DH nVIdia Mobility Modder beta!

Discussion in 'Mobility Modder Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 12, 2008.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Cant get new drivers on your Nvidia Mobile Graphics Card?

Our Ati Mobility Modder has been an enthusiast favourite for years now, with over 10 million downloads it seems there are a lot of laptop users who don't want to wait on their manufacturer updating driver sets. Let's be honest, most of the major laptop makers are normally lagging many months behind the latest official driver sets from either nVidia or ATI.

With the success of our free ATI modding tool we felt it was a good idea to begin development of an automated tool for nVidia enthusiasts who like to game on the go. Newer drivers have bug fixes, performance enhancements as well as possibly making a hot new game playable on various platforms.

http://www.driverheaven.net/articles.php?articleid=123

2. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

excellent, works well, long overdue ! nice job.

3. Ryeeson

Ryeeson New Member

Hai Alex, any improvement on your card yet? no lagging while playing game?

4. LukeK

LukeK New Member

worked well on my 9600GT mobile chip. I was running 4 month old drivers which basically sucked and I tried to mod a set last week and its ran worse.

I got the latest desktop drivers from nvidia.com and modded them last night. Machine is running superb now. ive increased frame rates in a few games and some annoying bugs are gone :)

5. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

All works fine. This tool is an easy way to keep up to date. most of my mates have used it also in the last few days.

Top job !

6. humonous

humonous New Member

what a great tool. Just modded a set for my 8800 m, worked a treat. updated drivers, yay !

One thing ive noticed. you guys dont often get links from other tech sites to these things. Im guessing its jealousy. I dont know any other tech sites apart from guru3d that makes tools, does reviews (much better than guru's cause Hilbert cant write), and has kick ass forums!

7. RepsolRR

RepsolRR New Member

The 9700m GT isn't listed. I imagine this would be supported. Is it an error that it's not listed?

8. Ryeeson

Ryeeson New Member

I tried it last night but the driver said that no supported graphic card found. i wonder if i download it correctly from here.

I'm running on Vista (32 Bits)
    graphic card is nVidia 9600M GS 1Gb on my Asus M50Vm.

What is the driver i must download to get it working?

9. HardwareHeaven

If you have one, try it. If it doesnt work let us know. and give us the ID then we can add it for the next beta.

10. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

RepsolRR and Ryeeson, can you tell me what Notebook you have and where i could find an old driver? then i can check the device ids. maybe you can also post that ID here, like use GPU-Z to show the Device ID.

Ryeeson I checked and the 9600M GT ID from your notebook should be in it. Can you tell what driver you used?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  11. HardwareHeaven

guys we managed to get a hold of more ID's, the tool has been updated. so if you go back onto the page, and get the app again.

We added support for:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 3600M
    NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GS/GT
    NVIDIA NV31M
    NVIDIA NV31M Pro

If anyone can't get this app to work on their laptop please post in here and we can add support. There are so many varients we need your support to get them all. I think we have 98-99% already.

12. primape91913

primape91913 New Member

I used the program to install 177.89 on my computer and it did wonders. Boosted my FPS and made my games look that much prettier. The exact difference can be seen when I did a 3D Vantage run with the original OEM driver (101.34) and the 3D Vantage run with 177.89.

It was working pretty well, but as time went on I started noticing some stuff was off. First thing I noticed was that the little pop up from gmail notifier that tells me when I get a new message wasn't as smooth anymore. Furthermore, when I tried playing WoW the game crashed on me on two different occasions such that I had to do a hard restart. The game was also choppy even though it said my FPS was above 30.

So I rolled back the dirver. I don't know what informatoin you need from me, but here is a screen shot of GPU-Z

[​IMG]

13. HardwareHeaven

so, just to confirm. it boosted your fps and made games look better.

But WOW crashes? Did you install the driver clean, use any tools to clean the driver out beforehand or just install "over the top"? Have you Ntune installed to check temperatures and fan speeds?

You see this is something that is going to be hard to work out, with so many variances in systems and cards, there will be possibilities that specific official drivers just wont work well with some cards. What this tool basically lets you do is use any driver on any card ...... some of which might not always be a "perfect" match.

All I can suggest is you try modding a few drivers around the same time frame and experiment to see if you can get your very out of date driver updated to a reasonably modern one.

We aren't actually adding any hardcore system specific tweaks into the drivers so what you are running is basically what Nvidia are making.

14. macbiter

macbiter New Member

My brother has the same mobile card as you and we modded a few drivers to see which worked best. As Zardon said, this modder is cool as its not adding 3rd party tweaks which may affect how some chipsets work.

We found a slighter older set to work pretty well (177,7x cant remember the number offhand), but I want to try the new physX drivers on my bros system tomorrow.

I think he was playing WOW last night for a few hours, I didn't hear him crying about crashes, in fact I think he said "stuff looked better". Thats as technical as he gets.

You might want to install Ntune too, cause you can check card temperatures and how the fan is working. sometimes some laptop makers hard force 100% on and some drivers might not run at 100% all the time. might need to do that manually.

15. primape91913

primape91913 New Member

Yeah, that is correct. I didn't install it fresh. Just installed "over the top."

Going to install Ntune and try out different drivers. Will report back.

Thanks for the feedback macbiter and Zardon.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  16. primape91913

primape91913 New Member

I tried a lower driver 177.83 that a friend said worked just fine and I got the same results. Before I found out about this nifty program you guys made I use to use Laptop to Video, to get updated drivers. Unfortunately, it didn't work 100% (though never crashed) and the modest FPS and quality increase I got were not worth the bugs, so I would always revert back to the OEM driver.

I really want to make this work because the FPS and quality increase is just amazing. I will try a 177.7x as macbiter suggested.

Thanks again for making this program.

17. primape91913

primape91913 New Member

I went with the driver nVidia's website recommended, 175.19, and it doesn't crash anymore. It is still a little choppy though.

18. RepsolRR

RepsolRR New Member

I used the latest driver for Vista 64 off nvidia's site (175.19) and the mod tool for my 9700m GT. I noticed the vista performance tool was marked very low for graphics. I grabbed riva tuner and my core shader and memory clocks are at ridiculously low levels (like 100 mhz). This isn't looking good.

19. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

RepsolRR the new version is send to be uplaoded. That will have the clocks fixed. They stayed in the 2d mode.

20. HardwareHeaven

On some chipsets there was an issue with the cards not coming out of 2d clocks.

There is a new version we have tested to fix this, get it here

http://www.driverheaven.net/nvmodtool.php