DH Review: Radeon HD2900XT (Asus and Sapphire)

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, May 14, 2007.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

btw..

while drivers could seriously improve, i don't think that anyone should hold thier breath..

2. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  3. Vengeance

Vengeance New Member

I have to give kudos to DH for this review! I will say I never thought I would see the day!

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

those are indeed interesting

5. ronnn

ronnn New Member

Ati seems to be having problems with aa. If driver problem, this card will rock - if hardware issue - will take a refresh to fix it. Strange how it tends to beat the 8800 line at 2560 x 1600, not sure what that means. Maybe driver bug by nv. Either way this card will likely best the 640mb gts as drivers mature. So is more effiicient with memory, but less efficient with power. I think this review was somewhat limited and well off the mark, but enjoyable reading non-the-less. :D

6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

you know.....i said i would laugh so hard if the nVidia 8 series cards took a crap on the HD 2900XTs......

but now i feel sad, lol they company spent so much time and money to work out kinks, and the card is absolute junk after all that. massive heat output, crappy drivers, high power consumption, loud, use of 8 pin connectors, and overpriced.

but those updated drivers seem like a ray of hope for the cards and company, and card owners.....

ARE THERE ANY ADVANTAGES AT ALL TO THESE CARDS? video playback, HDCP support, general features? some that might make them worth buying?
    can HDCP run on 2560x1600 displays?

7. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Well your 3dMarks will be heavily optimized :rofl:

8. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

R600's AA runs differently than G80's due to a different hardware implementation, so no software fix unfortunately.

Having looked at a few reviews now, I'll be getting a 320MB GTS. Firstly, there's no ATI model in the $300 range (big gap in the line-up from $200 to $400.) Then looking at the power and performance of the 2900XT, it's hard to imagine that when ATI does have a $300 part, that it would be better than the 320MB GTS in either performance or power... and definitely not in both! And finally I'm in the market now, not in who-knows-how-long till they have a $300 part.

9. JohnDoe47

JohnDoe47 New Member

I already know that the mid-range x2xxx series will be based on pci-e 2.0 but will this version be?

10. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

I think that there's a lot of potential in this new line. Lots of power and some nice new features, and I think the card is far from tapped. However, it definitely needs a revision or two. I hope that the (upper) midrange cards perform well, since if done right there is quite a performance hole that they could fill.

Nice review too, thanks dh.

11. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

VR-zone had similar results in Q4, with an 40% boost.

I believe there is a lot more to get from the drivers, but it depends on if AMD is up to the task and get them optimised of if they are allready focused on a 2950 series.

12. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Man, this performance "problem" had been alluded to in the couple weeks past and undeniably confirmed through this outstanding review - thank you guys. I said "ouch" too, 'cause I too am disappointed.

Guess they had to show they could do a full featured DX10 card, and settle... AMD knew what the results would be, of course.

Indeed, for myself - still assembling components to put a total system together in the next couple months - Intel and Nvidia have a lock in my mind for the first time I can remember.

13. ronnn

ronnn New Member

Yep if only a hardware fix, we will have to wait for a refresh. The rumours of something busted are likely true. The 320mb gts looks like a nice card, but not in the same league performance wise with the 2900xt. Drivers will improve things alot - they always do with new tech and the gts will fall behind. Alot depends on how long you keep a card for really. I am still running my x1900gt and am in no hurry to change. Am waiting for vista - dx10 games to mature and will pick a winner at that time. If I was buying for today would pick up one of these cheap x1900's. For fps per $. hard to beat.

14. X1800XTTOP

X1800XTTOP New Member

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  15. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

now thats dumb.....DX10 games arent even out, by the time people will make use of the cards power, we may have beefier R700s and G90s or something that will put everything out currently in its place....

16. ronnn

ronnn New Member

There are people that buy $400 cards and hope to get more than a year out of it. Silly I know. :D

17. emmi

emmi Driverheaven Mirror Provider

I havent ordered the card yet and I doubt I will. X1950Pro is working just fine for me, but I have to say when I go DX10 the 8800GTX looks like a better option. I was really hoping for something better from ATi, better luck next time guys! :)

18. Intelman

Intelman New Member

The review said that F.E.A.R. was multithreaded, it is not.

19. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

20. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Is there a high-res movie of the demo in action anywhere?