DH Article: ATI's Crossfire Discussed

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, May 31, 2005.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Its been a long time coming but ATI have finally answered the call of Nvidia's SLI with the release of their dual card technology codenamed "Crossfire". Right now we dont have a suitable test rig to bring you figures or results but rest assured when samples are made available we will be bringing you the full rundown. For now Ill go over the information presented to me at a recent meeting and how you should expect Crossfire to improve your gaming experience. At the end of the article ill include an ATI Q&A session which will answer a good selection of questions and act as a reference.

Read here

[​IMG]

2. Mort_Cinder

Mort_Cinder I want some ATI lovin'

thanx for the article, very informative :)

3. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

good article - solution doesnt seem like the most elegant, but looks like it will work ok

one thing i am liking the sound (excuse pun) is the HD Audio on AMD - does this mean DDL encoding - is this the new soundstorm!!!

nana

4. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

cool! :)

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I can see that ATI and NVIDA will be neck and neck on this technology until a newer generation of cards will surpass this particuler approach, it can only get better, cant wait to see the benchmarkis.....

6. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Cant wait for the benchmarks, great article.

7. knuth

knuth Member

A real teaser Zardon.

Im wondering what intel chipsets have been tested to work with crossfire, it sounds like it could save one from having to purchase a new (ATI) motherboard. The extreme levels of anti-aliasing are what im really curious about, with all that rendering power it makes sense that you'd need something that extreme to use it all.

8. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Thanks for the article guys. This looks pretty exciting, especially if the performance is not driver dependent.

9. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

oh I do hope it works on nForce boards....that'd be funny as hell :lol:

10. zamac_man

zamac_man New Member

can't wait to see the benches

11. mike2h

mike2h New Member

yeh it would:D , but no way. different design.

12. bake15

bake15 New Member

Nice preview Allan, looks like im gonna be upgrading again(a lot sooner than i thought :drool: )

13. Drakon

Drakon New Member

Does that board have room for a sound card? It didn't seem so in those pictures...

14. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Finally I must say. It kind of makes me angry that the Intel mobo's will have an onboard video while the AMD's will not.. and bananaman, I believe the HD audio is the same as the ones that some Intel chipsets use, the Azalia codec. Which i believe does encode Dolby Digital.

15. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

Crossfire, you'll get caught up in the
    Crossfire
    (dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun)
    Crossfire...
    Crossfire......
    CROSSFIRE!!!!!
    *explosions*
    "Yeah!"

Anyone else thinking of the old board game right now?

16. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Love ATI, Love Nvidia. Dont love having a £350 AGP X800XT sitting here that will not be able to take advantage of this technology. I'd love to see a mainboard manufacturer bring out a hybrid board which would ease the already slow transition to PCI-E and allow us to combine the two technologies (agp and pci-e). Im sure there would be a massive market for this. Very much doubt that will happen though as when was the last time a major manufacturer gave something back to it's user base?
    Might seem fantasy but consider the recent board that supports both intel and amd processors.
    On a side note HOW MUCH HEAT WILL THIS GENERATE LOL

17. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Any word on multimonitor or widescreen compatibilty?

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I was wondering the same thing- Imagine FINALLY being able to have one main screen and one screen on each side like the Matrox card failed at (with any performance)

Imagine being able to play all your games (FPS, race sim, flight sim, etc) with 3 screens, all running fairly high resolution and AA and AF..

Also if that ever does become a reality, I think it would be great to run the main center screen at a higher resolution and different graphic settings than the two outer screens.

If you want to turn and shoot the guy you see on one of the outer screens, you just move him into the more detailed center monitor..

Kind of like the way our own vision works- peripheral vision is not nearly as detailed as the inner 30 degrees or so, so in a system like that, the outer screens could be made just to see whats going on around you (if you want it like that)..

Maybe they could use the main master-card to render the main screen, and the slave card to run the two outer screens, or something like that. It seems like it would be possible with all that horsepower under the hood.

Maybe I am just dreaming like Lelisevis who wants a mobo to support crossfire in AGP and PCI-e at the same time. But features like this would be really cool. So close, yet so far...

19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Fraid not!

20. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Wasn't quite thinking about games, per se (but the prospect of multimonitor gaming with actual performance is interesting, to say the least), but rather just regular old multimonitor and widescreen support that is lacking in SLI right now.