DH Article: Battlefield 2

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 26, 2005.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Chief gaming supermoderator and all round gaming guru Raymond "No_Style" Lim, has his latest review ready for your enjoyment, after his excellent review of San Andreas he has taken a look at the new multiplayer FPS shooter Battlefield 2.

"Let me start this review with this: “I disliked Digital Illusion CE (DICE)’s original Battlefield 1942 despite the reviews, the massive amount of players and all the successful modifications released for it.!” When Battlefield Vietnam came out, I did not even give a glance. Why did I not enjoy Battlefield 1942? I felt the game as whole was a sound idea, but individual portions of the game such as the infantry, ground vehicles and aircraft experiences were poorly developed. I also felt that there was a lack of team play in the Battlefield universe. At this point, you may be thinking that I will be giving this game an inadequate score. I will tell you now, that your assumptions bear no fruit. Battlefield 2 can potentially be the “ultimate” first person shooter multiplayer experience to date and I am here to tell you if it is or not."

read the article here

2. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member

That's a great read but all I can say is you are lucky that you had no issues with the game! I'm suffering from very bad mouse/keyboard lag and no matter what I do I don't seem able to fix it! Hopefully future patches etc. will fix this but the net is awash with people who have issues with the game some of who have high end systems! I agree though that the game is awesome to behold but my experience at least is spoiled by the bugs! Does anyone know how to alter the brightness/gamma as I can't find the option in the video settings?:hmm:

3. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

NIce read! It made me wanna buy this game, but i already ordered Guild Wars and i'll give that a go first before picking this one up. :)

4. heffeque

heffeque New Member

that game realy pushes my computer to the limits. It realy makes my Hard Disk work, probably because my Windows XP needs a clean formating but anyway, I'm not quite sure why it uses all that swap file instead of using all the RAM that's not being used. Supose it's my aging windows lagging. More that a year and a half without formating my HD and still kicking ars :p

5. bake15

bake15 New Member

good review and the score is about right :)

6. toddsmack2k

toddsmack2k It Never.....

Good review No Style.

7. jasonbourne

jasonbourne New Member

very nice review! well done.

8. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

I am having serious problems - cant play on any punkbuster enables MP game - locks up the whole comp.

silly thing is that non PB i am fine

damn game

nana

9. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Thanks for the kudos everyone. I'm balancing GW and BF2 at the moment, it's no easy task, but both games deserve your attention. :D

10. Fungole

Fungole New Member

Good lord, I have no Idea how this guy can run this game at these resolutions witouth stuterring. I have an amd athlon xp 2500+ @ 1986, a7n8x-e deluxe, radeon 9800 128 / cats 5.6 installed, corsair 1024 mb dual channel pc 3200, and i get horrible performance. I was really deceived, the game looks quite nice actually.

11. PoopyTheJ

PoopyTheJ New Member

very fun game, just loads of fun, great review!

12. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Nice!

This game is fun but 10X better with players that know what they are doing.
    The demo has been flooded with lamers and team killers... unless punish is on
    not much you can do.

I won't consider buying untill after its 1st offically patched. The demo was buggy
    enough to tell me to wait... Plus i'd like to see some community mods to help kick
    the lamers. I've never seen that much intentional team killing ... ever B4 BF2

13. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

I haven't been tk'd once, nor have I seen a deliberate kill. Must be the servers you play on.

14. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

all kinds and totally diffrent ones. What ever has 20 - 60 players and a ping less
    then 150 I play. With FF on it's a mess with FF off there are stull people finding
    ways to intationally kill you. Even people that bleed you to near death to try to get
    you to TK them so you get kicked on punish severs. People tying to vote kick you
    for no reason etc... It didn't help people like mygoat posting a massive list of ways
    to be lame in the title. But as I said thats the demo the full game could be quite diffrent.
    Then again I play alot too and most times there is no admin in the house to take care
    of them a would a real full version sever.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  15. Lakevren

Lakevren MedicalEntropy

Well, I saw some idiot... who actually TKed like 5 people. and not at once, like successively, and it did not look like mistake. He was in a fricking APC... with friendlies everywhere... and he shoots... not RUNS OVER, shoots 5 guys, including me. Then he says sorry. I was about to C4 his arse. (this is retail, btw... AND on a ranked server.) He didn't constantly TK, but he did near the end.

Anyways, this is one of the few games that might make me wanna get 2 gigs of ram. The thing is so damn ram hungry. Hopefully they fix it in a patch or something. I crashed to due to not having enough ram. Several times too.

But don't judge the people by playing the demo. That's the last thing you should do. Depending on what servers, there are much more competent people in retail. However, I did not say that there were more people who are competent. Just more competence from people. Don't mix the words :lol: :p

16. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Is that not one of the documented crash bugs they are going to fix in a patch, I didnt think it had to do with ram?

17. humonous

humonous New Member

I love this game so much, it looks gorgeous, and the way it flows is good.

That is until it crashes, which is does quite often for me, I hope they patch it soon and sort it out. These games should be tested more intensely IMO before they are released, sometimes I think game companies use the public for beta testing, which is at least something they cant do with consoles, pretty hard to patch a DVD.

18. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Dunno, just didn't lure me in... Not realistic enough for me, not that gorgeous to be honest and well, I've^just never liekd battlefield that much... Dunno, just doesn't capture me (must be the only one in the world)

19. Lakevren

Lakevren MedicalEntropy

It may, it may not. I don't know exactly. But when I had crashed, I saw my Cacheman XP report 3mb of mem free. Usually, it has around 50-100 mb of mem free. I just don't want the game taking up so much of my ram. If anything, i'd like it to be efficient like HL2 (HAH, don't we all? Heheh. The thing runs spectacular on low-end cards anyways, heh). But of course, not everyone designs the same way. It's been a problem with a lot of BF games. Slowness, stuttering, long arse freezing (not those "frozen, must reboot" freezes. Just long 30 second freezes) in the menu, and so on. But patches in both BF:V and BF1942 fixed that, so I'm hoping it will fix it here too.

Meh, some people like it, some don't. It just somewhat gives a needle under my skin when someone doesn't like the game simply due to very minor (my judgment of minor, of course. Could be very major to another) "mishaps", like controls. I didn't have problems with controls at all. Yeah, I know some people are complaining about pageup/down, end, home, del, numpad, and so on, but uh... well, try other controls maybe? I used to use the numpad, but one game (Jedi Outcast / Jedi Academy) had numpad problems. I switched to the WASD like most people use. Never gave me problems after that.

As for the graphics, first time I played it, I was impressed. After a while, the graphics look... Pretty good, not great like HL2, Farcry, or Doom3 (I dunno, I kinda don't like Doom 3 graphics). For those who played older BF games, some people can see the likeness of BF1942 or BF:V, like I can. And for those who play on medium/low settings, it looks exactly like BF:V or BF1942. Of course it does, it's on low :p .
    Also, I'm not used to playing FPS with massive loads of flora and intense shadows and lighting.

20. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Ya well minor things tick me off but if the game's good, I'll play it... This just didn't get into my groove :D DUnno, I like Joint Operations a bit better and it's not much more different but just has the "thing" for me... Well a bit more than bf2!