DH Guides: Spyware Revision 3

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by Stuart_Davidson, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Frank "Dom" DeJesus has just published a new revision of the Driverheaven Spyware removal guide, you can check it out by clicking the link below.

"The following guide is not just about removing "spyware" and "adware", but a detailed prevention tutorial. The tools and programs used in this guide will block spyware from being installed on your computer. Although I can't guarantee following this guide will get every little bit of spyware off of your system, but if you use these tools with some common sense, you can become spyware and adware-free."

Full Guide

2. hasher

hasher if u got some ,pass it around

ok beside the feud i would like to point out one other program i use with those others is spy sweeper from webroot. it great it looks for 24000 types of diff kinds of spyware.

3. iplaycs

iplaycs New Member

Great guide! I've always had spyware protection, but reading these make me double check if I've missed anything. Very helpful! Thanks!

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

The basics of the guide may be the same, there are only very few ways to do the same thing with the best-rated programs out there

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I skimmed through it- looks good. Does it tell you how to block Flash only for certain sites automatically while letting flash work for all other sites? I use all those programs already, but I didn't see where you can do that- (for IE6) - Maybe it is something you have to do in the security settings inside IE6 if it's possible at all.

6. Dom

Dom New Member

There was no way to do that in the program.

7. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

Very nice guide. Can't wait to read the next revision.

hasher:

I haven't tried spy sweeper ......but I will look into it and see what it has to offer.

If anyone here on DH has any other software that they like to use or would like to have checked out for a possible inclussion in the next revision, contact any of the staff members and we will be sure to check it out. After all, the Guides section is for the DH communtiy and we will supply content based on the over all needs of this community.

8. Yard Waste

Yard Waste Lost In Space

Those are the big three programs that I use!!

I am clean !!!

An update on adaware would be nice since 6.0 is disconitnued and SE is now out!

9. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

we are working on an updated version.

10. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

I made an offer to Dom to work with him on the next version. It is up to him if he wants my input on it. It is 90% of my business and I think my input would be beneficial. My offer is still open if he wishes to PM me or email me. Lee(at)archercomputers.us

11. Yard Waste

Yard Waste Lost In Space

How about a FireFox guide??
    No problems at all blocking flash as well as choosing which one that I want to block with the adblock extension installed.

12. Xx#1BallerxX

Xx#1BallerxX Driver Heaven's MVP

That is a very good guide. It really helped me get rid of that spy-ware. :) :)

13. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Avoiding potential spyware in the first place is good, like any "free" software (screensavers, Weather thingy) that appears in the Falk Ad banner HERE!

Visit if you want to credit DH a click, but make damn sure your SCUM shields are fully engaged... nothing installs unprompted on my system, and it needs a damn good reason for me to ever say Yes to the prompt.

NB. The Weather whatsit goes stright to an install attempt if you click it, and that's WAY out of order.

Sorry, but I have to lay Falk clearly on the "black hat" side, though not quite as bad as Tribalfusion - there are good ads, and bad ads, and Falk seem to have more bad than good... I'd better make a point of clicking the (no doubt spyware tracking cookied) Google ad, as I've never had anything too verminous from them.

14. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld New Member

15. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i'll 2nd the ms prog. so far it works pretty good. be interesting to see how the final release is. unfortunately i heard they might charge for it:(

16. hasher

hasher if u got some ,pass it around

yeah the ms antispy was great before ms bought it it was know as giant worked great then and still works great they also look the same .i was using giant before ms bought them at least i still get updates.

17. TambourineMan

TambourineMan New Member

I also bought Giant Anti-spyware before Ms bought them. It was hihgly rated and works great. I heard that MS has decided NOT to charge for their version once the trial period is up this summer.

18. FearTheTerp

FearTheTerp New Member

Webroot Spysweeper, which you can get from www.download.com as a trial is by far the best antispyware problem I have ever used, ever. My friend's dad bought a copy of it and I installed it on my system and I've used the trial to fix many of my computer's friends.

MS antispyware, frankly, it's garbage. When Spysweeper and Ad-aware find 20 objects or so, MS antispyware finds NONE. I'm not sure whats the deal with microsoft and wildtanget and why the hell microsoft lowered the danger level, wildtangent is up there with the most annoying spywares, ever.

19. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i agree about spysweeper. costco had it for $25 so i jumped on it. one of the best software purchases i have made.

20. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Adaware
    Spybot S&D
    SpywareBlaster
    -----------
    AVG

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006