DH Review: Dell 2407 Monitor

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Feb 2, 2007.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Review Here

Not much point in having one of the latest and greatest graphics cards if you are still using a 14inch CRT circa 1997.

24inch monitors are gaining popularity within the enthusiast gaming community so with that in mind we take a look at Dell's 2407 screen, the follow up to the 2405 which we also reviewed last year. A competitively priced screen with a wide array of inputs. But does it offer high image quality as well?

2. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Eh that price:confused:

It's available just about everywhere else for £550, try overclockers etc.

Anyway this is the monitor im saving my pennies for or rather was, this review has cleared it up for me. Im not going to pay that sort of money for a monitor with banding issues. It's mentioned a few times in the review as though the worry was always in the reviewers mind. A quick google search has shown a lot of people are disappointed with it. I may instead just go for the smaller 20 inch model which apparently doesn't suffer with banding after 2 or 3 screen revisions that is unless someone can recommend something else in the 200-300 range?

3. HardwareHeaven

After seeing the thread on DH about overclockers in the retail discussion section im not sure id recommend anyone to get a monitor there. Actually its £565 on dell at the minute. seems pretty good value.

As for the banding, i could notice it a little on the 2405 I had, but its not really a major thing, so I agree with Peter on his comments.

Anyone else who has a 2405-2407 notice banding?

4. WhO_KnOwS

WhO_KnOwS The Knows Mister

Keep in mind two things here. The first is that I noticed the banding because I was specifically looking for it (due to the same google search you did) and the second is that the newer revisions (A01 and higher) have almost no banding visible to the naked eye, especially in day to day operations. The tests I ran to see how much banding is present are made specifically for this purpose, so even if some banding was present there that doesn't mean that you'll notice it otherwise.
    So unless you work with photoshop (or something similar) every day and do stuff that is extremely color sensitive the banding won't bother you, because you won't even notice it.

Lelisevis likes this.
  5. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Oh right thanks for clearing that up. Overclockers version is A03 guaranteed. I might have to take another look at this though it would only be fair if you contributed the extra £200 LOL.

Very nice review by the way. Thankyou.

Edit: Oh and Zardon to clear up your worries about overclockers (co-incidently i've never had an issue with them and ive ordered a fair amount of stuff) this is taken directly from the website:

Warranty : 4 year next business day exchange supplied by Manufacturer (Call Dell on 0870 9080800 and have the work number from the original packaging handy)

6. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

It's a great monitor, i was seconds from getting one, but as I couldn't get any guarantees it would be a rev a03, i canceled it.

7. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

I have the same revision that was reviewed and I don't notice any banding. This monitor is a good buy considering all the size and all the connections it has. I haven't really been playing a whole lot of computer games lately but the games I have played looked great.

8. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

:p the introduction button on the DHTML menu jumps to the intro for the sli8800 review

good review though....couldn't find what software suite you tested the monitor with...is that dell's own stuff, or a benchie program?

9. HardwareHeaven

10. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

ah thanks...

and page 1, 2, and conclusion all work..but clicking where it actually says introduction [the big button] takes me to he slir eview...not an issue..i just found it odd

thanks for the info on the software tho....i liked the screens and tests, and guess I just missed the name :uhoh:

EDIT: boo...i'm not paying $$ to test a monitor I already bought just for fun :lol:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  11. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Does this monitor have built-in hardware support for Aspect Ratio scaling and such, so that you can set it within the firmware of the monitor and have it handle the display accordingly?

12. WhO_KnOwS

Yes, you can tell the monitor how it should scale the signal it recieves. I can stretch it, maintain the ratio or keep it at it's original size. There are even two pictures demonstrating this in the article.

13. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Thanks.

I went through the article and it seems there are two pics, but I cannot read them, as they are really blurry. I do wish they were re-taken and re-posted so they were clear and readable. Perhaps they will do that?

14. WhO_KnOwS

It's all on page 2 under Widescreen gaming

15. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

It seems I just cannot read the info in those screen shots. They are quite blurred and I am not at all able to make out what they say.

I do wish they would take new shots - perhaps from a Tripod with better focus on the lens so they were readable.

Regardless though, now I'm going to try to find out if the Dell 2007FP shares that same functionality, cause if it does, that might be a good option for ATI card users, since the ATI drivers do not properly handle 1:1 and Aspect Ratio Scaling. I'll have to research image quality on that series too - I keep hearing about banding and ghosting on the Dell LCD's.

Thanks for point the specific page out to me. I appreciate it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  16. WhO_KnOwS

Those two shots are of the game Half Life 2: Episode 1. They represent the two scaling options. As you can see in one shot the picture is only displayed in the middle of the screen - that's the keep original resolution option. The other shots has black bars at the sides - that's the keep aspect ratio option. Hope it helps.

17. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Yeah - I just can't read the dialogs on screen is all, indicating what options you can set. It's all blurry.

18. WhO_KnOwS

AAAAH! You wanted to see the interface options! Here you go:
    [​IMG]

19. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Is that the screen where you set the aspect ratio and scaling options?

20. WhO_KnOwS

Indeed it is. As you can see the 2nd line has 3 options:
    1:1 - keeps the original size (so a 1024x768 game will only fill a small portion in the middle of the screen)
    4:3 - keeps the non-wide screen ratio (but scales the game, so a 1024x768 game would keep it's ratio, but be stretched to the full height of the screen)
    fill - stretches and fills the screen (fills the screen, so the aspect ratio of 4:3 resolutions gets distorted. Wide screen resolutions only get upsized)

Obviously wide-screen apps that run at a lower resolution won't enable you to pick the middle option.

P.S. In the screenshot the options are grayed out because I was at my login screen which runs at 1920x1200, so no changes were possible.