DH Review: Radeon HD2900XT (Asus and Sapphire)

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, May 14, 2007.

1. kulmegil

kulmegil New Member

I'm looking at this review... and although ATI doesn't look winner it's not that bad. The differances aren't that big and there are a few points where ati is ahead :) Clearly better pricing and taking some time to improve might help (personally I don't really see the reason to rush shopping).

Anyway since I lost my entire beatiful rig (ecxept for monitor, keyboard and such - got it stolen damn it) I had a silent hope for a card competition – hope the review won't scare ATI away from dropping some card from time to time ;)

2. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

lmao

I'm an ATI fanboy but geez I know how to recognize performance numbers, price and power consumption. I might switch to Nvidia based solely upon the posts of other ATI fans. Face it people ATI fucked up.

3. mike2h

mike2h New Member

thx for great review & good work guys!
    anybody that buys an rx600 before die shrink is an idiot imo. that should clear up some issues plus give them a little time t odo another 1900 'fix'.
    unless they just screwed the pooch i would not hold my breath on the wonder drivers saving the day. taking the delay into account they have had more than enough time t ocome out with a 'good' set of drivers.
    i beleive ati has something else coming down the pipe, as this rollout is going to do some harm to the companies bottom line. they nedded a gpu that beat nv silly & be in similar price range to justify yet another delayed release. so far that aint happening. wich is why i think this release is a stepping stone to their 'real' release. that or ati/amd is turning into an 'also ran' company. wich is something i definetly dont want to see again.

4. X1800XTTOP

X1800XTTOP New Member

Well i wouldnt go as far as calling people idiots. Some (few, like me) are without any gpu at all and waiting 2 months (or whatever) is not an option.

Besides, the HD2900XT shows that in some places it actually even outperforms an 8800GTX (e.g. the dx10 tests in call of juarez, and oblivion). And, at least in sweden, the price is after all almost below the GTS640mb model.

Im not saying the HD2900 is without problems, its just that i dont think its 'idiotic' as such to buy this card, as i do believe drivers will yeild big performance increases. I bought my X1800 as soon as possible - with 2-3 drivers released i got 3-40% increases in all games and about 600points (from 4400 to 5100). Eg. the X1800 went from trying to beat the 7800GTX256 to actually beat the 7800GTX512 (as seen in one driverheaven review).

And the x1800 was late aswell, so there is still a chance that the hd2900 might end up close to an GTX and at this price, that is great non-the-less. Of course this is just speculating, but im saying that it isnt possible, its happend before. And i doubt ATi will leave the HD2900XT perform less than a X1950XTX.

5. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

I for one won't run out picking one up thats for sure.

6. Sonata

Sonata New Member

Sounds like something is up with the drivers. Image quality should be superior, but I still wouldn't buy a HD2900 due to noise and power consumption (a die shrink and a different cooler might fix this). At least they ATI/AMD have released a new vid card, all that remains now is to hopefully improve upon it. I would have liked to see an actual rating from DriverHeaven for this card, even if it was something like negative infinity.

7. caqde

caqde Active Member

Well with AMD owning ATI I hope future ATI cards will implement some of their power saving features and be more power efficient while still being fast. Think HD2950XT with seperate power plains (cool and quiet barcelona style) + 65nm :)

8. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Active Member

I'm aiming more for the XL or Pro model!!:D

9. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

you know, this card...on paper....looks like it will be able to top everything around if the drivers were just designed specifically for that card. i might actually get one if someone like Gigabyte stick some fancy silent cooler on it.......

that is....if i build anytime soon. but i will mostlikely builld at Christmas time.

10. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Yep, lets hope Q3 has a light at the end of the 9month waiting road.......:hmm: *cough R650*

EDIT: Im really at a loss for a video card atm...

Do I continue to play the ATI waiting game in hopes that Q3 brings something that brings Nvidia to its knees as well as outperforms the X2900XT by a large margin? Granted thats what everyone said, myself included about the R600 that it was going to be the card to have.....Or I could buy a 8800GTX, since the only real games out for now are DX9 titles.....And the fact that I will probably have to upgrade in a year or so with new DX10 titles surpassing the capabilities of the R600/G80.....Is anyone else in this same predicament?

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  11. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

You don't see the truth!!

Nvidiaheaven!!! Nvidiaheaven!!!

12. |2A|N

|2A|N SE7EN57

The extra power consumption is enough to turn me off the card without seing any benchmarks, sorry but i will stick with my MSI 8600GTS OC it does just fine for me in all my games.

13. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Wow, Nvidia is STOMPING ATI/AMD (whatever they are)... Looks like My next card will be the next Nvidia card.

14. me972

me972 Active Member

I second the OUCH!! sounds so sad... but I hope AMD manages to get back on the hores so the prices go down for all of us.. cause Nvidia likes high prices when shes up there all alone..

and If this goes on.. I might have to buy my new rig with Nvidia!!!! :tears:

15. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Quick comment on DX10 benchmarks...

COJ/lost planet are being pushed out by ATI/Nvidia. One currently favours one company... the other favours the other company... amazingly each favours the company who is "promoting" it.

This isnt a design issue on which card is better. In the case of these 2 "demos" its a PR stunt on both sides where they know there are issues to be resolved by each driver team.

16. JohnDoe47

JohnDoe47 New Member

yeh alrite brain surgeon, find me a quote somewhere where i called you stupid? hmm...no didn't think so. talk about write up a story that nobody is going to read. How many books have you made so far geek? :bleh:

17. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Guys, do you think we could keep this on track please, a few of these posts are more personal bickering rather than discussing the product.

Has anyone ordered the card yet? id love to hear some personal views from our members experience with the hardware.

18. X1800XTTOP

X1800XTTOP New Member

Ive ordered mine, and hopefully ill get it tomorrow or something. It ended up cheaper than i thought, so i am basiclygetting this card for "free" (still have to pay a little myself) and that for breaking my first card.

I do hope that someone releases some quiet cooling for this card because i think i´ll be needing that. My TOP was dead silent, in 2d and 3d (the fan was made to run 100% in both 2d and 3d so..). And judging by the review here, and on many other places - this thing is LOUD.

Anyone know if any thirdparty cooling will be released anytime soon? I havent heard anything but Sapphire releasing a TOXIC (watercooling) version of the card - but i want to stick to aircooling.

Hopefully ill be able to post some impressions here pretty soon.

19. GeneralClaymore

GeneralClaymore Active Member

Give it time, they need to work on there drivers for the card. oncve they get the drivers right it should run better then what it is now.

just give it a month or 2 for the drivers to have the problems iron out.

20. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i could care less about what a card gets in 3dmark... However, it's worth noting that 3Dmark probably (well recently) follows the DirectX guidelines to the tee, so long as any other games don't break the rules, they should see the same/similare result.. unfortunely i've yet to see this really come true.

Either way you look at it, i can't see the drivers NOT being mature, but missing critical MAJOR features, performing overall the poorly, drawing that MUCH power, i'd have to say that the Silon revision they decided to go with wasn't ready, shouldn't have been used.

However, i'd be thoroughly interested to see how well a fully DX10 compliant game reacts to the hardware, until i see that, i'll be sitting on the fence for awhile for sure.

Maybe AMD can pull a fast one, try and move these models out ASAP, then get the refresh out perhaps by mid summer start of fall..... and the refresh better then hell fix some serious issues.