. I didn't reinstall Vista or anything. I even returned the first Studio 17 I received because I thought it may be faulty hardware. But the second one experiences the same problems.

10. Dagra

Dagra New Member

Hi all,

I'm under a new username here,
    but am known at the MSN group "4pcexperts"

You must not have followed things step by step, or
    you might not have done the few things, I discovered
    which help with the install of many things
    (Turn your AV Off)

I have a Studio 17 with these (basic)specs:
    Vista Ultimate SP1 32/XP PRO x64 SP2
    T9300 2.5Ghz 6MB L2
    4GB 2 x 2GB Geil 4-4-4-12(low latency MEM)
    2x 320GB 7,200RPM Scorpio BLK(Raid 0 using Vista)
    (installed both the HDD's & MEM myself)
    256MB ATI 3650 (1768MB of Hypermemory)

I have the 8.10 CATS installed using DH Mobility Modder
    1.1.1.0 for Vista

It works perfectly. The CCC is in the Taskbar tray.

Follow all their steps(and include my suggestion):

If you don't shut off UAC,(and Reboot) It will not install correctly.
    (just because Security alerts you it's off, doesnt mean it is)

If you don't shut off shut off your AV application
    (I'm using Trend Micro 16 DE)
    it can also effect the install.

With Vista You DON'T need Visual Basic.NET 2.0 !!!
    If you downloaded & installed it,(This would be a major problem)
    and couldn't use System Restore to go back,
    to before you installed that, you'll need to do a clean install
    [I've posted PC Restore for Studio 17 with Vista at the bottom of the post]

Once you have Modded the 8.10 driver
    go into the:
    ATI/SUPPORT/8-10_vista32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_69564
    Folder, and run setup.
    Use Express settings.(you can change them later)
    Wait to reboot, when it finishes, and do the other things below.

1. Re-enable UAC from
    Start>run>MSCONFIG>Tools>enable UAC>Apply

2. Click the startup tab in MSCONFIG>Make sure the CCC box is checked, (so that it works correctly)

3. Re-enable your AV application
    (It should become enabled when you reboot)
    so this one isn't as important

If you follow all of these, you should have no problems, as I bought 3 of the same Studio 17
    [for Fiance' and 16yr old Son] and added the same
    HDD's & MEM upgrades, so all three are great Media Notebooks:D Which does also play some decent games

To do this from where you are(CCC not working)
    You should un-install, the ATI catalyst Manager,
    and reboot. Then start again(I suggest the 8.10 Cats)
    If you follow everything, I did, I don't see how you can fail.

Dagra

PS
    Disable ALL the active Anti Spyware Apps you have, as well as your AV.
    Let us know how it goes

Here's the PC restore for Studio 17 with Vista

1 Turn on the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2 As the computer starts, press <F8> on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
    Note:
    You must press <F8> before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press <F8> after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3 Press the <Down Arrow> on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press <Enter>.

4 Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.

5 Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.

6 Click Dell Factory Image Restore.

7 In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.

8 Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.

9 Click Next.
    The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.

10 When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.
    The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  11. chrisjicheng

chrisjicheng New Member

hi,I'm a Dell Studio 1735 user as well, and I guess #10's reply will be of help, cuz my mobility HD 3650 works fine with mod 8.10, but used to had a CCC problem with 8.9 CCC and driver, so I turn to 8.10 Driver&CCC, and now it works fine.
    so I guess you may follow #10's suggestion and check up what step you've just missed probably.

12. osh

osh New Member

OK...Now I'm getting no errors whatsoever and i didn't need any format or system restore either...

All I did was - I uninstalled everything related to ATI - the driver and the catalyst control center - even the previously installed versions (which were provided by dell). Then I restarted and followed all the original instructions as was written in the main page.

Now it works perfectly and i have the updated driver and ccc.

13. n1ghtl1fe

n1ghtl1fe New Member

so i uninstalled all my shit for the 3rd time. this time i took dagra's advice and disabled the shit out of my anti-virus (mcafee what my studio 17 came with) use driversweeper redid everything and boom works like magic...now if i could just find that site that tells me what to set everything too to get best performance in wow............thanks dagra

14. n1ghtl1fe

n1ghtl1fe New Member

anyone else with studio 17 have problem with gaming? whenever i play WoW occasionally my charater will keep running straight or lft or rt until i hit that button again. it really sucks in wow. i think it may be with the laptops keyboard and how many keys it can respond too at once...

15. AdLyb1

AdLyb1 New Member

I have the exact same issue, but in City of Heroes. It is like the key sticks and you have to press it again before it clears.

Don't think it is related to a graphics driver issue though, so maybe a new thread? ;)

16. snobaz

snobaz New Member

I did what Dagra offered, but it work;s for 30 min., then my laptop hangs up, could somebody help me?

17. Starcade

Starcade New Member

In the process of getting my laptop ready for Street Fighter 4, I stumbled over this page. No wonder there had not been new vid drivers for my laptop for so long. I had no idea this was an issue.

I too have a Dell Studio 1735. I'm about to try the mod with the latest catalyst drivers. I'll report back how it goes, since some people seem to be having problems.