DH Blog: Losing an arm and a leg!

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by WhO_KnOwS, Mar 15, 2007.

1. WhO_KnOwS

WhO_KnOwS The Knows Mister

A new game comes out and you want to play it, so you spend a bucket-load of cash to meet the recommended computer specifications. Before you know it a few months pass and the story repeats itself. Now imagine doing this year after year for the rest of your life!

Read about how this trend looks when pushed to the extreme here

2. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

this time I have to say I can picture exactly where that entry was coming from, PC hardware is sorta like crack, it can quickly empty your pocketbook and you are always left wanting more

3. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I have just spent 5 grand in two months on hardware... It hurts my wallet :(

4. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

didnt even need to read all of that. even though I earn plenty to have a high end pc i can not be bothered any more, its such a waste of money.

a quick session of xbox360 is enough for me now.

5. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

I'm quite surprised at the number of people on this site who are upgrading all the time. Where do they get all that money? I want in!

I'd been on my current set-up for over 2 years before I felt the desire to upgrade . . . which I hope to do in the next few months, since it's over 2.5 years now :uhoh:

6. Soulja

Soulja Member

Well what you describe in your article is a process of technological development that is accepted and and natural for everyone. We all want to excell in something to do it better or to possess something that no one else has and as such to be admired. Well if you look it that way why would you have to play all the latest titles with all the latest technology? Some technology needs time before it gets accepted by the masses and you are only describing that small group of people that are technologicaly aware and those are in minority. The majority of users are less demanding and they use their computers for many years with the original configuration from the day they bought it with maybe some minor upgrades. At the end of the day ask yourself a question: If you had a chance, would you realy trade one of your kidneys for a pice of silicon for better enjoyment in some game?

7. WhO_KnOwS

WhO_KnOwS The Knows Mister

Because gaming is my hobby. Just like watching movies is somebody elses hobby. But you don't see that guy buying a new DVD player every 6 months so he can watch the latest movies. He might buy a better DVD player if the old one breaks, or now that blue-ray/HD-DVD players are coming out, but that's it.
    Nobody that I know who is into gaming has a system older than 12 months. Sure, they might still have parts of the system from the prehistoric era, but every single one of them has a 7x00/8x00 GeForce or a X1K Radeon. Why? Because they wanted to enjoy games like Oblivion or Company of Heroes when they came out. So yes, the majority doesn't have to put up with ridiculous prices, as they only update their system once every few years.
    But every semi-serious gamer is literally forced to keep buying new hardware to stay in the loop. Now that Vista came out every gamer who wants to experience DX10 gaming (and believe me, 50% or more do) will have to not only upgrade their gfx card, but quite possibly their processor (if they are not already running a dual core system) and they might have to buy some more RAM as well (not to mention the price of Vista itself).
    I was normaly exagerating in my blog, but if you scale it down somewhat you'll see that the truth is pretty close to what I wrote. You are right in saying that what I wrote doesn't apply to the majority, but when speaking about people who game primarily on their PC my argument is very valid. You might not be a gamer, but I sure as hell am. And so are many other DH readers. And we would sell *both* our kindneys if need be (just kidding of course)

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i know several people that are still "trying" to game on much much MUCH older hardware, some even as much as 5 years old using onboard video and the orginal Drivers and software that came with the machine, hell even SP2 isn't installed.

Sure they are getting maybe 5 FPS at most alot of the time, but they seem to enjoy the game and "headaches" i would expect.

While your discription at the end was interesting, i have to say "er", as the discription of the setup i use is pretty much precisely that.

2560x1600 30" monitor,
    2 video cards in crossfire
    recently got the intel core 2 dou (hey it's not quad core though ;) )
    and the digital Speakers :D
    4 brand new seagate 7200.10 hardrives in raid 0......

How am i managing this?

The fact that i couldn't even have dreamed of owning my current more then a year and a half ago, hell before i got my 4400+ dual core amd cpu, i was stuck medling with older hardware that was aging faster then i could imagine. Working at Burger King, no wonder i wasn't doing very well. When i got the x2 4400+, it was because i had been working full time on the farm, wages was several times better.

To sum it up, It all depends on your current employment status and wages, not to mention your priorities, PLUS it helps a HUGE amount to be operating a business that specifically deals with what i've got and sells it, thus i get to Test out what i get in before i sell it usually.

