DH Review: Low end GFX shootout

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Jul 6, 2004.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Not everyone has the finances to be able to purchase high end graphics hardware and even those who do sometimes run an inexpensive second system in another room for their children. The hardware ill be looking at today is classed as the "bargain basement" of GFX hardware and features two Nvidia cards from Aopen and one from HIS based on ATI technology. Im going to be running all three cards through their paces in a variety of yesterdays and todays games and ill even try a little Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on some titles to see how they hold up.

read here

2. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Very good review as always Zardon, that 9550 sure impressed me, specially the price tag.

3. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

My thoughts exactly, for $60-70 that will be hard to beat for a second rig or a test card

4. HardwareHeaven

the 2d IQ is great also in windows, 400mhz DAC.

5. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

what has surprised me is some of the frame rates in the games tested the 5200 were a little better than the 5500.were i'd of thought the 5500 were just a better card.

6. HardwareHeaven

the 5500 has a slightly faster core, but the 5200 has double the memory.

7. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

so it does.. that explains the difference.did not notice the memory difference.

8. hohum

hohum New Member

Interesting review - on the subject of the 9550 Zardon, do you think the 128-bit version would be better than an old GF3? I wouldn't expect it to be much faster if at all... just that the poor IQ on my GF3 is making me consider replacing it, and I don't have a great deal of money to spend on a new card :)

9. Helios_D

Helios_D Banned

Nice review. It's a refreshing change from reading GPU reviews on just the high-end.

Lesson of the article: If you're a true gamer who wants fast FPS and eye-candy, never settle for the low-end GPUs!! :D

10. HardwareHeaven

I can try and get a hold of a 128 bit version, then give it a testing. the 9550 is a good little board especially for the money and the IQ in windows is as good as my X800XT, havent seen better. Look at it this way even if the board doesnt game quite to the levels you expected (and you have a fair idea by my review what you are buying into) its not like you are throwing alot of money away, im sure you will be able to pick these up for under 60 euros in a little while on some of the massive online stores.

11. HardwareHeaven

I felt it was important, a few kids had emailed me weeks ago asking about the best board for under 80 euros, I realised we hadnt even reviewed any of these cards. Sometimes we forget there are alot of people out there who dont have alot of money to burn on a GFX board.

12. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Nice review Z. Those flash charts look better and better with every review
    Though I would not play games on any of those cards; I'm so spoiled lol

13. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

I would. :)

So does the 9550 compare with the 9500? Naming suggests it could be better. But does that mean the 9600 XT is better than the 9550? And by how much? ...I won't even bother getting into how the 9500 is sometimes superior to the 9600 XT..

And I do agree with others and their comments about "realistic" and "down to Earth" graphic cards :)

14. knyghtryda

knyghtryda New Member

Re: I would. :)

I don't believe anything can compare to the original 9500 or 9500 pro. Those cards absolutely rocked for the price, and could OC to the stratosphere. From the specs, I'd say the 9550 is slower than the 9500 pro, but not sure about an unmodded 9500. Modded on the other hand, 9500 sweeps it easy. And yeah, your definitely right, the 9600 series has been a step back for ATI. The 9500 was just too good for the mid-range market :) I still love my 9500p cuz it can do 415/340 with just a VGA Silencer and a vmod.

15. Dividend

Dividend the Lurker

Geez, those cards are in the bargain basement? Maybe it's time to upgrade my trusty ol' Radeon 7500. I remember when I got that card to replace my Rage Pro Turbo that I thought I'd seen the end of 640x480 gaming... only to have UT 2004 put me back there again.

:sigh:

16. HardwareHeaven

Re: I would. :)

its not in the same league as the 9500 but then again the 9500 never sold for 60 euros. Its basically an underclocked 9600 board.......

17. nighteyes

nighteyes New Member

I have one question. I saw that this test was performed on a p4 3,2 Ghz with one gig corsair, etc. This is really a high end setup. Is it posible for you to do the same thing on a low end setup? Because the person who is buying one of these three cards isn't likely to have something over 2 ghz or a amd 1800-2400 setup with 512 ram max.

18. HardwareHeaven

unfortunately I only have a few AGP test setups and we have to make both of those high end to cover the top end video cards so we arent CPU limiting.

You can safely deduct some FPS for a lower end system but it wouldnt be significant - those low end video cards arent really stressing even a 2600XP+

19. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Re: Re: I would. :)

Aiyah... The naming is confusing :(

20. blast

blast New Member

Those are the coolest benchmark charts I've ever seen.:cool: