Detonator 5 soon?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Mark_Fox, May 14, 2002.

1. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

I was looking through MO forum when I saw a post about detonator 5. It was a quote that I traced back to Overclockers UK forum and then from there to Hexus.net website. If you remember , Hexus.net was the first site to publish Geforce4 pictures days before the official announcement of the card. This is what they say:

Detonator 5's out soon?

A balsy prediction or the worst kept secret in the industry? With Matrox and PowerVR both announcing products on the 13th, rumour has it that new Detonator drivers from NVIDIA may be forthcoming to offer the same kind of performance boost for GeForce 4 Ti's that we saw with Detonator 4 and the GeForce 3 and steal some thunder from the new announcements from Matrox and the rest.

Noticed slightly poor anisotropic filtering on the GeForce 4 and slightly underwhelming performance over what you think the card should have, given the spec?

Rumour has it that the GeForce 4 Ti has an unused texture unit going spare on the silicon which the new drivers will mysteriously enable. It's certainly a reason why aniso filtering performance isn't that hot on NV25 from what we can tell and it's explains the slight feeling that NVIDIA are keeping something from us, like they did with GeForce 3.

It makes sense to me at any rate. Look out for new drivers soon from NVIDIA, and in any case, they are running out of numbers for the current Det's! 29.xx is awfully close to a new 30.xx release!

Don't feel cheated either, it's not like your NV25 based card is exactly slow is it!

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Must.....not......S C R E A M ! ! ! !

Just as I'm finally starting to get a handle on my shiny new GF3 and the Detonator 4 series, feeling so smug that I have near the same performance as the GF4ti series leave it to someone to release something to make my hardware feel all stale again. :rolleyes:

Damn good find Mark! :)

3. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

Just a thought, if detonator 5 really exist, perhaps it will be launched round about the same time as ATi announce R250 ;)

4. EFA11

EFA11 New Member

heh that's about right too

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Shouldn't that be pretty soon? Or is everyone waiting for E3 on Monday.... ;)