Details on Sony's Online Service for PS3 Come to Light

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Vikingod, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

"Details are starting to come forth concerning the PlayStation 3's online service which will compete with Xbox Live. The PS3's basic free service will match up against Xbox Live Silver, but it goes far beyond just the “basics.”

The free service will allow for full community features including voice/video chat, messaging, matchmaking, ranking and service updates for games. Where Sony's basic service has a leg up on Xbox Live Silver is the ability for gamers to play multiplayer games online for free. A "Gold" membership is required for online multiplayer gaming on Xbox 360.

2. SuperVisor

SuperVisor New Member

That is very good news cause not everyone has enough funds to pay online services just to play multiplayer gaming for console. Atleast I didn't when I had xbox always wanted to see how it was cause i heard there is community of people playing.

3. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Good for Sony, they are finally doing something right. I think without free online multi there would truelly be no reason to buy games cross console games for it.

4. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

ya, this free multi player part is very good.

as it stands right now, it sounds like they have everything i would want in an online enviroment, and its free.

itll be interesting to see what shows up for their premium service.

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I don't understand why Consoles charge to go online you already have to pay for internet and then the game and they want more money?! Why can't the game servers just be hosted like PC games are or have players host the servers.

Props to Sony for doing this and I hope MS follows.

6. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

some one has to pay for those servers, and there not cheap. most of what ive seen for BF2 is about 5 bucks a month per slot, so a 64 man server is 320 a month.

it may be free to you, but its not free to the person paying the bills on it.

7. ericdrum

ericdrum New Member

I don't think what MS has taken years to perfect is going to come to pass in a few months for Sony. XBL will always be better than anything that Sony can develop in this space.

8. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

My bud runs a game server business and they are not that expensive. BF2 ranked servers are artificially expensive and even so thats 64 man. Consoles usually have 8 players maybe 16 tops. Obviously it can't be that expensive or Sony wouldn't be doing it for free.

9. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

The reason they charge is because the servers needed for online play are not free. PS2 pulled it off by having a very cheap way about it, like one server a game and all of them were in one building collectiong heat and dust (Sony rep told me) while Microsoft has like a seperate place for each game containing quite a few servers that are almost always monitered and can be worked on easily.

10. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Hmm well that surely won't continue with the PS3. Not many PS2 owners even have the online adapter.

11. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

It comes with the slim, and in fact. Everyone I knew who had a PS2 had an adapter, wethere they used it or not.