I don't complain that my car isn't souped up like others, or it's new, i don't complain that my current furniture in my house and appliances are totally substandard atm, all my rescources have gone somewhere else to further many several things. You be serprised how little i play games on this machine, let alone how little i watch dvds on it. Why the hell do i have quite close to the most powerful and fastest system setups? Everyone would like to walk into there car dealer (example) and SEE the mean machine that would be considered there flagship, EVEN if they are not likely to buy it ever. Call it a sales pitch as well, when i want to show something off, it always will draw a crowd if i can show it off the best it could ever be shown off.

Then they just buy the lower models.

ATI does it
    Nvidia Does it
    AMD does it

No one is really benchmarking all the lowend stuff and screaming about it all. It's all for the highend stuff, all the marketing and advertising is for that. And down the road, the high-midrange models will oventually trickle down.

I'd also say that it's all about tolerance. Can you tolerate playing your favorite games @ 5fps, 30fps, 60fps? Need it higher, well off course you'll need more juice to do it. Wheres the breaking point, where does my entertainment and leasure time conflict with practical and logical applications and hell even life nessities itself. All depends on those things.

9. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Pretty much I'm waiting but I know what I need to get the most for my money and from any games I buy.

This next paycheck I will prolly get a decent PSU and maybe the Opteron 165 for overclocking but after that I'm waiting.

I'll be waiting for the decently affordable 8900 (not top of the line) and I should be set for this next year or so without have to spend over 500 on upgrading my system.

Its all timing and patience. If you can wait through all the hype of the latest and greatest games and technology to find out what is actually worth your money then you won't be disappointed. I don't have to have the newest console, the best TV, the best rig, the best game, when they all first come out. Instead I'm goin to be smart with my money. I'll be able to see which technology prevails, which games are actually worth the money, and be able to build an affordable rig when I absolutely need to.

I understand the whole idea behind "if you have the money, spend it" deal but I'm not a hardware reviewer and its not my job to have the OMFG!!!best gaming rig ever@!!!@!@#!. I simply can't afford it and even if I could I would not throw down the money for it.

So when you go to buy a game or new hardware maybe you should think to yourself, "Hmm, can I wait 6 months for this to drop to an affordable price?"

The answer is yes if you can control spend crazyness that is only matched by a woman in a shopping mall.

Patience is a virtue, and in technology it will save you a hell of a lot of money.

10. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

but thats boring. your analogy of a woman in a shopping mall is quite funny tho cause you have actually ended up sounding like a woman justifying everything instead of living life!

I work hard, I blow money on hardware because I enjoy it. People enjoy blowing money on hookers, drugs, music, alcholol, cars, women. whatever.

True geeks who earn enough money spend it on new hardware because it gives a good feeling knowing you have the power to play or do everything that is just out - whether its a new game or a new high powered application.

Work hard, play hard, thats my motto. Each to their own, but I sure as hell wont save 300 bucks to get last gen hardware that is already struggling to handle the latest games. Its flushing money down the toilet and you end up spending half the money for a consistency crap experience year in year out. My mate is a tight wad and when im around at his house he sounds like my mother "oh dear I wouldnt spend that on xxx, id rather put this into a trust fund, go buy books" yawns........

Then he fires up a game and it looks like shit. If you arent going to do something right just don't bother doing it at all. Go do something else.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  11. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

There is no need for personal attacks.

My main point is there are better ways to live life without material self-indulgence that only lead to sedentary action or just an unlasting gratification. Like how bout reading a book, writing a book, exercising, going for a walk, spending time with friends, mountain climbing, visiting a national park, riding a bike, photography, traveling.

If those words are too big for you then let me simplify.

Splooging your money away because it makes you feel better right at that second is not only wasteful but dumb.

12. Soulja

Soulja Member

Well this is a tech orientated forum and i presume that all here read lots of reviews of new hardware and games that come out and therby create their vision on what would to get, what is the best configuration that you can afford so you can play that and that game at that and that settings.
    Some games new or old, can be enjoyed on computers that dont even mach half of an average setup here at DH, you just have to adjust the settings down.
    And i get the feeling that everyone or almoast everyone here wants to game at higher resolutions with every detail turned on and with a lot of antialiasing and other bells and whistles.
    And playing at lower details and at lower resolutions is not even considered as an option as if computer games where made to be played with highest detials otherwise you wouldnt enjoy it. Many people dont follow all the updates in the tech world and are just happy to play some games and they dont care what details they have, they just play for pure enjoyment. You know that warm and fuzzy feeling that you get when you really enjoy doing something.
    Well if you can afford a top of the notch computer and if your enjoyment is in playing games with highest possible settings and you are not neglecting other aspects of your life then computer gaming can be a really enjoyable hobbie.