DH Interview with AMD's Jon Carvill regarding AMD takeover

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Jul 25, 2006.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read the full interview here

Yesterday the big news was that AMD bought ATI for $5.4 billion, and there have been many rumours and speculation regarding future development and changes with company practices. Last night I had a chance to speak with one of (ex) ATI's (now AMD's) most senior and respected staff members, Jon Carvill on the phone and I asked him some questions regarding the AMD takeover. Jon worked for a long time with ATI and for the last year or so has been working for AMD on various levels.

Driver Heaven: Is the long term strategy to operate as one company or two? For example, will gfx still continue to be designed in ATI's existing facilities and CPU's on AMD's or should we expect to see a merging of engineers/designers where everyone provides expertise on forthcoming products?

Jon Carvill: The merged company will operate as AMD once the transaction close. ATI will continue to manufacture its graphics processors with TSMC and UMC. AMD is very comfortable with a hybrid approach to manufacturing as evidenced by our recent success in ramping microprocessor production at Chartered Semiconductor. Certainly, we anticipate that this merger will present new and exciting ways for our engineers to collaborate in areas like mobile, commercial, digital media and emerging markets.

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

very interesting review there - sounds like people won't be punished for using nvidia gpu/chipsets on AMD systems, 'least not yet

3. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Well i think ATI/AMD want to make chipsets for the Intel platform, but the questing is more if Intel will let'em :)

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Nope. Not gonna happen. Like I said in the other thread, for ATI to continue making Intel chipsets would require technical knowledge on current and future CPUs, and there is no way in hell Intel would give that sort of info to ATI. Not so much that it'd be like giving your enemy the keys to the vault, but more on principal.

Then again... they are now the enemy, right?

5. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

the real question, in ym mind anyways, is where will newfound "competitors" [intel, nvidia, etc] draw the line between "decreasing clientelle" and "inmproving the competition's odds" when it comes to supplying SLI for AMD platforms or integrating CrossFire into intel platforms, etc.

on the bright side....$10 says ATi won't have launch volume issus anymore ;)

6. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit DH ***** hobo

I'm gonna just wait and see what happens, I think it was a bad idea. But i havent formed any solid opinions yet.

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I read the interview. It's an interesting read.

However, I'm still not sold on the idea of a CPU company owning a GPU company. Still, a lot remains to be seen as to what actually develops. It's easy to say things in a projectional sense, and more often difficult to actually realize the fulfillment of that projection.

8. HardwareHeaven

Id like to append the fact that in my haste in posting this I referred to Jon Carvill as working for ATI. Jon hasnt worked for ATI for a year or so now but I guess the fact I knew him there for so long ... it reflected on the wording of the thread title. Jon is a really good guy actually, i have a lot of respect for him and I appreciate him taking the time right now in his (hugely) busy schedule to talk to us.

9. daRk_heLmet

daRk_heLmet Keep firing, assholes!

After reading the 1st interview reply I fail to understand how they arent forcing AMD over Intel now. He never even answered it properly, which means he is skeptikal about the whole Intel chipset deal. Unfortunately Intel wont be allowing them to make it, and why should they? And sane company to protect its interests and stuff wont make the competitor make stuff for them. Its like the US asking NK for tech in nukes. Anyways, since my next platform will be an intel one, and since intel will kill crossfire, ATi just lost a customer (unless intel themselves make a crossfire chipset - which is also unlikely). I was looking foward to a R600 crossfire setup like next year around vista launch with Intels core2 or even their upcoming quad core. Not getting anymore. Nvidia, quad sli here I come :/

10. ronnn

ronnn New Member

I don't like the idea of less competition and the forming of mega companies. I assume to compete with intel, amd needs to grow. So on the bright side if a huge thing like intel can develop conroe, one assumes that amd/ati can make good gpus.

11. ChrisW

ChrisW New Member

Since Intel canceled their agreement with ATI, what is Intel going to do about their integrated graphics? I'm under the assumption that Intel's integrated graphics is licensed technology from ATI.

12. Tipstaff

Nope. Intels integrated video is done in house. What Intel had was a bunch of license going on with ATI for other products. One was to allow ATI to work on chipsets for Intel processors (you could do this without a license, but then you'd have no support from Intel), while another had Intel purchasing Xpress 200 chipsets for use on Intels D101GGC, and recently D102GGC2 boards. Btw, the D101GGC just so happens to be Intels highest volume selling motherboard in the entire history of the company (the fact that it was less than $75 US to buy had something to do with that).

13. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

So what can we expect in the future from this new company that makes this merger so useful or pleasing? I really don't see anything positive that might come out of this merger, if someone does, please state so.

14. daRk_heLmet

the oonly thing that comes out to be + is for the stockholders...thats what i just see.

ati looses all of its crossfire customers who want to get the new intels.
    :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

15. Tipstaff

- AMD gets back into the chipset market.

- ATIs AMD chipset will be "hopefully" better now that it's in their best interest to make it so.

- AMD gets access to design technolgies that would get them even further towards shrinking their chips.

- Since AMD would have their own chipset again this opens the door for them in a market that Intel has dominated for a long time: laptops. With ATIs help AMD would be able to refine their mobile processors in order to make them that much more viable as a portable processor. Top that off with AMD now being able to offer a full set of tools, that being both the chipset and the cpu, to laptop manufacturers rather than rely on someone elses chipsets makes this one of the biggest pluses for AMD to acquire ATI.

16. mike2h

mike2h New Member

hoping this means sli support for my 975 based mb.

17. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

This one sounds interesting. A year ago or so I wanted to buy AMD-based laptop, but usually they were shipped with SIS chipset with crappy integrated graphics. Not acceptable. If this is going to fix that, good.

The most important thing I'm interested in: how is ATI's attiude towards Linux and free software going to change with this? Will ATI's fglrx driver going to get more attention? And, the most important, are they going to release r300 specs?

18. HardwareHeaven

seems you arent the only one, ive seen this question posed on many forums over the net lately.

19. daRk_heLmet

20. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

no, it hasn't been revoked, but NOBODY will say when it's up for review either :bleh: