Demand for DirectX 10-compliant graphics cards may not pick up until Vista launch

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Nov 13, 2006.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Source: Digitimes
    Despite Nvidia's launch of its DirectX 10-compliant GeForce 8800 GPU last week, demand for high-end graphics cards supporting DirectX 10 may not pick up until Microsoft's Vista operating system (OS) hits the market, according to industry sources.

The sources claimed that despite Nvidia's head-start, it may not be too late for ATI to launch its R600 that supports DirectX 10 in the first quarter of 2007 because insufficient software support currently is hampering demand.

But the launch of Vista is expected to drive up graphics cards demand 20-30% in the retail market, the sources said.

Windows has promised that its business customers will be able to receive the much-delayed OS by the end of November, while general consumers will be able to get Vista in the retail market beginning on January 30, 2007, the sources pointed out.

2. Brutality

Brutality Active Member

Aah..BS. People dont buy that card for that "DX 10 compability", they buy it because it pwns every other card on DX9 level we are usin at the moment. Does it matter if people say:"I want that card because it supports DX10" or "I want that card because it pwnzors every living thing in world, including power companies!!!!!" Cash is still laid out at nVidia...

3. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Indeed ATI can be happy that Vista is delayed, because I'm guessing alot is waiting to buy a dx10 card (8800 series) before Vista is out and some dx10 benchmarks has been released.

4. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Wow, analysts are such smart people!

5. heffeque

heffeque New Member

True for intelligent buyers. Non intelligent buyers that are nVidia fans will buy the 8800 just because it r0x. Non intelligent buyers that are ATi fans will buy the R600 just because it'll r0xxor. An intelligent buyer will wait and see wich one performs best and buy the one that suits his needs best.

6. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

From the tests we've seen so far, it looks like the 8800 is up with the top DX9 cards, set to replace the high end of the 7-series - the fact that it's also DX10 capable is just a bit of future-proofing at the moment, until DX10 proves itself in both performance and acceptance - at the moment, we really only have Microsoft's say-so on just what adavantages it does bring, and if they are going to be justified by the intial take-up of Vista.

Intially, DX10 support means not just Vista, but a NEW top of the range graphics card - is it going to be worth coding for, until there are at least upper midrange cards which support DX10. I guess some software houses will make a big show of how fantastic their latest game is with DX10, but it'll be a pretty small market if it ignores thoes with Vista but DX9 graphics, or those waiting for Vista to mature