DH Review: Dell 2405fpw 24" TFT monitor

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Kombatant, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Kombatant

Kombatant Active Member

In the past one and a half year, we have seen a radical departure from the “tried and tested” CRT screens, with more and more people considering a TFT monitor instead for their desktop PCs. The advantages are immediately obvious, with TFTs requiring less desktop real-estate, which in many cases is a deciding factor. It is also very nice not to have a bulky monitor that emits heat in front of your eyes all the time, plus TFT screens do tend to look cooler compared to traditional CRTs. So with prices going down all the time, these monitors have become very attractive for many categories of users.

[​IMG]

Read it here.

2. WxChaser

WxChaser Super Moderator

Nice job and well written review on an excellent screen. I've been looking at them quite a while myself. Good work! :)

3. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

I only have the FPW2005 and I just love it, I can only imagine what the extra few inches ( and Neon no comments please ) of viewing pleasure is like. Good job on the review:)

4. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Nice Review, I've just picked up the Dell 2001FP. Quality monitor, I didn't like the idea of TFT's after hearing about dead pixels, ghosting in games and of course the prices, but i picked this beauty up off eBay for like half the RRP. and it even arrived! which I was half expecting it not too lol.

Keep up the good work (y)

5. Drakon

Drakon New Member

Looks like a nice monitor, but i surely don't have that kind of money :)

6. Radog

Radog New Member

I have one runnin with a 7800GTX @1920X1200 . Battlefield 2 and Half Life 2 look just fantastic. The input features are awesome. i just take the picture card right from camera and right to the card slot on monitor to view. Gaming has never been more realistic to me. and have had no problems with dead pixels. Just an awesome monitor for playin high end games or watchin a DVD movie. I use DirectDVD 6 HD from orionstudios to view my movie DVD's. Highly Recommend....thx Roger

7. studbagel9

studbagel9 Rolling the Hard Six

We got one of these monitors in at work, and it's hard to really grasp how big the monitor actually is until you have it sitting in front of you. If I had that kind of cash to spend on a monitor, I'd definitely get one of those.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Nice review, Kombatant. Wish I could afford one.

One question: does anyone know who makes the panel for this monitor? I remember the 2005FPW has the same one that Apple is using for their 20" Cinema Display montior. From the specs there is no doubt that this isn't the same panel that Apple is using for their 23" Cinema Display monitor.

BTW: I read an article in PC Magazine which said that Dell miss quoted their contrast ratio specs. Dell claims a 1000:1 ratio, but the test they ran showed it to be more like 650:1. Everything else was to spec though, and they gave it a great review too. Did you notice the same?

9. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Well I personally dont have anyway to accurately measure this, however I have used the monitor side by side with a Samsung SM-243T 24" which is rated at 500:1 and the differences are very noticeable. Which PC magazine did you see a rating 650:1 ? I remember reading a technical test showing in excess of 900:1, ill have to try and find it.

10. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Me too I read over 900 but does it matter... It's huge! :D

11. wilflare

wilflare New Member

anyone know if it is an 8bit or 6bit panel?

nice screen and nice review. xD

12. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Wow way out of my range $915 at cheapest here in the US, but still Drool
    The prices need to come down alot as soon as you leave 19" in CRT or
    LCD the prices begain leaping

Bhwhahaha!!! Oh Boy, the things I could say with a comment like that.
    But not approprate for this forum area :D

13. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Great review of an amazing lcd guys. And if anyone is interested in one wait until Dell puts them on sale so you can throw some coupons at it. I got mine down to $699 with overnight shipping;)

14. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Great review and I love the fact that this new 2405 has Component input, should be great playing X-Box 360 or PS3 games with it (I dont wanna risk my PDP)

15. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

damn....I was looking at the new Gateway 21" HD...but now I want this :(

16. klevo

klevo 2 l33t

you know where to send one, if you don`t know what to do with it :)

17. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Wonder how many of the DH members have one of these.

18. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I hate my 17"... Zardon, ever got a big screen to review, I'm here :D

:lol: I worked at nestlé this summer and saw EVERY dell screen in existence. Must say, they got top quality at low prices. Simple, elegant, great performance, etc. You name it, Dell is good for screens. PCs are another thing

19. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

I bought my 2005FPW with a 35% off coupon. I paid about 4 bucks for the coupon on eBay. Do a search there for the 2405FPW, the prices are 300 to 400 dollars cheaper then Dell's site. The problems I had was the first monitor I received had whole corners of the montior was dead pixels. The second one I got the buttons were jammed in and hard to push. So, I'm on my third one. I guess third time is a charm. I don't regret buy one at all, just that I had to deal with Dell's tech support and there really isn't a special place to go or some to talk to if you do have problems. It is the best one I've ever owned.

Tipstaff: To answer your question, I've heard that these monitors are manufactured by LG.

20. Kombatant

Kombatant Active Member

As I said in my review, I actually own (=paid for) this one, so trust me, I definitely know what to do with it [​IMG]