DH Review: Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Jan 5, 2007.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Review here

With the recent launch of the Xbox 360 HD-Drive in the UK, Microsoft aim to bring High Definition movies to the masses. With the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive retaiing for a mere £130 it certainly appears to be the ideal "value for money solution". Even when factoring in the additional cost of a Xbox 360 Premium this works out less than many standalone HD players which are currently selling for around the £450 mark. Also can we get it working with a Windows based PC?

2. technonerd

technonerd New Member

DAMN YOU!!!

I'm very pleased with my new Xbox 360 since I brought it on December 26th from boxing day, 100 bux off. I was wonder about HD-DVD, now I really want it thank you Zardon for the review.

3. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Quick question, I might just have missed it but what happens when you put a game into the HD-DVD drive? Does it boot as normal?
    If so you could yank out the DVD drive from the Xbox leaving more room for cooling etc.

4. Smash15

Smash15 New Member

I'm wondering the same thing. For me the MAJOR problem with the normal DVD drive is that it's very, VERY noisy, kind of distracting. Is the HD-DVD drive more silent?

Great review by the way!

5. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

I bought this HD-DVD player. Well my brother did and it is amazing. It looks no different than the Toshiba A1 (the standalone).

We did try and put a standard dvd game into the drive and it loads up saying Please put the game in the dvd drive or something like that. I was hoping we could get a dual game drive out it as well. O well....

6. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

I will definately be buiying this once i have the cash, So glad I didnt start a dvd collection, Time for an HD-DVD Collection :)

7. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

im very iterested in this as a PC drive first and later for when i pick up a 360, one question though Zardon, will that special UDF file be made publicaly available or no? And also any experiance using it as a PC drive to Out put HD with ATI VIVO (720p+) to a HD screen?

8. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Very interested in buying one just for the HD-DVD playback on PCs... definately a lot cheaper than any PC HD DVD drive.

9. SuperVisor

SuperVisor New Member

I have a question too would the component cables be able to display 720p or 1080i using Hd drive. Or do you have to use vga cable.

10. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Given that Zardon uses component cables, and that he did mention, "The picture via the HD DVD player to the Dell 3707 HDTV LCD screen (1080i) is really incredible.", I can't see why not. ;)

11. HardwareHeaven

No you can not play game discs in this drive, Microsoft have set it that only games can be played from the internal drive. However you can play ordinary DVD movies etc with the HD-DVD drive. It is not that the drive is not capable of doing it, MS don't want people doing it for security reasons.

12. HardwareHeaven

To be perfectly honest I am not sure - you can however find it with a bit of searching, however if any DH members need it, drop me a pm with their email address and ill send it.

I didn't link to it from the article as im not sure of the legal ramifications.

13. HardwareHeaven

Component works fine.

14. HardwareHeaven

I find the HD-DVD drive quieter than the built in drive (it is a pretty high quality Toshiba drive), however as I stated in a previous reply you cannot play games in this drive if thats what you are looking to achieve.

15. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

I don't have a 360, and not planning to get one (just a Wii, when I can find it), but this does sound like a good option for a PC HD-DVD drive.

16. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

Thanks for the review! I've been thinking that this will be my next purchase for my 360, although now I'll have a spare remote. (Got the full remote for Christmas)

17. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

If the remote is anything like the standard 360 remote you will be able to use your spare with Vistas Media Centre should you ever move OS. (provided you have an IR receiver)

18. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've been trying to get my supplier to perhaps consider getting this drive in since the first review of this drive was done and confirmed PC connectivity and playback to work quite flawlessly.

i've yet to get a responce.

They would be a Steller external drive reguardless of what anyone says, now if only it could burn ;)

19. SuperVisor

SuperVisor New Member

Thanks tipstaff and Zardon must of missed it when I was reading the review. Now it gives me the reason to go for HD Drive cause my HDTV doesnt have vga ouput

20. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

:rolleyes:

what a waste my dvd burner is. the only times i use it is if i send somebody some music via mail (legally of course) and its more then 2GB. other then that it never gets used.

plus just like burned cd's the discs will last a max. or 3 years and then people start moaning "I lost my picture collection"....