DH Article: ATI "Stream Computing"

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 2, 2006.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

DH Article: ATI Stream Computing

Read the article here

Driver Heaven was recently in San Francisco for an event on ATI's Stream Computing Technology. There were many guest speakers including ATI head honcho Dave Orton.

"Dave Orton kicked things off with an overview of the whole concept, and he put forward quite a realistic outlook on what it can and can not do. Far from being the best thing for every task out there, Orton started out saying how it may or may not apply to your workload. If the problem you have will map to a GPU, you can see speedups from 10x to 40x, a massive increase. Doing the same math purely on a CPU would take a very expensive computer."

2. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

am goign to download the beta today, is there a DH folding team?

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Im not really sure there is a demand for it ...

4. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

was just wondering as was going to pledge my work here before i went elsewhere ;)

5. kelston

kelston Active Member

Wonder if this really is the way to go. After all, the most recent issue was the sheer power demand of video cards to the point of suggesting next gen cards would be externally housed. Not to mention the heat generation of a video card. Plus, are vpu/gpus designed to handle the load as often as Stream Computing would demand?

6. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

hey feel free to join ATI's team, we would love your help, and anyone else's.
    Team 51394
    come aboard

7. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

didn't get a chance to get it up and running last night but I will take up your offer :)

8. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

Very interesting, I was immediately thinking video encoding work, still takes forever even on an Opteron running at 2.5Ghz!!

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Is there an x64 variation of the driver going to be available?

I'm actually hopeing for more then just folding though very soon if possible.

BTW, does this take advantage of crossfire?

10. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Sorry I'm late to the party. :)

Anyway, the problem with stream computing is simply that it's uncomfortable to program. If ATI provided an API specifically for this, something which doesn't include all of Direct3D's or OpenGL's burden (both in semantics and CPU overhead), then it could make things simpler. DX10 will improve things, though, so it may not be worth for ATI to go for their own API yet.

Though I suspect that this does have something to do with AMD pushing towards a new definition that will allow CPUs to include such functionality without having to have the other 3D stuff that goes with it (texture sampling, ...).