DH Review: ATI HD 3870 X2

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Blacklash

Blacklash Che cazzo stai dicendo?

Those are performance percents not FPS. Unless I am misunderstanding something. I don't speak German :D

So to me it says from all the benches done @ 2560x with 4xAA|16xAF the Ultra gives you 97% of the performance of the HD 3870 X2 on average. When you move to 8xAA|16xAF @ 2560x it can only deliver 49.

I've heard it said before the nVidia cards pass ATi cards @ 4xAA and the ATi cards often "catch up" @ 8xAA.

@Zardon

I own an overclocked 8800GTX in my primary rig. I have also ordered a HD 3870 X2. I haven't sold the GTX and I've had it since they were released. If the HD 3870 X2 proves itself to me it will end up in my overclocked Q6600 G-0 rig. If not it will be moved to my spider platform comp. Of course if DX10.1 ever suddenly or unexpectedly goes into use I'd definitely move it back. :p

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

Okay, so I bought the EVGA 8800GT with intention of stepping up during February/March but am now tempted to return to ATI. So checking the spec on th 3870x2 it's PCIe 2.0. Would this mean I would take performance hit using the card on my DS4 mobo and is it better to run the card on a X38, X48 or Nvidia 7xx series mobo to get maximum performance?

It's great to have competition (from ATI) again and I can't wait for Nvidia to release the 9xxx series and multi GPU. Interesting to see what NVidia do with their 9xxx series pricing as the 3870x2 is priced around the same level as the 8800GTX.

A warm welcome to all you new members.

3. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i doubt that thing takes up full X16 1.1 bandwidth though.....

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

im also kinda tempted to retrurn my HIS card and get one of these X2s, seems a much better move for the money.

5. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

I have 2 Diamond HD3870s with DuOrbs sitting around :)

6. cozumel

It's left me terribly confused about which way to go with upgrade. But that's a good thing. ATI seem to have released a card at an excellent price level with gaming performance equal or higher than NVIdia but with better video capabilities. An all-round 'jack of-all-trades' that beats NVidia new product release date by maybe as much as two months. This could be an interesting few months of battle between ati and nvidia.

7. cozumel

:w00t:

8. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

can you send those my way? i wish to learn about how crossfire works :) please? :D

9. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

A warm welcome to all the new guys joining up. Hang around and make sure you enter the competition thread to win a 3870 X2 !

10. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Hi the settings used on our test are on the COD page, click the 1st screenshot. Also it was Vista 32bit.

I think the difference in performance is purely down to the level used.

11. HardwareHeaven

Incidentally the price in the UK is around the £300-£310 mark (we waited until stock was available in a few big places), which I think is great value for money.

12. Venatus

Venatus New Member

Got my e-mail that everything shipped this morning, should have some goodies up and running by this weekend, well depending on if I finish a couple other projects around the house first.

13. HardwareHeaven

post some pictures if you get a chance wouldn't mind seeing your system.

14. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Hey I was pondering where was the FSX with SP2??? If I remember correctly SP2 brings the DX10 support to FSX. :)

btw. Blazing Angels 2 looked really nice I might get that ;)

15. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

I agree it's a nice review, and was well worth reading for the discussion of the minimum frame rate.

I'm curious what you can get pairing two such cards in crossfire.

And now I'm feeling the pain of winning a mid range card. :) My 3870 now feels so old. :)

16. Kizo

Kizo HHs Valve fanatic

About the german site results,
    there is a rumour that I've seen, based on those results and some other, that 3xx0 cards have better performance with 8x AA, then with 4x on the same resolutiona and settings. With that in mind, HD3870 X2 should rock with 8x AA.
    I can't confirm it, of course. :p Damn those rumours and alegations! :D

17. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

come on guys, digg DH's article. hardocps is getting a lot of discussion on digg, and it sucks ass.

18. JuicyBrain

JuicyBrain New Member

I Dugg DH review, Hardocp review is thriving on controversy. If they want to do custom in game benchmarking then do it the same on all cards accross the board. (Not different settings for each card) They really went out of their way to show Nvidia in the best possible light. Which happens to be their sponsor.

I am not flaming anyone I have just noticed this trend with most major releases on Hardocp. They have a were so elite attitude that condesends upon anyone who like more information regarding their method or people who would like numbers to compliment it. "If you dont like it leave is a typical answer from Kyle". When a reviewer questions his results and or methods.

Hes found out that the more angry he can make people the more money he can make from click dollars. Pretty sweet deal eh ?

19. SSXeon

SSXeon ATi Freak!!

Great review! When the Crossfire X drivers come we should see alot of the left over issues resolved, still a sexy and fast card. 196w is amazing too!

20. JuicyBrain

JuicyBrain New Member

I wonder if it would be more performance to get 2 of the HIS turbo ICE Q 3870 or 1 3870x2. The overclock and high speed DDR 4 seems like it would really perform in crossfire.