DH Review: ATI X1950XTX

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 23, 2006.

1. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member

Ah ok, thanks. Great review BTW.:)

2. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

with regard to min/max/avg FPS, anything above 25fps minimum provides completely smooth gameplay at all times. Having 30+ fps minimum allows you a little headroom.

I have to dis-agree with Judas on the game speeding up and slowing down though. That just doesnt happen in my experience. Games stutter if they fall below 25 and dont if they stay above it.

Some high paced game engines where split second reactions matter (Shooters) can benefit from higher fps though.

What review results can tell you is

a) will the game be playable now and at what settings.
    b) which card is overall faster and should provide more futureproofing.

3. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Another good review, thanks guys. It's crazy fast, but for some reason, I thought it would be faster. The new cooler looks to be sweet.

4. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Veridian3, the frame rate being perceived by our eyes is like watching a film in a movie theatre - 24 frames per second looks fluid - that's what I would have thought. And if the game appears to stutter or such, frame rate must (of course...) be below 24fps, and for a perceptible period.

I can also understand what Judas is saying about perceiving the game to slow down and then speed up - the slowing down would indicate that the minimum frame rate has fallen below 24 or so frames per second for a moment during an intense portion of the game, then becoming fluid again as frame rate increases above 24 frames per second.

Sounds like you guys actually agree...

Frankly, I was really wondering if, for these two cards being reviewed, you had a "hands on feeling" for the gameplay differences, if any, between the two cards. It sounds like what you're saying is that when framerates stayed above 30 (for headroom's sake...) that there was no difference in "feel".

5. Stuart_Davidson

Yes, for example you couldnt sit down beside a X1900XT and a X1950XTX and tell which was which.

6. Guyver2K5

Guyver2K5 Don't make me hungry.

Awsome Review and Awsome Card!:drool:

7. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

very nice review guys :)

I too was kinda expecting something "peppier"...but I was also expecting something more expensive...seems the perfect product for those with an 1800 or less...those with 1900s need not apply though.

I was expecting more along the lines of the GX2 for ATi though....might just eb me though....but I was expecting ridiculous numbers and about $5-600

8. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

So all this is, is a revamped x1900xt? They replaced the cooler and added new memory that from what i've seen makes little to no difference in performance... disapointing to say the least. What the hell are they thinking? BTW, congrats on the review, very well writen and informative. :)

9. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

Nice review guys, looks like I'll be waiting this round out, I just picked up an x1800xt at a bargain price so I'm gonna wait for the DX10 cards and see what the next gen brings

10. emmi

emmi Driverheaven Mirror Provider

Yet another overclocked product from ATi. *sigh*

11. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Lovely. I think I'm a buy one. My mouth waters just reading about it....but I have to wait must wait for the next generation great things to come...must wait.....must wait.....must wait. :sigh:

12. azrael13302473

azrael13302473 New Member

So im not sure if I read this correctly but, if say I have an x1900xtx already, can I pair it up with a crossfire edition x1950 ?

13. Stuart_Davidson

As it works with a X1900 master and a X1950 slave there is no reason why it shouldnt work the other way round. I'll take a look at that in the crossfire review to be sure.

14. ronnn

ronnn New Member

Nice review! Very nice card, improved cooler and does not use more power. Likely will see some driver improvements to take advantage of the faster memory. Only card to buy on the high end in my opinion. Runs quiet with superior iq and xfire seems to be working much better. G80 best come quick or nv will soon be for sale. [​IMG]

15. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

A very good and thorough review! Good cooler, a small GPU frequency bump with some more OC headroom and kick-ass memory make this a nice improvement over 1900XTX (at least, not smaller than what I expected from a card with the same chip and product number increased by 50). If I had a, say, 1900XT, I'd never be tempted, but from my 9800Pro point of view, :drool: !

16. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Something weird...

Minimum framerate--
    --------------2048 x 1536 4AA 16AF------1600 x 1200 4AA 16AF
    7950gx2------------26-------------------------35
    7900gtx------------25-------------------------23
    x1900xt------------21-------------------------23
    x1950xtx-----------21-------------------------24

Strange the 7900gtx got higher minimum frames at the much higher resolution.. even though it is only a couple FPS.

edit..
    Reading on...

Just an idea, I have played the GTR2 demo extensively.. a really good test of any video card would be to start a race at the back of the pack with 15 cars (or more to really tax a fast system when final game comes out, limited to 15 AI in demo), all detail on full- maxed out in GFX settings in-game, and then set the race for night time, in heavy rain. Selecting in-car view of course.

It will bring almost any system to it's knees at higher resolutions. It would be a really nice test for minimum framerate especially.

Maybe for a future benchmark or something.. you'll see what I mean if you try it. It looks stunning in action. I see the ATI cards are doing really well with that game too.

-heres a screen of what it looks like when GTR2 demo is at it's most demanding-

My 7900GTX was OC'd to about 675/850 at the time, and it was only at 1280 x 960, 4xAA, and I think 8xAF (maybe 16AF), and the little 15 in the upper right is the framerate via fraps- edit- nope it wasn't- it was using the "Ctrl+F" to display FPS in game.. . Also I have all optimizations off in NV control panel- and using supersampling AA, forced trilinear, etc..

Of course the framerate improves when the field spreads out, but it's still a very demanding game at night in the rain with cars shooting out smoke and mist at night, adding to that the reflections on the track. The physics calculations taxes the CPU quite a bit too.

Another hint about benching GTR2 demo- enabling the MOTEC display with basically cut framerate in half.. That might be a bug, it might not be.
    I think the default button for the MOTEC toggle is "m".. Without it you lose the in-car dash and MOTEC readout.. The overlay info still works I think.

[​IMG]

edit- to a too long post..

After reading the review, and owning a 7900GTX that OC's quite well, all things considered if I were buying a new card I would get the X1950XTX over the 7900GTX if I didn't already have one.

I have seen the difference in IQ first hand between ATI and NV- in some games it is hard to spot the differences, in other games ATI is just head and shoulders above NV, even on max IQ settings for both. For someone buying their last high end DX9 video card, it would be a nice one.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  17. merlinxi

merlinxi The Paranoid Cook

I have a serious question, how is it that the GT7900 is getting a better framerate then the Geforce 7950GTX2?? Is that a driver issue?

And of course always a very detailed review by the way :D

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

My guess is because the 7900GTX has much higher memory bandwidth than the GTX2 ... When memory bandwidth of the video card is the limiting factor in FPS, the 7900GTX, especially and OC'd one, will be faster.

19. merlinxi

Hmm. Well i hope drivers mange it better

20. merlinxi

I am just stunned that a far superior card then the other one would have slower FPS when the bandwidth of the GPU is expanded because it's duel.